DIY post bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolverine93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from undergrad recently from a top 30 university. It was way too competitive there for me and my grades took a dive.

I have a 2.86 cumulative GPA and my science GPA is about a 2.5.

I'm thinking of doing a DIY post bacc at a university close to home to save money.

Has anyone done this before and ended up successful? I was thinking it could really help with the grade replacement policy DO schools have.

I want to retake classes I got a C or worse in. Should I take upper level science classes too?

Members don't see this ad.

I have done the DIY post bac and it have gone the long way in doing it because I didn't know about grade replacement until last fall. I am currently wait listed for this August and plan to reapply. I graduated from undergrad with about a 2.6 and after retakes and post-bac pre-req sciences, I am now at a 3.07 cumulative and ~3.52 science gpa. I also did many retakes at a community college and made sure that the schools I plan on applying to accept them. I say do the retakes first then jump into some upper level bio. If you are feeling confident, do both at the same time.

Very similar situation. DIY worked out very well for me. Retook at a local state school (nothing special). You'll save a lot of money with DIY, plus you'll repair your uGPA's instead of trying to cover it up with a master's GPA...I have heard conflicting things about whether to replace or go for masters from various admissions departments, although most seemed to (for DO school) say do DIY retakes. The MD's advised masters programs more.

In my opinion, the DIY shows initiative, which is what makes it appealing to schools.

I have had 3 acceptances to DO schools, so it has worked out for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's great to hear! Happy It worked out for you! Would you recommend taking the classes at a CC to save money? Or should I take them at a four year university?
I really messed up and I have quite a few I need to retake, about 23 credits worth.
From what I've been reading DO schools don't really care if you re-take classes at a CC, but I just wanted to see if it would hurt me. MD programs definitely seem to prefer graduate level coursework, but I'm aiming for DO.

Very similar situation. DIY worked out very well for me. Retook at a local state school (nothing special). You'll save a lot of money with DIY, plus you'll repair your uGPA's instead of trying to cover it up with a master's GPA...I have heard conflicting things about whether to replace or go for masters from various admissions departments, although most seemed to (for DO school) say do DIY retakes. The MD's advised masters programs more.

In my opinion, the DIY shows initiative, which is what makes it appealing to schools.

I have had 3 acceptances to DO schools, so it has worked out for me.

That's great to hear! Happy It worked out for you! Would you recommend taking the classes at a CC to save money? Or should I take them at a four year university?
I really messed up and I have quite a few I need to retake, about 23 credits worth.
From what I've been reading DO schools don't really care if you re-take classes at a CC, but I just wanted to see if it would hurt me. MD programs definitely seem to prefer graduate level coursework, but I'm aiming for DO.
If I were you, I would reach out to the schools you are interested in and find out what their thoughts are on doing re-takes at a CC. It should be fine but doesn't hurt to double check. I know schools like RVU and NYIT aren't a big fan of CC courses but most don't care. Do what is more economical and complimentary to your work/volunteer/personal schedule. If you are re-taking 23 credits, you should get a nice gpa boost if you earn A's in those courses. Maybe look into taking some upper-level bio while doing re-takes so when it comes time to apply, the adcoms can see that you were willing to do what it takes to boost the gpa and also expand your knowledge and challenge yourself more with higher-tiered courses.

Thank you! From what I'm seeing it should be fine to go to a CC. I'll call to double check.

I really appreciate the constructive advice!

If I were you, I would reach out to the schools you are interested in and find out what their thoughts are on doing re-takes at a CC. It should be fine but doesn't hurt to double check. I know schools like RVU and NYIT aren't a big fan of CC courses but most don't care. Do what is more economical and complimentary to your work/volunteer/personal schedule. If you are re-taking 23 credits, you should get a nice gpa boost if you earn A's in those courses. Maybe look into taking some upper-level bio while doing re-takes so when it comes time to apply, the adcoms can see that you were willing to do what it takes to boost the gpa and also expand your knowledge and challenge yourself more with higher-tiered courses.

Some CC's might not offer the upper level bio/chem courses (300s-400s) you may be looking for. That was my personal experience.

From what I'm seeing they don't offer too many upper level options. But I still think it would be good for me to go there and take lower level courses.
There is a 4 year university near me that has decently priced tuition so I can go there for upper level classes!

Many of my current students have done this. It's a very successful venue. And yes, retake every F/D/C science grade, and add a few upper courses. Do well and you'll be set.

I graduated from undergrad recently from a top 30 university. It was way too competitive there for me and my grades took a dive.

I have a 2.86 cumulative GPA and my science GPA is about a 2.5.

I'm thinking of doing a DIY post bacc at a university close to home to save money.

Has anyone done this before and ended up successful? I was thinking it could really help with the grade replacement policy DO schools have.

