Divorced/Seperated Parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reesie0726

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying for institutional aid from schools, they all say that they want both parents info even if they are divorced and seperated. What if you really can not get in touch with one parent or if one parent is totally out of the picture? Are they really strict about this rule?

Members don't see this ad.

I really don't know. I just turned in my FAFSA, and I have never even met my father. I don't think they'd give you much of a hassle over it, if you explain the situation.

Good luck. :)

Are you stilled considered a "dependent" student by FAFSA? If not, you are NOT required to submit info on EITHER of your parents to receive any and all federal loans. The catch is that your prospective SCHOOL will require parental data if you want to receive low/no-interest loans or grants from them.

My parents are divorced and both remarried, and although I am WAY past being considered a "dependent" student by FAFSA (I'm married too!), I was required to get financial info from my father & his wife (only). My school asked that I provide the data of the parent who "would provide the most financial help" (which is ridiculous, since I don't GET any help at my age!!!). I picked the parent who had the least "combined" income! I hardly think it's fair of the school to consider my father's wife, or my mother's husband's income as part of MY financial aid.....especially since neither of my parents got remarried until I was in my LATE 20's!! These people did NOT raise me...they have had no say what-so-ever in my upbringing or life (other than marrying my parents)...I find it LUDICRIS that I have to submit THEIR income!!! Notice that I didn't even call them "step-parents"...they are my "parent's spouses"

If they were to ask me for my Mom and Dad's INDIVIDUAL income's it may seem more fair (ignoring the ever-present fact that I DON'T GET ANY FREAKING MONEY FROM THEM)...but that's not what they wanted.

Anyway...sorry about the rant...this is a sore subject for me because I am FORCED to get this info so I can get money. Yet GETTING the info from my Dad is like pulling frickin' teeth (he's one of those "I hate big brother" types)...so the whole situation just pi$$e$ me off to no end...

Members don't see this ad :)
Cobragirl - my parents are divorced (6 yrs ago when I was in HS) and re-married too (and getting info from my dad is an exercise in patience to say the LEAST.)

Were schools fairly understanding/accomidating to your situation? If you don't mind, could you tell me how you approached the fin aid offices with your situation??

Getting info from my mom and her spose are no problem, but my dad and his new wife, quite another story. I just hate the fact that my financial future might be compromised becuase of someone else that I can't control!! I am ready to pull my hair out!!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Cobragirl:
•I find it LUDICRIS that I have to submit THEIR income!!! Notice that I didn't even call them "step-parents"...they are my "parent's spouses"•••••I'm in the same situation. I've actually been married longer than my mother and her husband. :)

I also have been married longer than both my sets of "parents". I called VCU and they said that they use the FASA information to see if I qualify for any low income grants or scholorships. I did not fill out the info because #1 my father is a retired Dentist and there is no way he is low income and #2 I have been married 11 years and have 3.5 kids and served 5 years in the Navy and as Cobragirl said I will not get a red dime from either of them. I think that this is a little annoying also but VCU said that their information is not nessary.

My parents passed away, but there is no 'checkbox' for it on the form. What do I put? I am not over 30, but even so, my parents were living in a poor foreign country and never contributed to my education (i actually sent money to them).