##--DMU Class Of 2010--## part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...hold up here....get yelled at...no thats not what I want! I would rather think that the people that did exchange forms or whatever they did would come out and say something...when was it ever allowed to even touch the tests before the exam starts.

"We will not lie, steal, or cheat, nor tolerate among us anyone who does."

I have always thought before this happened that the professors "believed" that by signing the honor code they could trust us to obey this simple and honest code and here some of our classmates are pluckin around with the test forms before the exam....STUPID!

This gives professors proof that they should not trust us with exams or even during a review secession. To think that this "belief" is still in our teachers with what has happened now is a farsight. No wonder they have been so cautious...the honor code doesnt mean anything to anyone...they just signed it becuase they had their nice white coat on and their parents were there taking pictures unaware that the code required some common sense.
Im sorry if I am a little emotional...The honor code has been instilled in me for quite sometime and should be given its full respect.

So your basically stating that because a couple of idiots don't know how to handle themselves, WE ALL SHOULDN'T BE TRUSTED???????????? Why shouldn't they trust us? I'm freakin 31 years old. I pay $32,000 a year to attend here. I moved 1100 miles away from my home with my wife and 2 kids to live here and get an education. I give this school my all everyday in hopes to one day be a great physician. Why SHOULDN'T they trust us??? You need to watch your blanket statement because 99.99% of us bust our balls everyday for the same dream and we DESERVE trust and respect because I think that many of us have tried to earn it. I do agree....this crap cannot be tolerated and the professors/faculty SHOULD TRUST US enough to follow the honor code. I'm done with undergrad drama.

Members don't see this ad.

...hold up here....get yelled at...no thats not what I want! I would rather think that the people that did exchange forms or whatever they did would come out and say something...when was it ever allowed to even touch the tests before the exam starts.

"We will not lie, steal, or cheat, nor tolerate among us anyone who does."

I have always thought before this happened that the professors "believed" that by signing the honor code they could trust us to obey this simple and honest code and here some of our classmates are pluckin around with the test forms before the exam....STUPID!

This gives professors proof that they should not trust us with exams or even during a review secession. To think that this "belief" is still in our teachers with what has happened now is a farsight. No wonder they have been so cautious...the honor code doesnt mean anything to anyone...they just signed it becuase they had their nice white coat on and their parents were there taking pictures unaware that the code required some common sense.

Im sorry if I am a little emotional...The honor code has been instilled in me for quite sometime and should be given its full respect.

I think everyone has the right idea here. My question would be: Do we even need an honor code? I mean, seriously, by your 20s (I realize some people are older) don't you think that you would learn that cheating is wrong, stealing is wrong, etc. I mean, I'm glad they have the honor code, but in all reality, it shouldn't even be necessary. We're in a professional school and people are still cheating, that's just ridiculous. What are they going to do when it comes time for the boards or worse yet, real life?

Oh, and does it scare anyone else that this was caught during a PHYSICAL DIAGNOSIS class??? I mean, I'm pissed to know that anyone would even think of cheating in any class, but PD is one that you're going to use every day when you practice. I'm just really mad over the whole thing and it makes my hard work, and the hard work of everyone else who takes their tests the right way worth that much less.

GUNIT2010:

"the honor code doesnt mean anything to anyone...they just signed it becuase they had their nice white coat on and their parents were there taking pictures unaware that the code required some common sense."

DON'T YOU DARE lump me in the same catagory as ANYONE. Restate your comments because your blanket statement is unacceptable.

These people that were cheating or whatever during this class, are hopefully a small minority of our class and do not reflect hopefully the majority of our class, although sometimes I wonder, with our leadership and the comments they made to certain OMM professors is this sort of attitude more prevelant and I am just an old naive 30-something with 3.5 kids?

