DIY Post-bacc questions for dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toadesque

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am probably going to take this route, however I'm a bit unclear about a few things

-How do I know which classes specifically to take (I graduated as a Bio major already)? All I have heard from those I have asked is that they need to be upper level bio courses and nothing I've already taken.

-Can these classes be taken at any university?

-Do I enroll as an extension student to take the classes and if so does that put me at the bottom of the barrel for selecting classes?

I really do not want to take the formal route as that will cost a lot

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Answers in bold.

-How do I know which classes specifically to take (I graduated as a Bio major already)? All I have heard from those I have asked is that they need to be upper level bio courses and nothing I've already taken.

As long as it's not plant, ecology or evolution biology only, that should be ok

-Can these classes be taken at any university?
Yes. 4 year university

-Do I enroll as an extension student to take the classes and if so does that put me at the bottom of the barrel for selecting classes?
That depends on the school, but yes, you want to be admitted in formal postbac programs, so your priority to add classes are higher. There are some cheap postbacs like CSULA, or you can find a 2nd bachelor degree.

I really do not want to take the formal route as that will cost a lot.

The problems I've discovered with a formal post-bacc is that not only do they cost more, but I would have to actually apply to get into one and then wait a whole another year just to start it. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Some extension programs allow you to take courses as long as you can pay them, such as UCLA-Extension. It's first come first serve.

Yeah it looks like they have a couple of classes open but I think it's pointless to enroll this quarter anyway since the classes started next week, will probably try to get in on the next. But damn it's expensive for each class :eek: