DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new thread! Post discussion here!

Members don't see this ad.

i cant believe nobodies posted here. cmon guys, i applied here and am REALLY EXCITED about it. its definitly my reach school. i would be SHOCKED if i get an interview here. this is a great school. would love to go here. i submitted my primary here 6/2 so here we go:D

i cant believe nobodies posted here. cmon guys, i applied here and am REALLY EXCITED about it. its definitly my reach school. i would be SHOCKED if i get an interview here. this is a great school. would love to go here. i submitted my primary here 6/2 so here we go:D

I applied here on 6/1 right when the primaries opened. This is also my reach school. Definitely will be excited if I even get a secondary!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting on my 5-21 mcat retake so I applied to nova on 6-2, but I will be adding DMU after I am verified. I am a des moines resident and omg do I want to go there. If I got an acceptance, I would instantly withdraw any other interviews (hopefully). Crossing my fingers hard for this one.

did anyone already get a secondary?? I wonder how long it takes for schools to do the initial screening?

I just finished my application today, I had to wait for one last grade to be posted to my transcript. DMU is definitely my first choice too. Good luck everyone!

I just finished my application today, I had to wait for one last grade to be posted to my transcript. DMU is definitely my first choice too. Good luck everyone!

Going to be submitting my app in the next few days. Anybody know how the rotations are at DMU? From what I've heard its a great school

Just finished my 2nd year at DMU. If anyone has any questions, I'll try to give you an answer. But I do have boards coming up, so I might not be on here that much for the next few weeks.

Anybody know how the rotations are at DMU?

Maybe Spooner can provide more insight since they are a current student, but when I was at the Discover DMU event a few months ago, the rotations seemed to be the same basic pattern as everywhere else, complete with the required rural rotations. However, the thing that really stood out for me is that the tour guide said that you have a lot of flexibility in your fourth year rotations, so you have the ability to set up audition rotations at locations where you might be interested in doing a residency.

Again, this is just what I was told during the open house.

just got my MCAT score back. not great but hopefully good enough for DMU. 28Q. I am way happy with that.

Me too, 29O I'm more than happy! I love the people on the MCAT thread that are seriously disappointed with their 35M... I am cautiously optimistic that it will be enough to get an interview at DMU! The MCAT was the last piece of the puzzle that I was waiting on, so now I feel like a huge weight was just lifted off my back.

Last edited:
Me too, 29O I'm more than happy! I love the people on the MCAT thread that are seriously disappointed with their 35M... I am cautiously optimistic that it will be enough to get an interview at DMU! The MCAT was the last piece of the puzzle that I was waiting on, so now I feel like a huge weight was just lifted off my back.

haha. agreed 100%. "should I retake my 36 because I got a 10 PS?" yeah i am so relieved to be over that pig.

you guys should be excstatic. those are great scores. dmu's average is a 27.1 (for the class of 2014 I believe) I hope they show me love with my 25/26

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, AACOMAS is actually very fast when it comes to receiving MCAT scores. I just released them last evening and AACOMAS already has the scores posted to my application.

Is anyone attending Discover DMU the 29th?

I went to the spring Discover DMU event. It is definitely worth going to, you get a great insider look at the campus and facilities. The tour is given by current DO students, and you can ask them whatever you want about their experience at DMU. I'm definitely glad I attended because I was able to develop a good feel for the DMU environment.

Quiet thread! Anyone know when interview invites typically go out? last year was very late...

Also, any idea what the MCAT/GPA magic number is for a fast-track interview invite?

Super excited about this school.

I agree, it has been quiet on here. Maybe we can get something going. I don't know about the "fast track" stats, but I do know that DMU's stats are at the higher end of the DO schools I've visited. I think their average GPA for accepted students is 3.7. I'm still impatiently waiting for AACOMAS to verify my app, it's been almost two weeks now and I'm hoping it will be verified before the listed time frame of up to 6 weeks.

got verified today and i am really hoping my stats are good enough for DMU. hopefully my stuff gets released soon and i can move forward.

Received the secondary this morning. It is short and sweet, no essays or anything like that. Just the way I like it.

yup, secondaries out this mourning. just submitted and had my letters sent out. hopefully ill get the complete email soon lol.

no essays, just biographical info, have you been exposed to osteopathic medicine. do you like cheese on your burger? stuff like that.