Some may say that "we are in our 20's and don't need an honor code, etc" but obviously there are those that need to be reminded, and I think a HARSH punishment is definitely in store and deservedly so for those if there is proof.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think everyone has the right idea here. My question would be: Do we even need an honor code? I mean, seriously, by your 20s (I realize some people are older) don't you think that you would learn that cheating is wrong, stealing is wrong, etc. I mean, I'm glad they have the honor code, but in all reality, it shouldn't even be necessary. We're in a professional school and people are still cheating, that's just ridiculous. What are they going to do when it comes time for the boards or worse yet, real life?

Oh, and does it scare anyone else that this was caught during a PHYSICAL DIAGNOSIS class??? I mean, I'm pissed to know that anyone would even think of cheating in any class, but PD is one that you're going to use every day when you practice. I'm just really mad over the whole thing and it makes my hard work, and the hard work of everyone else who takes their tests the right way worth that much less.

The student honor code is just in place as a way of saying, "we told you not to do that," if you get caught doing something wrong. I personally think that cheating on the medical school level is disgusting and the people caught doing it should be immediately removed. Maybe I don't know every test or statistic for breast cancer but, at least I studied them. If you cheat, you learn nothing and that hurts your patients in the future; I would rather guess on every question than stoop to cheating. I am one of the more laid back people in our class but, I would not object to these people, whoever they are, being kicked out. I felt that being yelled at like that was a bit too far (made me feel like I was back in high school) but I am no less as upset as she was. I don't even have words to describe it. This should not be happening at this level of education; disgusting.

The student honor code is just in place as a way of saying, "we told you not to do that," if you get caught doing something wrong. I personally think that cheating on the medical school level is disgusting and the people caught doing it should be immediately removed. Maybe I don't know every test or statistic for breast cancer but, at least I studied them. If you cheat, you learn nothing and that hurts your patients in the future; I would rather guess on every question than stoop to cheating. I am one of the more laid back people in our class but, I would not object to these people, whoever they are, being kicked out. I felt that being yelled at like that was a bit too far (made me feel like I was back in high school) but I am no less as upset as she was. I don't even have words to describe it. This should not be happening at this level of education; disgusting.

Did you just say something serious??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Strange, but well said. Your growing up before our very eyes. Soundman would be so proud of you.

Did you just say something serious??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Strange, but well said.

I joke around for a reason. My life hasn't been easy but instead of crying about it, I make jokes and enjoy life while I have it.

With things like this, I cannot be anything but serious. I am ashamed to call these people classmates.

Exactly what I was trying to say, just worded much better. When I said there shouldn't have to be an honor code I didn't mean that we should literally get rid of it, but rather that people should be grown up enough to know everything in the honor code. As Soundman said, that surely doesn't seem to be the case considering the situation this morning, as well as with other things that have happened earlier in the year.

In Soundman's reference to our 'student leadership', which I, as I'm sure many of you, use very loosely, it's a mess and I can only hope that things can go more smoothly next year. I consider myself a pretty laid back guy as far as joking around and stuff like that, but some of the things that have been done (i.e. email about the OMM dept., several other emails that have been sent and the situation this morning) have made me extremely mad at the select few who have chosen to abuse the system.

Ok folks. Here's the deal.

This morning I walked past my normal test row, dropped off my pencil, and took my bag to the front. I came back and a student had moved from where he was sitting on my way past. I asked them why they had moved. They replied that they had just been yelled at for moving a test. This person wanted Form B and not form A!!!!!!!!!

Now we have to deal with all this crap because someone wanted form B!! There was no intention to cheat. Just someone not thinking straight enough to change seats in the first place. I don't know if this was the only case or not.

Exactly what I was trying to say, just worded much better. When I said there shouldn't have to be an honor code I didn't mean that we should literally get rid of it, but rather that people should be grown up enough to know everything in the honor code. As Soundman said, that surely doesn't seem to be the case considering the situation this morning, as well as with other things that have happened earlier in the year.

In Soundman's reference to our 'student leadership', which I, as I'm sure many of you, use very loosely, it's a mess and I can only hope that things can go more smoothly next year. I consider myself a pretty laid back guy as far as joking around and stuff like that, but some of the things that have been done (i.e. email about the OMM dept., several other emails that have been sent and the situation this morning) have made me extremely mad at the select few who have chosen to abuse the system.

