"Diversity"....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I posted this in the Pre-allo main forum, but I refined my question a bit:

Should the diversity essay be like a list of all the reasons you're diverse, with details (I have a diverse educational background, my clinical experience at X taught me a lot about underserved populations, and my experience with public health organization Y gives me a broad policy-based outlook on medicine), OR should it be just one thing in detail?

This essay I'm referring to is the 250 word essay in the UMich, Mount Sinai, UPitt, Keck, and other secondaries. It basically asks how I will bring diversity to the school, or what makes me unique or special.

Members don't see this ad.

Because I am a white male and really the only thing I can contribute to diversity is that I speak German, I added a funny bit at the end about how my town holds a record for something that is stupid.
I mentioned things about sports and volunteering and blah stuff, but I felt that its nothing that is actually diverse so I thought it would be funny and a change of pace for the adcoms. I havent received an interview yet though so i wouldnt really recommend it.
But what do they really expect from a white male, the most discriminated group in the US now?

The White male is now the most discriminated group in the US now? Please, spare me.

Personally, I answered each a little bit differently based on the school (especially Keck's with the part A and part B to this question). Depending on the phrasing, I went into my various experiences and jobs with different groups of people, highlighting certain ECs, but not really dwelling on them if they were mentioned in my primary. I also threw in things I've been doing since grade school that are hobbies not necessarily mentioned on my AMCAS app, but which help define me, as an individual.

Despite what SunDevilDoc wrote, I am fairly certain the last thing any AdCom is looking for is that "I'm Black/Latino/East Asian/Female/etc."...that's clearly identified (if you chose to do so) on your AMCAS app. The diversity they are referring to is more along the lines of what would you add to their community? What unique experiences, interests, and outlooks do you have that make you you? And there is no one way to do that.

Personally, I wouldn't chose one item in-detail (but, I know it's difficult for those with a tight word limit), but don't feel compelled to mention everything you've done in life. Focus on the ones you believe most describe your character, and those probably not previously elaborated on, so that AdComs can truly learn more about you. Also, try to weave a common theme through your essay if you can (might not be possible, but it's great if you can tie it all together in 1 word or thought).

Members don't see this ad :)
i write about my educational background (philosophy major) and how i spent most of my life working at a job with mostly ex-convicts and people just out of rehab.

I was planning to write about how I grew up in NYC/Bklyn and have been working full-time since I was 16... this way I can weave in how hardworking and dedicated that shows I am, hah. I wasn't even going to mention that I am puerto rican/cuban/jewish/have ovaries, since I don't see how those things contribute anything to a school's "community of diversity" or whatever. There are plenty of puerto ricans & women to go around here.

When it comes to the medical school admissions process I think SunDevilDoc has a valid point. If you are a white male, then you need to do well beyond the average stats that med schools post. I think the problem is there are too many white and asian males that look qualified on paper when it comes to stats and that have similar backgrounds. Thus, it is harder for them... For many minorities, I think they have some interesting story about how they came to be where they are that sets them apart and adds to the "diversity" of the school...

When it comes to the medical school admissions process I think SunDevilDoc has a valid point. If you are a white male, then you need to do well beyond the average stats that med schools post. I think the problem is there are too many white and asian males that look qualified on paper when it comes to stats and that have similar backgrounds. Thus, it is harder for them... For many minorities, I think they have some interesting story about how they came to be where they are that sets them apart and adds to the "diversity" of the school...

could be wrong, but I was under the impression that more women are applying now than men...but the populations are the schools I am applying to anyway are still around 50/50...making your comment about the higher stats seem unlikely. I am pretty sure my being a female is not in the least bit helpful anymore...

Agreed, though, that white males have a hard time writing a diversity essay.

All I can say is thank god I majored in art history.

Because I am a white male and really the only thing I can contribute to diversity is that I speak German, I added a funny bit at the end about how my town holds a record for something that is stupid.
I mentioned things about sports and volunteering and blah stuff, but I felt that its nothing that is actually diverse so I thought it would be funny and a change of pace for the adcoms. I havent received an interview yet though so i wouldnt really recommend it.
But what do they really expect from a white male, the most discriminated group in the US now?

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.