##--DMU Class Of 2010--## part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sether52do

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Crazy as it sounds I remembered some of those pics from that crazy skin exam and answered some questions on my USMLE and COMLEX.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone always rags on the poor FPs...

So you are saying do research for a compeitive residency? I am thinking about going into EM and have been advised against "wasting my last free summer" by 4-5 ED docs. Since ER is mod. compeitive would research be advised against?

Yeah. I would say it's not worth it. Study hard and do well on USMLE (>220) or even COMLEX (>600) and I think you'll be fine in ER. Obviously, don't take my word as gold....I'm just some guy.

Hola,
sorry i've invited myself in, the door was open. usually the reason why those funky pics aren't posted is due to copyright infringement. you'll get it all the time esp. next year in systems. you'll get to see a bunch of the pictures again in lab and then at the end of the year. you have a visual recognition exam and there's a ppt somewhere on judy that has a gazillion (no exaggeration) slides that will be similar, not exact, to the ones you'll be tested on. good luck on PD. thank gawd you score major points in SPAL in 1st year.
now, i quietly close the door and slip away...

Maybe I am wrong but, when you site a source doesn't that take away the whole copyright infringment?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. I would say it's not worth it. Study hard and do well on USMLE (>220) or even COMLEX (>600) and I think you'll be fine in ER. Obviously, don't take my word as gold....I'm just some guy.

Aren't we all just some guy in the end...unless we are girls, very sexy girls.. (looking at you Sound man...:love: ). Anyways, the only reason I was even thinking about doing research was the cash (I don't want to go back to my old job at the ass cleaning express).

I agree 100%. I like how she told us to study the pics yet won't give us access to the PP-

where does the tuition money go again?? no copyrights in PD or OMM...hmmm....maybe we should start a "copyright" donation fund..:cool:

where does the tuition money go again?? no copyrights in PD or OMM...hmmm....maybe we should start a "copyright" donation fund..:cool:
Yea no kidding, I wonder if they just don't know how to post PP's on blackboard...

Oh well, I'm sure there's a textbook on the library portal that has all sorts of nasty pictures to look at. I'll scour Judy too, and see what I can find-

Maybe I am wrong but, when you site a source doesn't that take away the whole copyright infringment?

Beats the snot out of me. I just hear that excuse enough times when good ol' notepool tells me about a pic and i look for it and get a blank screen.

LOL...who was the dork that posted a while back that said we would stop posting on this thread when school started up. :laugh:

So big, they had to shut it down and start a new on. :laugh:
I guess we talk too much but we still dominate so now what??

LOL...who was the dork that posted a while back that said we would stop posting on this thread when school started up. :laugh:

So big, they had to shut it down and start a new on. :laugh:
I guess we talk too much but we still dominate so now what??

yeah he said we would stop at the second week of biochemistry.

hahah it is true, DMU shuts down SDN: with this thread and with the super one.

Fisher put that oiled sex butt up on 3 different slides. :eek:

I'll bet you were looking for the source!!

i remember a pic from one of a professor's lectures that had the back of buck naked, tanned, soaking wet woman on it. i don't remember what it was for, but i know i looked for the site source on that one cuz it didn't quite fit. it was strange to see that and then the next slide to be a mangled celiac plexus.

Alright, which one of you got the 100% on that last Micro exam!? Of course someone would, why would I think otherwise...?

FSPro pretty much dominated as did the one of our most popular posters....Love that cat, looks like he's taking it like the micro exam took it from you huh JB?

FP for life soundman!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
FP for life soundman!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Him and his cute little specs..."Hello Margaret, I'm Dr. Soundman. So how is your uterus today?"

Speaking of...
One more "Pop" quiz like yesterday in OMM, I'm going to rip off the "OMM 4 LIFE" bumpersticker off of my minivan and stop the bi-annual trip down to Kirksville for the ceremonious burning of the ashes on A.T.'s grave :thumbdown:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Him and his cute little specs..."Hello Margaret, I'm Dr. Soundman. So how is your uterus today?"

Speaking of...
One more "Pop" quiz like yesterday in OMM, I'm going to rip off the "OMM 4 LIFE" bumpersticker off of my minivan and stop the bi-annual trip down to Kirksville for the ceremonious burning of the ashes on A.T.'s grave :thumbdown:

Relax, I could hear you breathin heavy from 5 seats down. You know you got a 5/5! All future fellows get 100% on those.

Relax, I could hear you breathin heavy from 5 seats down. You know you got a 5/5! All future fellows get 100% on those.

hahha, I feel left out :( . I hope we don't have another quiz until the last three days of class like last semester!! THAT WOULD TOTALLY ROCK. I know that spreading the quizzes out would make more sense but, I like to be toally ASSRAPED, in a mater of days. It's a good thing:love:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

-you bastard

Why does everything I learned in BLS have to change?? WHY :-(, jbone, hold me, I feel scared.