I have confidence that our new leadership will be fantastic. Well, the Pres. election is still up in the air but the SGA is in good hands. But it is what WE make it. We don't need a title to be leaders in this class. Just a bat.
(Just kidding). I know if I see any crap like this year (emails, stupid crap)again next year, I will speak up if nobody else will. I will not have a few little scrubs ruin the reputation of the Class of 2010.

jbone for president

So your basically stating that because a couple of idiots don't know how to handle themselves, WE ALL SHOULDN'T BE TRUSTED???????????? Why shouldn't they trust us? I'm freakin 31 years old. I pay $32,000 a year to attend here. I moved 1100 miles away from my home with my wife and 2 kids to live here and get an education. I give this school my all everyday in hopes to one day be a great physician. Why SHOULDN'T they trust us??? You need to watch your blanket statement because 99.99% of us bust our balls everyday for the same dream and we DESERVE trust and respect because I think that many of us have tried to earn it. I do agree....this crap cannot be tolerated and the professors/faculty SHOULD TRUST US enough to follow the honor code. I'm done with undergrad drama.

Jbone, SOUNDMAN...I apologize for the blanket that I put up there. It was obviously not directed towards you. I was hoping that it would show how the honor code is not being represented properly in a few individuals in our class. I made a huge assumption in that "anyone" is rather a small minority. I apologize to you and anyone else who took offense to my statement. I hope you realize though that this incident reflects our entire class as djnels01 points out. "Where we go one we go all"

Jbone, SOUNDMAN...I apologize for the blanket that I put up there. It was obviously not directed towards you. I was hoping that it would show how the honor code is not being represented properly in a few individuals in our class. I made a huge assumption in that "anyone" is rather a small minority. I apologize to you and anyone else who took offense to my statement. I hope you realize though that this incident reflects our entire class as djnels01 points out. "Where we go one we go all"

It's all good, that is what I thought you meant.

BTW, we stopped listening to what dj says a long time ago. :laugh:
But it is true, I know next exam I'll be worried about looking guilty or something. I know I did it today. I was afraid to even look around the room. This sucks. It will become like the "soup nazi" where you have to walk in, sit down, and go in a certain format. Any mess ups=NO TEST FOR YOU!!!!

I will pay them cash money if they start putting our test grades up on the day that we take them.

I will pay them cash money if they start putting our test grades up on the day that we take them.

**See post a page back about dj's grandmother/Pulp Fiction**

Members don't see this ad :)
**See post a page back about dj's grandmother/Pulp Fiction**

I saw it earlier in the week. I just hope they're not paying too much, her turnaround time isn't that great. :)

This morning I walked past my normal test row, dropped off my pencil, and took my bag to the front. I came back and a student had moved from where he was sitting on my way past. I asked them why they had moved. They replied that they had just been yelled at for moving a test. This person wanted Form B and not form A!!!!!!!!!

Now we have to deal with all this crap because someone wanted form B!! There was no intention to cheat. Just someone not thinking straight enough to change seats in the first place. Oh yeah... it was a DPM. I don't know if this was the only case or not. Freaking ridiculous!!
If this is indeed the case it is incredibly sad. For us and the person(s) who were that stupid. There is a reason why they exams are alternated. Besides, why can't a person have a normal testing good luck ritual with a favorite pencil, eraser, or seat?

If this is indeed the case it is incredibly sad. For us and the person(s) who were that stupid. There is a reason why they exams are alternated. Besides, why can't a person have a normal testing good luck ritual with a favorite pencil, eraser, or seat?

Where have all of these new people been hiding?? We need all of your efforts to continue the onslaught of insults towards jammers and sometimes dj. You can even throw them at misparas once and a while. :smuggrin: Obviously this whole situation has people in an uproar. Nice to have you folks around for your input. Now welcome to your life drain...SDN. :thumbup:

At least you still have your anonymity, I know these other people and it scares me.

