DMD/PhD Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mgether36

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else considering this?

I haven't seen anyone else on here who has applied.

Members don't see this ad.

I did apply for it at UAB, UCSF, and U Wash. Did you apply for the dual program?

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I did at Michigan. I'm interviewing there on the 20th

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah....it's rare to find dual degree candidates who are willing to recieve lower pay and be in academia. That's why a lot of schools want dual candidates to attend their school.

Remember that receiving a DDS and PhD doesn't limit you to only academics. You can do anything you want to do (industry, entrepreneurship, policy, teaching, etc). The primary motivation for pursuing a dual degree program should really just be your passion for science.

Having the dual degree also jumpstarts your academic career. :)

I've gotten accepted into UAB's DMD/PhD program but I am turning down the offer and asking them to consider me as a DMD candidate.

Why is that (if you you don't mind me asking)? I also got an offer at a school but I feel like I'm just doing it for the money. I don't wanna be in debt...ahhh!

Why is that (if you you don't mind me asking)? I also got an offer at a school but I feel like I'm just doing it for the money. I don't wanna be in debt...ahhh!

doing a dual degree program because of the money is in my opinion not worth it...you should have a strong passion for the research or you'll be miserable for the phd years...i was in a phd program for a bit and it was a real grind..gluck tho.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else considering this?

I haven't seen anyone else on here who has applied.

I am not sure if you applied to UIC but check out UIC's DMD/PhD program as well. They normally take in-state for DMD's, but I don't know if they take out of states for DMD/PhD's. Good luck!

I am still considering PhD later but without actually treating patients and teaching in academic settings, I have no idea which is a better fit for me and which I would truly enjoy. I wanted that experience before committing my life into academia. Also, the money you get as a dual student is a lot and will leave you with little debt. But, clinicians get more money after dental school in 3 years than you would for your entire dual program. So if you decide dual, do it because of the program and what it offers rather than money.