This video is HILLARIOUS: we should make something like this at DMU.

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ojjUGE2BH_E[/YOUTUBE]

anyone else taking that Anatomy elective?

Speaking of...

Consider this "sticker remove" and "throw the ashes in the dumpster" day.
Me and that class are now officially divorced. Want more involvement, *edit edit edit*!!

Was making myself a "W W A.T. D" wrist band, but consider that mofo garbage.

Consider this "sticker remove" and "throw the ashes in the dumpster" day.
Me and that class are now officially divorced. Want more involvement, *edit edit edit*!!

Was making myself a "W W A.T. D" wrist band, but consider that mofo garbage.

I read Woolley like a book on that one. During the Microbio test, I sat there and thought 'yea, there's definitely a quiz today.' Now, I'll bet jbone's minivan (with sticker, of course) that there won't be one next Monday. You up for it jbone? I might have to take some kids to soccer in about ten years or so.

anyone else taking that Anatomy elective?

The elective sounds like its going to be fun...however there is a pretest for the class...wonder if you need to review some anatomy notes before taking the test?

The elective sounds like its going to be fun...however there is a pretest for the class...wonder if you need to review some anatomy notes before taking the test?

Hello all from the great state of Pennsylvania, it's cold as balls. :-(

Anyways, I emailed canby about the class, the pretest doesn't count towards passing the class. I think it is just to guage how much you know.

I'm doing it as well it sounds like a lot of fun, and I should probably do an elective finally since everyone else has done a bunch already; also I apparently need to be "involved" because we as a class obviously are not.... :rolleyes:

But really I'm actually pumped for Canby's classe, he wrote the freaking book and it flat out looks awesome from what i've browsed through. He'll sign it too for you if you give him like 5 bucks.

Everytime someone comes in and says that our class is not involved, I think of you Soundman. I also will be spending some time with Dr. Canby in that Anatomy class. The only way that it could get better than Canby is if he co-taught it with Steele. I love both of those guys. :love:

Everytime someone comes in and says that our class is not involved, I think of you Soundman. I also will be spending some time with Dr. Canby in that Anatomy class. The only way that it could get better than Canby is if he co-taught it with Steele. I love both of those guys. :love:

my question is: how does buying a teddy bear make me invovled? No offense to whatever club is doing that but, I need to use my hands to be invovled, that is why I have been active with Habitat for Humanity down here. Just because I don't sing about it to DMU doesn't make me uninvovled. Anyways, that rant over.

I just got my acceptance for MPH anyone else with me??

n929678_32918117_8442.jpg

n39102999_30437694_816.jpg

this is me

n39102999_30437697_2434.jpg

This was me during anatomy lab

n39102999_30437690_8682.jpg

Screw BLS

n293600010_9538_2053.jpg

Got a question for y'all.... whaddya think of Dr. B. Fisher as an anatomy professor? Good? Bad? indifferent? pm me. Thanks.

Got a question for y'all.... whaddya think of Dr. B. Fisher as an anatomy professor? Good? Bad? indifferent? pm me. Thanks.

I thought Fisher was a effective teacher. I liked his note style.

SHY! Hey baby, what's up? Hope all is well with you. Welcome to the greatest thread on earth! Anyway, Dr. Fisher was great! Why? Are you stealing him from us? Not cool.

LMU is stealing our beloved Dr. Cross away from us. They will truly be the lucky ones getting such an experienced caring anatomy prof like Dr. Cross... he is already fighting for them. Apparently the administration wanted to give the students some cheap laptops, and Dr. Cross did some research into tablets (including calling me into his office to look at my tablet!) then convinced the administration that tablets were the way to go. So now the students are all getting tablet PCs.

anyway, we're looking for a new anatomy department head. Fisher was the first presenter today -- next week we have someone from OUCOM. It's hard to get a feel for a professor from a one hour research presentation, so I thought I'd ask y'all what you thought. I'd like to see someone pretty good come in for the next UNECOM anatomy course.

Besides jbone... this is as close as we're gonna get to actually being at the same school. Sharing professors. :D

LMU is stealing our beloved Dr. Cross away from us. They will truly be the lucky ones getting such an experienced caring anatomy prof like Dr. Cross... he is already fighting for them. Apparently the administration wanted to give the students some cheap laptops, and Dr. Cross did some research into tablets (including calling me into his office to look at my tablet!) then convinced the administration that tablets were the way to go. So now the students are all getting tablet PCs.

anyway, we're looking for a new anatomy department head. Fisher was the first presenter today -- next week we have someone from OUCOM. It's hard to get a feel for a professor from a one hour research presentation, so I thought I'd ask y'all what you thought. I'd like to see someone pretty good come in for the next UNECOM anatomy course.

