DIT 2013 or 2014?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

santoukie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused so i have a FA 2013 and bought dit for 2013 course (they had an option for 2014). Was I suppose to purchase the 2014 DIT?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just doing a pre-run before my board studying. But it doesn't seem like the 2013 course follows the 2013 FA as much as I thought it would? I feel like I'm both listening to him reference the step up book, then trying to figure out what he's talking about in the FA... ?

Am I tripping?

are they no longer directly reading from first aid? I'm so confused haha. Maybe I have to redo my schedule (can't be adding extra resources like step up to have to cross reference with FA)

I'm confused so i have a FA 2013 and bought dit for 2013 course (they had an option for 2014). Was I suppose to purchase the 2014 DIT?

You should have bought 2013 unless you are just now finishing 1st year...

I'm just doing a pre-run before my board studying. But it doesn't seem like the 2013 course follows the 2013 FA as much as I thought it would? I feel like I'm both listening to him reference the step up book, then trying to figure out what he's talking about in the FA... ?

Am I tripping?

I'm about half way through and DIT 2013 follows FA 2013 very well. If they reference Step Up, that's something in addition to FA 2013, but those moments are few and far between. If you bought DIT 2013, you should have received a complimentary copy of Step Up. Trust me, they have been covering FA quite a lot thus far.

Members don't see this ad :)
No I'm a second year. Yeah okay. I thought it was more of someone literally reading me FA which in a weird way I kinda like haha.

I was about to jump ship and just do pathoma/fa/uworld. But I'll take your word for it on DIT. I watched the first 2, but wasn't sure if he was suppose to read directly word to word, or just highlighting some of the words in FA.

How much time off do you get to study for step 1? or are you just starting DIT early (non dedicated board time)?

No I'm a second year. Yeah okay. I thought it was more of someone literally reading me FA which in a weird way I kinda like haha.

I was about to jump ship and just do pathoma/fa/uworld. But I'll take your word for it on DIT. I watched the first 2, but wasn't sure if he was suppose to read directly word to word, or just highlighting some of the words in FA.

How much time off do you get to study for step 1? or are you just starting DIT early (non dedicated board time)?

That's pretty much all it is honestly haha, they do a lot of reading to you out of first aid, embellishing the bullets with stuff from their study guide book or Step Up. At the rate they've been going, I'm pretty sure they will have done all of FA, with a little added from their own sources. I've liked it because it provides structure for me, and makes the very bulleted format of FA more digestible. I take Step I on May 29, my school only gave me freaking 2 weeks of dedicated study time. We just finished our last in-house exam last Friday, and MS3 starts second Monday of June. So I'm literally flying through DIT for the structured review as I do lots and lots of UWorld, I already finished Pathoma throughout the year and have been reviewing that as well.

That's pretty much all it is honestly haha, they do a lot of reading to you out of first aid, embellishing the bullets with stuff from their study guide book or Step Up. At the rate they've been going, I'm pretty sure they will have done all of FA, with a little added from their own sources. I've liked it because it provides structure for me, and makes the very bulleted format of FA more digestible. I take Step I on May 29, my school only gave me freaking 2 weeks of dedicated study time. We just finished our last in-house exam last Friday, and MS3 starts second Monday of June. So I'm literally flying through DIT for the structured review as I do lots and lots of UWorld, I already finished Pathoma throughout the year and have been reviewing that as well.

Nice, Hey I really appreciate you helping me out during ur study period. If anytime you stop responding to my posts, I totally understand. But I just have a few questions. I'm like running DIT 2-3 videos tonight so i can hit the ground running tomorrow.

But have you notice for each page, they skip couple things? And for each page they add a lot of material. i.e. teratogenic drugs, he lists a couple more that's not DIT. And he skips a couple lines on the page about other things. Also going over the drugs he kind of jumps from one drug to another rather than following down the line in FA?

Is this what you're working with? And I feel really about a 2 week turn around for you guys. That's disgusting.

If I can just ask one more question. Do you just follow along and then stop and think about what just happened? haha. I was going for the 15 day plan. But do you watch the videos then go over what you just watched? Lastly will he eventually tell us what Uworld questions to do, or do we just have to seek out u world questions relating to that days videos on our own?

Sorry for all the questions. I just figured DIT was a plug and play system haha. Or maybe I'm just dumb. haha.

Nice, Hey I really appreciate you helping me out during ur study period. If anytime you stop responding to my posts, I totally understand. But I just have a few questions. I'm like running DIT 2-3 videos tonight so i can hit the ground running tomorrow.

But have you notice for each page, they skip couple things? And for each page they add a lot of material. i.e. teratogenic drugs, he lists a couple more that's not DIT. And he skips a couple lines on the page about other things. Also going over the drugs he kind of jumps from one drug to another rather than following down the line in FA?

Is this what you're working with? And I feel really about a 2 week turn around for you guys. That's disgusting.

Haha it's all good, I can't stare at study stuff all day long so I find myself on here from time to time. I have noticed that they skip around a lot, and don't just read FA from page 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. But they do eventually hit everything. They are just following their own "curriculum" if you will. Some people don't like it, but like I said earlier it has helped me with structuring my study time.

