Diversity Essay Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

almostthere5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
sounds cool to me

only part I didn't like was going directly from literary art to saying medicine is an art

you need a slightly better segue

Have you read any short stories, novels or poetry by physicians? Reading and writing don't make you unique but do give you membership in a small club.
Richard Selzer who died recently was a surgeon turned writer. William Carlos Williams was a poet and physician. Perri Klass is a pediatrician and writer of both essays and novels. There are tons more.... If you want to highlight your interest in what is sometimes called the "medical humanities" then go for it. Someone on the adcom is bound to eat it up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you read any short stories, novels or poetry by physicians? Reading and writing don't make you unique but do give you membership in a small club.
Richard Selzer who died recently was a surgeon turned writer. William Carlos Williams was a poet and physician. Perri Klass is a pediatrician and writer of both essays and novels. There are tons more.... If you want to highlight your interest in what is sometimes called the "medical humanities" then go for it. Someone on the adcom is bound to eat it up.
Hi LizzyM,

AH thank you for the response! I actually had the idea after finishing When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi last night (and crying my eyes out). I have also read Atul Gawande's The Checklist Manifesto. But other than that I haven't really read novels by physicians specifically. I just think that the perspective literature has given me has made me look for the 'themes' or lessons in life, too.

I so appreciate your advice! Thank you! :D I will try to write it up.

Don't forget Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Anton Chekov

Reactions: 1 users
Don't forget Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Anton Chekov
Hi Goro! Thanks for the response. Do you have any advice on writing about being excited for practicing/learning in a medical context with a humanities/literature/philosophy angle? Specifically for a diversity essay? THANKS!