Diy postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mtillmam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im not sure that my 3.0 gpa will be good enough for medical school so im trying to figure out other options. Im forsure going to join the navy once i graduate and once im in i wanted to do a postbacc. Ive heard about a diy postbacc but im not sure exactly what that would require.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure what you mean by a diy postbacc but I did my own" diy postbacc." I had an EE degree and rounded it out by taking prerequisite classes in Ochem, biology, A&P, biochem, etc. and it worked out okay. I wasn't enrolled in a specific "pre-med" postbacc program that I know some schools offer.

Im not sure that my 3.0 gpa will be good enough for medical school so im trying to figure out other options. Im forsure going to join the navy once i graduate and once im in i wanted to do a postbacc. Ive heard about a diy postbacc but im not sure exactly what that would require.

If you thin joining the military is going to accelerate your admission to medical school, you are mistaken. It will easily add 4-8 years to the endeavor (it's a service contract, after all), and you won't have as much free time to devote going to a classroom for a DIY post-bac. Your operational responsibilities will trump any deadlines/deliverables. Got a mandatory lab? Too bad, you're on the watchbill and you have to stay on base. 20-page paper due? Too bad, you're going on a week-long field exercise without access to a computer. You want to register for classes for next semester? Too bad, we're deploying overseas. All these things happened to me while earning my Master's while on active duty.

It will, however, give you amazing ECs, leadership opportunities, and ways to broaden exposure to the field of medicine and the world. Just make sure you join the right team... like my beloved Hospital Corps.

If you thin joining the military is going to accelerate your admission to medical school, you are mistaken. It will easily add 4-8 years to the endeavor (it's a service contract, after all), and you won't have as much free time to devote going to a classroom for a DIY post-bac. Your operational responsibilities will trump any deadlines/deliverables. Got a mandatory lab? Too bad, you're on the watchbill and you have to stay on base. 20-page paper due? Too bad, you're going on a week-long field exercise without access to a computer. You want to register for classes for next semester? Too bad, we're deploying overseas. All these things happened to me while earning my Master's while on active duty.

It will, however, give you amazing ECs, leadership opportunities, and ways to broaden exposure to the field of medicine and the world. Just make sure you join the right team... like my beloved Hospital Corps.

Im fully aware that the navy wont necessarily accelerate my admission into medical school but i also know ive been in contact with a recruiter ive looked at many different opportunities and scholarships available thru the navy and postbacc and the navy would not be something i would consider simultaneously if i knew i couldnt do them. i know my options and i know it will get me where i need and want to go.