DIY Post Bacc Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishRN2doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been researching DIY Post Bacc and I found a school, close to me that offers all the classes I need to do my DIY.

My question is has anyone ever applied as a second degree student to take the classes, making yourself eligible for financial aid and giving you some registration priority as opposed to being a student at large with no financial aid or registration priority?

Basically my only issue is whether I will be able to get into the classes I need. I would hate to attempt this version of a post bacc only for it to take much longer because the classes are full.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a DIY at a local state uni.

I was advised by the prehealth advisor, and correctly, I believe, to enroll as a 2nd major. They did not offer a formal postbac.
I enrolled as a chem major and had no trouble getting the classes I needed, and was able to easily get student loans/any benefits. I never had any flak from not sticking to the program. I was in and out in 2 years with no issues.
Talk to your prehealth advisors, if you have them. Mine were very cool and helpful. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I have been researching DIY Post Bacc and I found a school, close to me that offers all the classes I need to do my DIY.

My question is has anyone ever applied as a second degree student to take the classes, making yourself eligible for financial aid and giving you some registration priority as opposed to being a student at large with no financial aid or registration priority?

Basically my only issue is whether I will be able to get into the classes I need. I would hate to attempt this version of a post bacc only for it to take much longer because the classes are full.

Being able to register for a class depends on the school and the course itself. Talk to current students at the school for school-specific advice. I'm sure you'll be able to complete the pre-reqs if you're tenacious enough (and demand for science classes at the school isn't outrageous).

Members don't see this ad :)
The school I did my DIY post-bacc in gives very low registration priority to second degree students. We come after all the undergrads, and before only the non-matriculated. I was able to get all the science classes I needed by being very persistent, as in checking the registration website several times a day and nabbing a seat as soon as one opened up. It was stressful, but doable. Find out how things are at your school before doing that though.

My school didn't care if I was a first degree, fifth degree, or twentieth degree candidate. They went by total # of credits for registration time which was great for me.

Second degree student having more registration priority as opposed to my other option, non degree seeking student.

I'm doing a DIY postbacc as a 2nd degree student right now and it's been great. 3 semesters done, 1 more to finish the pre-reqs, 2 additional to finish the degree.
My school goes by credits for registration priority, so I register for classes with the seniors and have never had trouble getting a class I wanted/needed, other than basic scheduling issues since I can't be in 2 places at the same time. I get fin.aid and regular tuition instead of paying by the credit hour. If you have any particular questions, let me know. If you just wanted to know if other people are in the same boat, then the answer's yes. :)