Where have all of these new people been hiding?? We need all of your efforts to continue the onslaught of insults towards jammers and sometimes dj. You can even throw them at misparas once and a while. :smuggrin: Obviously this whole situation has people in an uproar. Nice to have you folks around for your input. Now welcome to your life drain...SDN. :thumbup:

At least you still have your anonymity, I know these other people and it scares me.

Penis, that is all.

You can even throw them at misparas once and a while.

Bring it on!! :smuggrin:

On another note...

The aforementioned person emailed Dr. Wattleworth explaining and apologizing. She wrote back and said that many things have been going on.

Should be a fun meeting on Wed.

Bring it on!! :smuggrin:

On another note...

The aforementioned person emailed Dr. Wattleworth explaining and apologizing. She wrote back and said that many things have been going on.

Should be a fun meeting on Wed.

what does many things mean? Computers open during ethics as well? She was upset about that last week.

what does many things mean? Computers open during ethics as well? She was upset about that last week.
Well I don't know what misparas has heard, but what I've heard involves jbone, a tuning fork, and some KY...

All kidding aside, I am interested to hear what these "other things" are as well. I really hope it doesn't turn into the kind of talk I used to get from my parents when I stayed out past curfew in high school:

"We told you blah blah blah.... now you're losing priveleges blah blah blah... this is for your own good..."

That would get old REAL quick.

There was no intention to cheat. Just someone not thinking straight enough to change seats in the first place. Oh yeah... it was a DPM. QUOTE]

You said you realize there was no intent to cheat, so what difference does it make if it was a ... DPM? Can't we all just get along? :D

You said you realize there was no intent to cheat, so what difference does it make if it was a ... DPM? Can't we all just get along? :D

Right you are. No need for that. Jury... disregard that last statement.

Just wanted to clear the DO class from any appearance of evil.

Now we have to deal with all this crap because someone wanted form B!! There was no intention to cheat. Just someone not thinking straight enough to change seats in the first place. I don't know if this was the only case or not.

You know many people have rituals and stuff, you know we all do. But all of us know NOT to move the tests. It's just a given. Some of us look at which form they have and then move chairs to correspond to the correct form, if the form and chairs don't match, I guess your screwed. Point is, all of us look at the form, I don't think that is the problem though.

You know many people have rituals and stuff, you know we all do. But all of us know NOT to move the tests. It's just a given. Some of us look at which form they have and then move chairs to correspond to the correct form, if the form and chairs don't match, I guess your screwed. Point is, all of us look at the form, I don't think that is the problem though.

On a side note, Soundman you hurt my arm in lab today. when I woke up from my second nap of the day it was hurting where you were tapping it.
Oh... and my fingers hurt as well.

and here is your violin, not my fault you're areflexic
:D :D

On a side note, Soundman you hurt my arm in lab today. when I woke up from my second nap of the day it was hurting where you were tapping it.
Oh... and my fingers hurt as well.

POST OF THE DAY!!
"When I woke up from my SECOND nap" :laugh: :laugh:

Wow, I'm clearly late to this onslaught. I just read the email roughly 15 minutes ago, and I was all revved up with a gigantic diatribe in mind. Unfortunatelly, all of you A-holes stole my thunder, and I'm relegated to simply saying, "I completely agree".

The most upsetting part was that she essentially lumped us all together as a bunch cheaters. If they knew who was switching tests, then simply remove them from the room. Throughout the entire test, I felt guilty....for absolutely NO reason. I'm the type that frequently looks up and stares off into the distance as I try to visually/mentally recall something......I guess I'll have to curb that from now on.

The most upsetting part was that she essentially lumped us all together as a bunch cheaters. If they knew who was switching tests, then simply remove them from the room. Throughout the entire test, I felt guilty....for absolutely NO reason.

I agree. I did nothing... and felt like a piece of crap for it.

Oh well...