I want to retake classes I got a C or worse in. Should I take upper level science classes too?

Reactions: 1 users
What is a DIY?? Is this similar to a post bacc program?

Do it yourself (DIY). So an unofficial postvacc

To the OP... First off, I do think a DIY postbacc can help and I think its definitely possible to get in, as others have suggested. Having said that, i don't want to be any kind of jerk, but since no one else brought it up. I guess I am a little concerned about your excuse for doing poorly. Just realize that when you are in med school you are seriously competing against the best of the best. So think back to undergrad and you know those handfuls of people who were really hard to compete against, those are the people who get into med school and will be your colleagues. A few slackers make it through, but essentially most people that will be in your class will all be very smart and hard working. I imagine at most DO schools there is not a massive amount of gunnerism compared to the ivy leagues, but all the same the grade curves will still exist.

So again, just to sort of suggest something that no one has brought up, its definitely something for you to think about before committing down this path further.

Reactions: 1 user
Do it yourself (DIY). So an unofficial postvacc

To the OP... First off, I do think a DIY postbacc can help and I think its definitely possible to get in, as others have suggested. Having said that, i don't want to be any kind of jerk, but since no one else brought it up. I guess I am a little concerned about your excuse for doing poorly. Just realize that when you are in med school you are seriously competing against the best of the best. So think back to undergrad and you know those handfuls of people who were really hard to compete against, those are the people who get into med school and will be your colleagues. A few slackers make it through, but essentially most people that will be in your class will all be very smart and hard working. I imagine at most DO schools there is not a massive amount of gunnerism compared to the ivy leagues, but all the same the grade curves will still exist.

So again, just to sort of suggest something that no one has brought up, its definitely something for you to think about before committing down this path further.

Oh I see what you mean. I didn't mean that as an excuse for my grades at all. My problem was poor study skills. I did not know how to study effectively for classes. I do feel that a competitive environment made this worse, just because the pace was so fast and it made it more difficult for a student with poor study skills like myself to keep up. I hope that makes sense.

When I got thrown in that environment I didn't know how to handle it. Getting bad grades for the first time ever really threw me off and hurt my self esteem. It definitely is my fault for not tackling the problem at the source.

I have always gotten great grades without much work at all so I never developed proper study habits that I needed in college. That isn't to say that students who do well in grade school don't do well in college, but I hope you know what I mean. I didn't take the initiative to develop the skills needed in college, which is definitely my fault.

I'm trying to take responsibility for my poor choices and I have asked around and gotten some good advice so I'm trying out new things to learn how to study better.

Huge things for me are managing my time and being efficient so I can study everything needed for my classes. I really am not a bum and I will do whatever it takes to get in and succeed in medical school. Even in undergrad- I spent lots of time studying but I wasn't effective or proactive enough to get good grades. I want to change this now.

So far flash cards are working for me. I also do my best to keep up with readings and I use colored pens, and supplement confusing concepts with videos online. I'm more than willing to pace myself and figure out how to study for science courses- something I should have seriously tried to fix four years ago. But late is definitely better than never.

Last edited:
OP, I know this is pretty late as a reply, but a DIY post bacc is a great option. I was told to do one myself, and as for Awesome Sausome's comment, while it is true that most medical students are get good grades in college, but there are different aspects to different people's situations. You don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you did bad/average in college unless you are being interviewed by someone in the medical school admissions, that comment was really uncalled for. Most students who do well in college don't necessarily end up in med schools all the time, the schools look at you more than a grade, they look at your personal growth, situations, how you improved etc. What you did in undergrad is not always what you did in post bacc or in med school. I had a friend who was a great student, came from a privileged background, got a lot of help, but she wasn't accepted till her 3rd try, and in a school in mid-west, while I had another friend who was a below average student, GPA was around 2.6/2.5 and they got in some school in Cali. yes the competition is hard, but there is definitely more to u than your grades. Many of these kids that Awesome is talking about either have amazing learning skills, come from good environments that allow them to invest their time, and are trained from early high school to study well or have a plan of going in to higher fields like this, there is really no innate intelligence that these students have, they just know how to study, and what to study, some are even better at cheating here or there, which sucks it's unfair to to other students who actually work harder than they really should, but most med schools understand that as well. While his comments do hold some truth, but this field is just very over glorified and people try to weed out competition by doing this as well. If you want it go for it, understand the commitment yes, but tell me what field nowadays doesn't truly need commitment, this just happened to be a little more. If you want it, chase it, find ways to get there, find your growth, and don't stop, not everyone in med school was a straight A student in college, and not every case is a textbook case, A's will only take you to med school, but A's don't always mean comprehension, most A students I know just study, and forget, most of the amazing doctors I know, were doctors who were nontraditional in their methods, and weren't always the best students, they were just persistent.

Reactions: 3 users