Is anyone having problems with the payment site access? It won't load for me. I've tried different browsers but I am on a Mac...

I submitted yesterday. The payment site itself worked for me, but there was no confirmation page after I paid. I did get an email saying they got my application and payment, though.

Does anyone know if DMU sends out the secondary if you haven't sent in transcripts, letters of rec, or MCAT scores as long as the GPA is above a 3.0? I'm trying to decide if I should just send in the primaries hoping the transcripts, letters of rec, and MCAT will come in soon after.

No. Without all of that, yyou cannot get processed or verified and without beiing verified, DMU has no idea you are apply. Except the LORs, you send them in with secoondary.

Does DMU really screen for secondaries or is it just a low number screen?

when i went to chat with them, the admin counselor said quote "you basically get a secondary if you meet the minimum numbers."

also how long did people wait for secondaries. i have gotten and completed 5 of my 10 schools so I am happy, but I am anxiously awaiting this one.

My application was released on June 24th, and I received the secondary on July 5th.

Can anyone tell me more about the LOR requirements? I am wondering if the LOR that has been written for me will be adequate? As I don't know what he wrote, I can't say if it fulfills what they're asking.... any thoughts? I volunteered with this physician, and I hope it is sufficient...

Can anyone tell me more about the LOR requirements? I am wondering if the LOR that has been written for me will be adequate? As I don't know what he wrote, I can't say if it fulfills what they're asking.... any thoughts? I volunteered with this physician, and I hope it is sufficient...
make sure to tell your letter writer to say you volunteered/shadowed them. I rcvd an email that my DO letter wouldn't fulfill medical exposure letter because the doc didn't mention I shadowed him. I would think most physicians would do that anyway.

He wrote it in April. I am hoping to not have to have him re-write it unless there's a problem...

I called today and double checked that my letter fit the medical exposure requirement. The lady on the phone was really nice. I also found out while I was on the phone with them that my pre health committee sent my M.D. letter packet to all the D.O schools I applied to so now I have to get new letters sent to all the DO schools and call them all. :cool:
but when I was on the phone with them the lady also said they would be looking at my app in a couple of days...so I think theyre getting ready to start reviewing!

make sure to tell your letter writer to say you volunteered/shadowed them. I rcvd an email that my DO letter wouldn't fulfill medical exposure letter because the doc didn't mention I shadowed him. I would think most physicians would do that anyway.

how long ago did you submit the letter. i don't want to call and seem over eager as I submitted on friday, but i really want to go to DMU so I want everything done so I am high on the list for consideration.

Just finished my 2nd year at DMU. If anyone has any questions, I'll try to give you an answer. But I do have boards coming up, so I might not be on here that much for the next few weeks.
Hey Spooner! I pray you kicked butt on your boards! I'm brand new to this forum and I would love to chat about DMU with you. I'm applying this January as an early acceptance candidate.

I got the same email from them. Looks like they are pretty strict about the "exposure" thing...

how long ago did you submit the letter. i don't want to call and seem over eager as I submitted on friday, but i really want to go to DMU so I want everything done so I am high on the list for consideration.
Within a day. submitted through interfolio 7/7 and got the email before noon on 7/8.

i just submitted my primary. it scares me to see ppl who are already complete! :( lol
and my stats r so low. 25 mcat 3.4 cumulative gpa and 3.2 science
u guys think i have a shot?

i just submitted my primary. it scares me to see ppl who are already complete! :( lol
and my stats r so low. 25 mcat 3.4 cumulative gpa and 3.2 science
u guys think i have a shot?
you never know.

just got my complete email today too. kinda anxious lol. hope I get some love from this school.

Alright, I'm officially submitted now. I was just released this afternoon and I turned in the secondary tonight. My LORs are through Interfolio and it says they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

After seeing some of the posts on here I really hope my DO LOR mentioned that I shadowed:xf: I would hate to bother him again to change the letter. It doesn't look like DMU is cutting any slack on the letters.

So if one's file is "complete" does that mean the letters fit their requirements?

FYI..

research PI letters do not constitute as 'science' letters for anyone who is planning to use a PI LOR