Army Division and Corps Surgeons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProudMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that the Army still has division and corps surgeons in addition to the much more common battalion and brigade surgeons. Does anyone know what rank division and corps surgeons hold? I've searched online quite a bit but couldn't find any specific information.

Since brigade surgeons are often LTCs or COLs, would division surgeons and above be general officers?

Members don't see this ad.

No, brigade surgeons are either CPTs or MAJ. Division surgeons are LTC. Corps surgeons are COL

Reactions: 1 user
No, brigade surgeons are either CPTs or MAJ. Division surgeons are LTC. Corps surgeons are COL

Thanks for the answer. I didn't quite expect that those "surgeons" (the top medical personnel in a military unit) are so many ranks lower than the commanding officer/general of those respective military units. If a brigade commander is a COL, I thought that a brigade surgeon should be a LTC, one step below, but I guess not.

EDIT: though I shouldn't be surprised by this. After all, the Army (and the rest of the military) is primarily a war-fighting/combat force, so it makes sense that combat arm branches and officers are given precedence when it comes to ranks. Oh well...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's actually quite common for them to be that rank, you will be the same rank as all of the other staff officers on your respective staff. In the brigade all primary brigade staff will be MAJ, you have to remember that the commanders need to outrank their subordinate commanders so a COL commanding a brigade needs to just outranks his BN commanders who are LTC

It's actually quite common for them to be that rank, you will be the same rank as all of the other staff officers on your respective staff. In the brigade all primary brigade staff will be MAJ, you have to remember that the commanders need to outrank their subordinate commanders so a COL commanding a brigade needs to just outranks his BN commanders who are LTC

Gotcha. I used to think that since a division commander is a MG, then a division surgeon should be a BG. But the way you explained it makes sense.