DIY Pre-req Class Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm working on my DIY class schedule but I'm stuck on which classes to take with what. I need: Gen & Organic Chem I&II, Bio I&II, Biochem, and electives that I'm interested in Genetics, Micro, immunology. Any suggestions including other courses to consider would be great. Thanks guys! =)
Also, is it common to take ex. Bio I&II at the same time?....Is that a wise idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I would take bio and gen chem together. All of the other classes I would think would be a bit difficult without these to build a base.

Reactions: 1 user
Gen chem 1 and 2, Orgo 1 and 2, Phys 1 and 2, and Bio 1 and 2 are year long sequence courses. I would be very surprised if you are able to take bio 1 and 2 at the same time as bio 2 builds off of material that was covered in bio 1.

Best bet:

Year 1
Bio/ gen chem

Year 2
Orgo/phys

Bio chem, genetics, micro, immunology all after bio (biochem most likely after orgo. Some schools require gen chem before taking bio, if that is the case, switch physics and bio. You can change things up a bit with summer classes and adjusting your course load.

So, I'm working on my DIY class schedule but I'm stuck on which classes to take with what. I need: Gen & Organic Chem I&II, Bio I&II, Biochem, and electives that I'm interested in Genetics, Micro, immunology. Any suggestions including other courses to consider would be great. Thanks guys! =)
Also, is it common to take ex. Bio I&II at the same time?....Is that a wise idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I took a year off of working as a nurse and took all 8 classic courses over 3 semesters. It is possible to get exceptions made if you go in and talk with department chair's (Make friends with them!!). It is also possible o take Gen Chem 2 and Ochem 1 in the same semester (I did it!!).

I think a good mental way of approaching this is that medical school is going to be a ton tougher than this so buckle down and do well.

Best of luck to you!

I wouldn't necessarily overload yourself just because medical school will be harder. Your goal now should be to get the best grades possible to ensure success. A little impatience now could cost you a lot in the future.

Like the other posters said, Bio 1/2 should be done in your first year along with Chem 1/2, and math courses (Calc and stats), if you don't already have your math prerequisites finished. Year 2 should be organic chemistry 1/2, physics 1/2, and a year long biochem.

I'm not sure if you're taking a third year, which is when electives could be taken, such as cell bio, genetics (though I hate the class and discourage anyone from taking it), and microbio. Otherwise, you can fulfill some electives during the summer sessions.

If you're looking for the shortest route, don't even bother with things like micro/cell bio, virology, immunology, anatomy+physiology, etc. Depending on if you're doing this full time or working also, you could stagger: Bio I and II, Chem I and II, Physics I and II, Orgo I and II, and then recommended to take some biochem (although many schools actually do not require this). I'd actually recommend throwing Genetics in there just because it's an upper level and adds to your application, but also a class many find relatively easy.

Please check whatever schools you are interested in because orgo II is NOT required at many now. Instead, either biochem OR orgo II is required.

Also, you have to get physics in there.

Have you ever taken hard science classes before? As a previous poster mentioned, be careful about trying to do too much too quickly. Yes, medical school will be a lot more challenging, but you need excellent grades to get *into* medical school. Give yourself some time to adjust to these types of classes. Finishing a little sooner with mediocre grades will not look better than taking a little longer and getting excellent grades.

Also factor in the time you'll need for extracurricular activities, such as research, volunteering, etc, which are a huge part of your app. Good luck!