There was no intention to cheat. Just someone not thinking straight enough to change seats in the first place. Oh yeah... it was a DPM. QUOTE]

Those damn DPMs, always ruining everything....always stealing the food at the meetings. All I want is freakin' soup and a damn bread stick but NO, a damn DPM has gotta steal it. Steal the bread RIGHT OUT of my mouth.

hehehe, I am a little intoxicated....sorry for any confusion this may have caused hahaaha. I would like to say, in reference to medical ethics: CLOSE THOSE LAP TOPS....*SLAM*....that is all.

we are all pieces of crap, i had to go for a little extra time of silence before my test just to get refocused.

DMU: Because deep down, we are all just pieces of crap....

hahahahahahaha....:laugh: :laugh: :hardy: :banana: :lol: :hungover: :bow:

hehehe, I am a little intoxicated....sorry for any confusion this may have caused hahaaha. I would like to say, in reference to medical ethics: CLOSE THOSE LAP TOPS....*SLAM*....that is all.
Jamers, why wasn't I invited? Tall smelly people like myself enjoy socializing and sipping barley pop too you know!

41-

Jamers, why wasn't I invited? Tall smelly people like myself enjoy socializing and sipping barley pop too you know!

41-

I guess that PD exam went how I thought it would. I hope second year isn't like this (study this, but we will test on this, crap).

How are ya'll going to study for path??????????????????/

me=screwed

Read the book probably a little bit. And you know me, I've got a review book!!! I know I'm a freaking loser.

Read the book probably a little bit. And you know me, I've got a review book!!! I know I'm a freaking loser.
Yea, BRS path was my genius buy of the semester... pretty much explains the lectures much more completely and succinctly... I'll probably just read that-

Too bad I won't even be able to look at any Path until Monday. I'm just not one of those people that can study ahead when I have a test in a different subject in < 3 days

Yea, BRS path was my genius buy of the semester... pretty much explains the lectures much more completely and succinctly... I'll probably just read that-

Too bad I won't even be able to look at any Path until Monday. I'm just not one of those people that can study ahead when I have a test in a different subject in < 3 days

You are not alone little man.

BTW, I just looked and there are a million study guides on Judy in the '09 file. Nice.

Actually it's spelled genios
thanks

Know about the Y chromosome and things that are involved with it. - Male Repro. Notepool, pg 13

What exactly do we need to know about the Y chromosome (that we don't already know)? Seems like this just came out of nowhere - it was not mentioned at all in the class notes? Yet it's bolded in the noteset...

Anyone listen to the lecture or go to class that day? I don't feel like listening to the mp3... I'm lazy, I know!

Know about the Y chromosome and things that are involved with it. - Male Repro. Notepool, pg 13

What exactly do we need to know about the Y chromosome (that we don't already know)? Seems like this just came out of nowhere - it was not mentioned at all in the class notes? Yet it's bolded in the noteset...

Anyone listen to the lecture or go to class that day? I don't feel like listening to the mp3... I'm lazy, I know!

Hahaha.....I wouldn't even know what you're talking about, if it weren't for the fact that I just listened to that lecture and went through the powerpoint. I had to do a double take when I heard Finnerty say that.

Just check out slide 33 from male reproduction. He's joking, unless of course he really thinks it's important for us to know that there are genes on the Y chromosome for "ability to identify aircraft, spitting, scratching, sitting on the john reading, etc."

Notepool kind of failed you on that one.

I haven't gone through all of that yet but there are very few things on the Y chromosome, TDF (also goes by a few other names but testicular determining factor is what I know it by) being one of the most important.

Hahaha.....I wouldn't even know what you're talking about, if it weren't for the fact that I just listened to that lecture and went through the powerpoint. I had to do a double take when I heard Finnerty say that.

Just check out slide 33 from male reproduction. He's joking, unless of course he really thinks it's important for us to know that there are genes on the Y chromosome for "ability to identify aircraft, spitting, scratching, sitting on the john reading, etc."

Notepool kind of failed you on that one.
Thanks, I had a feeling that he was joking... apparently a sense of humor doesn't copy over too well for notepool.

