DIY - Building a Plinth Table

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student PT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I have decided to build a plinth table to have in my house because it's a little hard to practice manual therapy techniques on the floor or on a nice squishy bed. I was wondering if anyone had any experience building their own plinth tables and might be able to point me to any especially good materials to use. I am pretty handy and have access to a lot of carpentry tools. I'm hoping to start on this bad boy around May:xf:, when classes are a little less crazy for my program. I also figure that I'll just take some detailed measurements from a plinth table in our PT building. Any suggestions/experience?

I'll probably do some photo documentation of my progress and post it on here for anyone else who wants to follow suit.

Members don't see this ad.

Will you make me one and send it to me? Lol. I totally agree, practicing manual techniques at home is a pain. I'm a commuter, so I always have to head up to school to practice in the dry lab, booo.

I would probably just check craiglist and find a used portable table cheap. Save a lot of hassle and it'd be a lot easier to move! Those portable massage tables are excellent!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably just check craiglist and find a used portable table cheap. Save a lot of hassle and it'd be a lot easier to move! Those portable massage tables are excellent!

I've thought about doing such a thing, but I really want a project for this summer - something to do with my hands. And while I agree, it'd be much simpler, faster, and more portable to just buy one off craigslist, I'd feel much better knowing I was using something I made with my own hands instead of something I bought used that might fall apart any second (depending on who the person is you buy from on C-list).

I'm also looking into making it with light, sturdy wood and maybe even trying to make it portable/more easy to stow away.

Well have fun! It sounds like a fun project. Our clinic had new tables made last year and had some of our old tables re-built last summer. Whole lot cheaper than buying them from a nationwide company!

I think you'll probably find the biggest expense is going to be in the padding and upholstery...