About the ads

DIY - Building a Plinth Table

Discussion in 'Physical Therapy' started by Student PT, Feb 18, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Student PT

Student PT

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Recently I have decided to build a plinth table to have in my house because it's a little hard to practice manual therapy techniques on the floor or on a nice squishy bed. I was wondering if anyone had any experience building their own plinth tables and might be able to point me to any especially good materials to use. I am pretty handy and have access to a lot of carpentry tools. I'm hoping to start on this bad boy around May:xf:, when classes are a little less crazy for my program. I also figure that I'll just take some detailed measurements from a plinth table in our PT building. Any suggestions/experience?

I'll probably do some photo documentation of my progress and post it on here for anyone else who wants to follow suit.
  2. dizzy88

dizzy88

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Will you make me one and send it to me? Lol. I totally agree, practicing manual techniques at home is a pain. I'm a commuter, so I always have to head up to school to practice in the dry lab, booo.
  3. atstudent

atstudent Certified Athletic Traine

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I would probably just check craiglist and find a used portable table cheap. Save a lot of hassle and it'd be a lot easier to move! Those portable massage tables are excellent!
  4. Student PT

Student PT

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I've thought about doing such a thing, but I really want a project for this summer - something to do with my hands. And while I agree, it'd be much simpler, faster, and more portable to just buy one off craigslist, I'd feel much better knowing I was using something I made with my own hands instead of something I bought used that might fall apart any second (depending on who the person is you buy from on C-list).

I'm also looking into making it with light, sturdy wood and maybe even trying to make it portable/more easy to stow away.
  5. atstudent

atstudent Certified Athletic Traine

Non-Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Well have fun! It sounds like a fun project. Our clinic had new tables made last year and had some of our old tables re-built last summer. Whole lot cheaper than buying them from a nationwide company!

I think you'll probably find the biggest expense is going to be in the padding and upholstery...