If I can just ask one more question. Do you just follow along and then stop and think about what just happened? haha. I was going for the 15 day plan. But do you watch the videos then go over what you just watched? Lastly will he eventually tell us what Uworld questions to do, or do we just have to seek out u world questions relating to that days videos on our own?

Sorry for all the questions. I just figured DIT was a plug and play system haha. Or maybe I'm just dumb. haha.

They really don't give much guidance with how to actually do their videos, I'm pretty sure they just want to sell you their advising service haha. Since I have so little time, I've basically been doing 12 videos a day, so I should be done after about 17 days worth of this. I started last week during exam week, which was NOT easy to keep up with and still pass shelf exams haha, but I tried to keep up so I can finish and not waste my $$$. I watch them at 1.5 speed and try to not spend more than 1/2 an hour per video (including answering their little quiz questions and annotating FA). If I feel like something they say is important and not in FA, I'll write it down, but mostly I don't get too stressed if they have a lot to add in addition to FA. If it's rote memorization something, I write say it out loud or write it down until I remember it. They don't tell you what UWorld questions to do specifically, but I just set my Qbank in timed, mixed mode and only select the topics I have covered in the days videos. I memorize really well by walking around, so after all that, in the early evening I pace around outside with my notes and go over everything I have done that day. It's rough, I probably put in about 14-15 hours in a day and I'll probably be really burned out by the time I'm done with Step I, but when I'm only given 2 weeks of blank time to study, well, I guess I have no choice haha. I feel like it's something you get out of it as much as you put into, so good luck!!! We'll be done with this mess soon enough haha.

That's insane madness. I can't even fathom how you memorize anything. I'm actually not the birghtest bulb in the class (actually probably the dimmest), so I do summary sheets to help. But step 1 studying doesn't seem condusive to making summary sheets haha.

Haha it's all good, I can't stare at study stuff all day long so I find myself on here from time to time. I have noticed that they skip around a lot, and don't just read FA from page 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. But they do eventually hit everything. They are just following their own "curriculum" if you will. Some people don't like it, but like I said earlier it has helped me with structuring my study time.

They really don't give much guidance with how to actually do their videos, I'm pretty sure they just want to sell you their advising service haha. Since I have so little time, I've basically been doing 12 videos a day, so I should be done after about 17 days worth of this. I started last week during exam week, which was NOT easy to keep up with and still pass shelf exams haha, but I tried to keep up so I can finish and not waste my $$$. I watch them at 1.5 speed and try to not spend more than 1/2 an hour per video (including answering their little quiz questions and annotating FA). If I feel like something they say is important and not in FA, I'll write it down, but mostly I don't get too stressed if they have a lot to add in addition to FA. If it's rote memorization something, I write say it out loud or write it down until I remember it. They don't tell you what UWorld questions to do specifically, but I just set my Qbank in timed, mixed mode and only select the topics I have covered in the days videos. I memorize really well by walking around, so after all that, in the early evening I pace around outside with my notes and go over everything I have done that day. It's rough, I probably put in about 14-15 hours in a day and I'll probably be really burned out by the time I'm done with Step I, but when I'm only given 2 weeks of blank time to study, well, I guess I have no choice haha. I feel like it's something you get out of it as much as you put into, so good luck!!! We'll be done with this mess soon enough haha.

That's insane madness. I can't even fathom how you memorize anything. I'm actually not the birghtest bulb in the class (actually probably the dimmest), so I do summary sheets to help. But step 1 studying doesn't seem condusive to making summary sheets haha.

I used to love making summary sheets and flash cards, but I quickly learned in med school that I can't keep up if I do. Maybe I'm just too slow haha. I really don't have time to do summary sheets for Step 1, but if it works for you do it!! I don't even know if I am successfully memorizing everything either, I'm hoping that as I go through this I've already had it memorized from the year and this is a review, but I also feel like Step I is 50% how smart you are, 50% how lucky you are that they ask what you know!!

Nice just wrapping up day 1. Finished 11-12 lectures. Just wondering are you pausing between each lecture to review that lecture before starting the next one or are you just moving on and only puasing for the questions/quizzes/annotations? Or are you just blasting through lecture by lecture.

I used to love making summary sheets and flash cards, but I quickly learned in med school that I can't keep up if I do. Maybe I'm just too slow haha. I really don't have time to do summary sheets for Step 1, but if it works for you do it!! I don't even know if I am successfully memorizing everything either, I'm hoping that as I go through this I've already had it memorized from the year and this is a review, but I also feel like Step I is 50% how smart you are, 50% how lucky you are that they ask what you know!!

Nice just wrapping up day 1. Finished 11-12 lectures. Just wondering are you pausing between each lecture to review that lecture before starting the next one or are you just moving on and only puasing for the questions/quizzes/annotations? Or are you just blasting through lecture by lecture.

I'm on day 8 of DIT and about 85 videos on. I will either read something and try to get a good understanding of it right before they talk about it (that way I already know to listen for explanations of things I don't understand) or I read it after they say it. Sometimes I do both if its something I really need to brush up on.