Besides jbone... this is as close as we're gonna get to actually being at the same school. Sharing professors. :D

Hey, I'll take what I can get! ;)

Man my sleepng schedule sucks!! I hope you are all enjoying your sleep. 2:37am

Hey I have a quick question for you guys. I'm in class 2011, and I was curious what happens with location and rotations? I'm thinking of buying a house, but I am not sure if it is worth the investments if I am not going to be around for the third and fourth year. Simply put, is it common to move away from the school area for your rotations?

Hey I have a quick question for you guys. I'm in class 2011, and I was curious what happens with location and rotations? I'm thinking of buying a house, but I am not sure if it is worth the investments if I am not going to be around for the third and fourth year. Simply put, is it common to move away from the school area for your rotations?
They're reworking them currently, to try and get students *starting with our class* to do the majority of their 3rd year in IA. I think some other CORE sites would be an option (MI, maybe OH) too. As far as I know, 4th year would be much more wide open.

To tell you the truth, I really don't know much more than you do right now. Maybe some others on here would be able to fill you in better.

They're reworking them currently, to try and get students *starting with our class* to do the majority of their 3rd year in IA. I think some other CORE sites would be an option (MI, maybe OH) too. As far as I know, 4th year would be much more wide open.

To tell you the truth, I really don't know much more than you do right now. Maybe some others on here would be able to fill you in better.

They are "trying" but it won't happen anytime soon. We have too many sweet rotation spots that they aren't going to just "give up". I do know however that if you have a more "established" lifestyle (home, family etc) you will probably get the nod to stay close to school as compared to someone with a more "fluid" situation. That being said, with 95% of the second years getting their #1 rotations requests, it is obviously working out just fine. Some people want to go out and do the Michigan or Ohio swing. While others, like myself, would like to remain close to home here in Des Moines. I wouldn't worry about it. I know plenty of students here who have purchased a home and they are doing just fine. Maybe one of them can chime in? Soundman? Bonesaw? Where you at?

They are "trying" but it won't happen anytime soon. We have too many sweet rotation spots that they aren't going to just "give up". I do know however that if you have a more "established" lifestyle (home, family etc) you will probably get the nod to stay close to school as compared to someone with a more "fluid" situation. That being said, with 95% of the second years getting their #1 rotations requests, it is obviously working out just fine. Some people want to go out and do the Michigan or Ohio swing. While others, like myself, would like to remain close to home here in Des Moines. I wouldn't worry about it. I know plenty of students here who have purchased a home and they are doing just fine. Maybe one of them can chime in? Soundman? Bonesaw? Where you at?

I'm also concerned with how I'm going to pay a mortage, with borrowed money? Seems kinda like robbing peter to pay paul in a way. Also, I don't have the slightest inkling on how to buy a house or condo so if someone who started out ignorant like myself and bought a home could chime in or pm me that would be awesome. Thanks for all your help guys.

Hmmm... 95% seems a bit exaggerated. I'm a second year and I don't know the percentage of people that got their first choice. That was never publicly announced.

To dispel all the rumors, I'd recommend getting info from the source: The Clinical Affairs Department.

Here's my 2 cents, since you asked. 3rd and 4th year rotations aren't as sweetly set up as the brick and mortar school. This is well known amongst 2nd years and the rotation design is in a state of flux. Our class had different policies(somewhat) than the year before. and the 2010s will have different policies(somewhat) than ours. The goal is to get as many students getting their education from Iowa docs as possible. But, it's a long process.

I have worked with CA all year and this much I know first hand: A. they are looking out for your best interests; B. The way things are, are not in perfect operating order; C. Clinical Affairs knows this to be true and are flexible with you, to a point.

The lottery that puts you into your required rotations 3rd year is not that flexible. You can qualify for a special circumstances need. That means that you will be placed somewhere, relative to your need. This DOES NOT guarantee a spot in Des Moines. Owning a home here does not qualify for special circumstances as far as this year's lottery went. People with kids in school, a grandmother that you have to take care of, those burdens that need your direct attention qualify.

I would hate for you to make your decisions on anything other than on info that is provided by the school so that's all i'll say. if you find out, i'm sure some other folks would like to have some knowledge.

ciao

Thanks for the update. :thumbup:
We like it when the second years speak up once and a while.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ets0xkUk17Y[/YOUTUBE]

Any second years want to chime in if the PATH book is worth the 100 bucks? Is the BRS path book better for the class or do you need that giant book to do well in the class??

Any second years want to chime in if the PATH book is worth the 100 bucks? Is the BRS path book better for the class or do you need that giant book to do well in the class??

I recommend it.
-While they basically read the book to you, you still may need check out what they're talking about in greater/better detail with the book.
- Every system that has pathology in it next year, uses that book.
- It's THE reference book for all thing pathological. Kinda like a dictionary is for words.
- $100 is a drop in the bucket for a kick butt reference book you'll use for life.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ets0xkUk17Y[/YOUTUBE]

I feel like I got a can of peas for a brain after all the dumb mistakes I made on that last Micro exam. It said "Immunocompetent" not immunosupressed!