Hello 2010ers. My wife and I are heading up to DSM on May 2 to meet with some folks about housing and would like to know if anyone has a spare bed they'd be willing to lend us for 2-3 nights. We're trying to save some money because of the high cost of flights and we're still hurting a little from our wedding expenses. PM me if you're willing to put our poor @sses up for any period. Thanks

Thanks, I had a feeling that he was joking... apparently a sense of humor doesn't copy over too well for notepool.

No problem. Hell, it was hardly even a joke from the sounds of it on mp3, so I'm not surprised notepool was just as confused by it.

Just started reading this thread, you guys are pretty funny. I'm going to sound like a total idiot, but was that really Alanis Morrisette? That made me crack up. Also, I remember Alanis Morrisette being kind of nasty looking, but she didn't look too bad in that video (if that is her).

On another track, tommorrow I am starting the first day of my last week of rotations! My hours are 10-4 MWF. Or whenever I feel like showing up or leaving. And I take at LEAST an hour for lunch, when I sit and talk with the nurses and secretaries. ROTATION ARE WAY BETTER THAN THE FIRST TWO CRAPTASTIC YEARS!!!! Two things I found out that you might like to know. First of all, you are never as booksmart as you are right after you take step one. By the time you hit the end of fourth year/beginning of internship you have forgotten A LOT of stuff. Secondly most of the stuff you have to learn the first two years is either not important or only important if you go into internal medicine. For example, heart sounds. At the most you might need to be able to hear a murmur. Diagnosing by sound and location......not so much. Not when the cardiologist can bill for an eccocardiogram (sp?) and it's performed by a tech anyway. Neural pathways:laugh: :laugh: definitely not. And I just finished a month of Neuro and am now in a PM&R rotation.

I swear the only reason we had to learn some of that crap was so residents and attendings could get some strange joy out of pimping you on stuff they have not once used in clinical practice. I can't count the amount of times someone pimped me about the stupid coagulation cascade. Amount of times I've seen someone apply it in a useful situation.....ZERO!!!

Keep up the good work guys, it goes quick and it's worth it.

Just started reading this thread, you guys are pretty funny. I'm going to sound like a total idiot, but was that really Alanis Morrisette? That made me crack up. Also, I remember Alanis Morrisette being kind of nasty looking, but she didn't look too bad in that video (if that is her).

On another track, tommorrow I am starting the first day of my last week of rotations! My hours are 10-4 MWF. Or whenever I feel like showing up or leaving. And I take at LEAST an hour for lunch, when I sit and talk with the nurses and secretaries. ROTATION ARE WAY BETTER THAN THE FIRST TWO CRAPTASTIC YEARS!!!! Two things I found out that you might like to know. First of all, you are never as booksmart as you are right after you take step one. By the time you hit the end of fourth year/beginning of internship you have forgotten A LOT of stuff. Secondly most of the stuff you have to learn the first two years is either not important or only important if you go into internal medicine. For example, heart sounds. At the most you might need to be able to hear a murmur. Diagnosing by sound and location......not so much. Not when the cardiologist can bill for an eccocardiogram (sp?) and it's performed by a tech anyway. Neural pathways:laugh: :laugh: definitely not. And I just finished a month of Neuro and am now in a PM&R rotation.

I swear the only reason we had to learn some of that crap was so residents and attendings could get some strange joy out of pimping you on stuff they have not once used in clinical practice. I can't count the amount of times someone pimped me about the stupid coagulation cascade. Amount of times I've seen someone apply it in a useful situation.....ZERO!!!

I'm gonna sound like a giant (l), but that was definitely a "pick me up" kind of post that I needed to hear. I know how incredibly quickly this first year has gone by, but I seriously cannot wait for 3rd year. I'm certain it's going to be sucktastic (especially for the first rotation or so), but good Lord, it has to be better than sitting in a lecture hall all day trying to stay focused, when it's soo much easier jack around on the internet.

So Thank You for reminding me that my life is pretty sweet.

On a side note: My pornstar name would be Edwin Northern Oaks......if only I had followed my childhood dreams.

Excellent post :thumbup: I just want to get out and actually start doing stuff. I am getting sick of learning mundane pathways that will most likely change in 5 years after they learn it was all wrong.