One thing I do is during the pre-lecture quizzes I'll make myself look at the FA page they reference after trying to answer it by memory and re-read that column or page. That way I'm exposing myself to that portion of FA again.

I am mostly trying to learn as they present the material! I pause often to take notes and if it's something that requires rote memorization (like a pathway or something) I write it out a couple of times. They review stuff from all over throughout the warms ups and end of session quizzes, so I feel I have been getting a good review. Every evening, I take what I have been presented in FA and walk around outside while I go over it again, and study related pages in Pathoma. Hopefully this is enough to stick. I freak out sometimes when I see everyone else doing UWorld through twice, reading FA 5-6 times, etc etc. I'm just trying to do my best here... Got a 208 on the CBSE my school gave, going to take another one this weekend... I want 30 more points at least!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am mostly trying to learn as they present the material! I pause often to take notes and if it's something that requires rote memorization (like a pathway or something) I write it out a couple of times. They review stuff from all over throughout the warms ups and end of session quizzes, so I feel I have been getting a good review. Every evening, I take what I have been presented in FA and walk around outside while I go over it again, and study related pages in Pathoma. Hopefully this is enough to stick. I freak out sometimes when I see everyone else doing UWorld through twice, reading FA 5-6 times, etc etc. I'm just trying to do my best here... Got a 208 on the CBSE my school gave, going to take another one this weekend... I want 30 more points at least!

Good luck! Looks like both of us got a 73 on the CBSE. I'll be happy with a 30 point increase as well.

Guys any substantial difference between the 2012 and 2013 videos?

Yes actually, they are pretty different! For the 2013 version, there are about 60 more lectures, but each lecture is much shorter (~20-25 minutes, some as short as 15 minutes). This also means there are much more quizzes and questions to keep reviewing. They also stuck in a lot more of the super awkward to watch clips at the ends of their videos, where they try way too hard to be funny haha. Some of them are actually kind of funny, but most are just weird! Either way, I guess sometimes it's the stupid stuff that sticks!

DIT is pretty rough. I'm getting in about 11-12 videos a day since they are so short (each lecture ~20 min) . If you add up all the quizzes it really takes some time. I've been doing nothing but DIT. A lil worried. But we'll see if I can blast through first pass FA with DIT and have 3 weeks to do second plass + all Uworld with pathoma here and there.

I'll let you guys know how this all turns out. But yes 2013 is different in that sense

I was going to start the 2012 version today...it seems like most of the notes they give are just pre and post quizzes, so you are suppose to use first aid while watching? I have like a month and half left of studying, but I was hoping to get DIT done in 2 weeks just in case it doesn't help me memorize everything

I also can't decide if I should get USMLE Rx or just do UWorld 2 times, cause I only have 700 questions left in Uworld

how do you have 700 questions left, did you do it during second year? or are you an IMG?

DIT takes sometime if you want to do it properly, especially if you don't know some of the material as well as you thought you did. You can blast through it at 1.5 speed. but I'm not sure how much I'm retaining Follow along FA, do the pre/post quizzes and hope that UWORLD and 2nd pass through FA will help you cement the memorization details. That's my goal/plan

I've been doing Uworld since spring break, cause I really wanted to get through it twice. DIT seems okay so far, but I'm not sure how much of it will actually stick. I like the idea of just doing the pre and post quizzes. I got 217 on NBME 7 so I just wanna try anything to try raise my score like 20 points in the next month and half...since what I was doing before wasn't working well

Ok Nevermind took me a grand total of 10 minutes to get the website to load (good internet conection) but it's loaded and good to go.

Ok Nevermind took me a grand total of 10 minutes to get the website to load (good internet conection) but it's loaded and good to go.

I've been following their twitter account, and I guess the server that hosts their website has been under a DDOS attack the past couple of days. I don't know much (if anything at all) about computer terminology, but I guess they are getting the situation back under control!

Yeah, I've been emailing them. I know they're working hard on getting their system more air tight.

How's the study coming?
I'm like 62% done with these videos...I think I'm taking too long. Might see if I can power through the rest in the next 3-4 days.

By the way has anyone made a list of the whiteboard topics? I started listing them too late in the game. Thanks

By the way has anyone made a list of the whiteboard topics? I started listing them too late in the game. Thanks

After taking Step I, I actually don't think it's really worth the time to write out whiteboard topics. But that's just my opinion, maybe because I didn't really get any questions where whiteboard topics would have helped.

Would DIT be of any value just after first year?

It wouldn't be helpful at all, DIT is set up to help you through First Aid shortly before you take Step I. It's helpful in that it takes what you should have learned during MS1 & MS2 and brings it to the front of your brain. I'd wait to start it until you enter your dedicated study time before Step I!

Oh and just so you know, I'm really glad I did DIT before Step I, I can't even tell you how many times I referenced something they said or did while I was taking the big test. There where even a couple questions that weren't referenced in First Aid, but DIT picked up the slack. Stick with it, it's good stuff!