Distinguished German Doctor Trying to get Licensure in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valkener

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm writing on behalf of my father-in-law, an experienced physician who runs a gastroenterologist center in a hospital in Berlin, Germany. His wife is American, and he is looking to move to the US and continue working as a physician. Green card and citizenship won't be a problem, but I realize medical licensure for the US is difficult to transfer. Does anyone know or could anyone help me figure out what the protocol is to get successfully licensed as a doctor in the US? All his credits come from German university, which is on the California list for transferable credits.
Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

He needs to take USMLE (United States-Medical Licencing Examination) tests. First one, which is in general called Step-1, is all about basic theoretical sciences and he can take it in his location, Germany. The next exam, which is called Step-2CK is about Clinical Knowledge, again a multiple choice test which he can take in his location, but Step-2CS is about Clinical Skills and he needs to go to US to take that exam. During that exam he will have to take some "fake-patients" who are pretending and acting as if they are ill and he will be tested with those patients: how he takes history, which diagnostics he demands etc. Step3, which is about ambulatory services, to my knowledge, can be taken later as well. The most important parts are Step1&2CK,CS.
http://www.usmle.org/bulletin/overview/#threesteps

For USMLE there are many courses and books to get prepared. After European system, he may need a serious study to both refresh his basic knowledges and, more than that, he may need to adjust for the style of those tests.

Hi all,

I'm writing on behalf of my father-in-law, an experienced physician who runs a gastroenterologist center in a hospital in Berlin, Germany. His wife is American, and he is looking to move to the US and continue working as a physician. Green card and citizenship won't be a problem, but I realize medical licensure for the US is difficult to transfer. Does anyone know or could anyone help me figure out what the protocol is to get successfully licensed as a doctor in the US? All his credits come from German university, which is on the California list for transferable credits.
Anything helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!! :thumbup:

In order to the prepare for the Steps, I'd recommend he take a Kaplan course as this course does well in revising everything from the beginning. It's a good program for those who've been out of tough with the pre-clinical sciences (Anatomy, Pathology, Pharmacology, Physiology, Histology, Neuroanatomy, Genetics, Behavioral Sciences etc.) which is pretty much what the Step 1 is composed of. Step 2 tests clinical sciences from a both practical (CS) and written MCQ (CK) perspective.

Since he's married to an American, he should have no visa problems. Normally, those who do not have any relatives tend to have visa problems and it is recommended that these students/graduates also take Step 3 to secure an H1 visa during residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
So he would have to do residency (again)? Is this 100% certain?

Yes, it is. He may get a one year exemption, but he will have to redo his residency. Only graduates from Ireland/UK/Australia/N.Z. may be exempt from doing residency (in certain fields) in a limited number of states (that recognise this provision)