DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also got a fastrack invite an hour after I got my secondary application. It was a pleasant surprise, as I had no idea DO schools offer this. It says they looked at my primary, but I fond it odd that I got the invite less than hour after I got the secondary application.

Members don't see this ad.

call them and "argue", it worked for me

How did you "argue" that? I only have one basic science professor letter, so my second may have to be a PI. I was actually about to email them to ask, but if calling them worked for you, maybe i'll do that. Please share :)

How did you "argue" that? I only have one basic science professor letter, so my second may have to be a PI. I was actually about to email them to ask, but if calling them worked for you, maybe i'll do that. Please share :)

Please let us know. I took two biochemistry research courses and am planning to use them both. I emailed DMU earlier today and they responded saying that biochemistry professors are fine. I don't have any "basic" science professor letters.

Members don't see this ad :)

I may have to try the call too. I was gonna call it quits on DMU because right after I sent in my letters, they emailed me saying the LOR from my PI will count as a research letter, not a basic science letter.

Try to explain your situations with them thoroughly. I spoke to a lady called Brenda, and she was the one who ok'ed my letter substitution.

Just finished my 2nd year at DMU. If anyone has any questions, I'll try to give you an answer. But I do have boards coming up, so I might not be on here that much for the next few weeks.
I'm interested! What was your GPA/MCAT approximately? Are you happy with the choice to go to DMU? How quickly did you hear about the interview after submitting your secondary? DO you think it would hurt you if you click (on the secondary) 'no' in interest to do research in medical school?

so i just called and they said i can't use a research professor as a reference but can use other science professors as long as they taught me in a classroom course. hope that helps

Interview September 12th so flying into Des Moines on September 11th...maybe not the best day to be on a plane?

dammit, my file was just placed on "hold" this stinks

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an interview invite also :) Will be coming from Washington~

Was Sept 1st still an option for interview date? Is anybody else interviewing Sept 1st? I couldn't wait; I signed up for the first day possible.

thanks. looking at this thread, it may have been SLIGHTLY obvious that I want to go to DMU.

Brazen- the first date available for me was the 8th with the 12th being the next one.

Ah, ok. The first couple days must have filled up.

sorry to hear that. seriously. on a different note.

INTERVIEW INVITE!!!!!!

Congrats! I know you have wanted this one and hopefully it turns out well.

Scheduling an interview tonight. Also got the invite. :thumbup:

frkybgstok, congrats man. you deserve it and I hope you nail the interview. The schools incredible. good luck

So...I have a question. For those of you who were accepted for interviews, where are you planning to stay? Also, what will be your mode of transportation? I won't be driving and it would be great to find someone willing to share a ride with. I'm thinking of interviewing on Sept. 8, 15, or 16. Thanks.

So...I have a question. For those of you who were accepted for interviews, where are you planning to stay? Also, what will be your mode of transportation? I won't be driving and it would be great to find someone willing to share a ride with. I'm thinking of interviewing on Sept. 8, 15, or 16. Thanks.

I'm staying at the Holiday inn by Drake...there are NO HOTELS near the university. I was just gonna suck it up and take a cab lol. I do have a 2 queen bed room...pm me if you want to split it, I'm open to the idea

EDIT: I interview on the 12th, so my room is for the 11th

Last edited:
dammit, my file was just placed on "hold" this stinks

How do you know your file was placed on hold? I didn't see anything to log in and check a status... How do I find out what my status is?

How do you know your file was placed on hold? I didn't see anything to log in and check a status... How do I find out what my status is?

probably an e-mail. i saw that his status was on hold and checked my e-mail but nothing. came back to SDN and my e-mail (in another tab) said 1 unread right after I hit "reply to post" and it was an interview invite.

so I assume they sent out the e-mail as DMU didn't have anything to indicate status changes.

I was complete on 7/15, I'm assuming you guys were complete around the same time or earlier? Also, I added a DO letter after the fact, so I don't know if that will change anything... praying for an interview here...

to give you an idea, I was complete on 7/13/11 with an MD letter. I am rooting for you! hopefully you get some love from DMU (and many others).

Do they have a list of student hosts up yet ? The link to the list in the interview e-mail didn't work, but I just figured they just hadnt gotten a new list since classes hadn't started yet... This interview is in exactly a month though so I would like to figure out where Im staying soon...

Do they have a list of student hosts up yet ? The link to the list in the interview e-mail didn't work, but I just figured they just hadnt gotten a new list since classes hadn't started yet... This interview is in exactly a month though so I would like to figure out where Im staying soon...

I had the same problem so I emailed them. Here is a working link: http://www.dmu.edu/admission/student-overnight-host-volunteers

I am interviewing on the same day and staying with a host as well.

Sorry. 2ndary has to be complete. From what it looks like 3.5+/30+ seems to be solid but I don't think its set in stone by any means.

I have stats higher than that but was not offered a fast-track interview.

I have stats higher than that but was not offered a fast-track interview.

hence, not being set in stone. i do not work at DMU so I do not know anything specific about the fast track. i am making an educated guess based on previous evidence on this thread and others. that is all. if you have lower stats, you may still get one. if you have higher stats, you might not. i am sure they at least glance at your entire app as well so if you other stuff isn't in order, you probably won't get one.

also, based on your post history, probably none of what i said applies to international applicants.

got secondary just today! yeah! submitted the secondary just right now, interfolio giving me some problems by not showing my AACOMAS id..so i gotta wait until tomorrow to send in the letters.

veryy nervous, :xf:

Sorry. 2ndary has to be complete. From what it looks like 3.5+/30+ seems to be solid but I don't think its set in stone by any means.

No secondary doesn't have to be complete. I got a fastrack invite before doing the secondary.

flying up from vegas for an interview on 9/08. anyone gonna be there with me :D

Sweet, thanks so much for the info! I will definitely check the list out! Have you already picked a specific host??

The first one I picked was not available but the next one was, they both seemed really nice and helpful. Made me more excited about the school.

Oh man, I just totally messed up LOL.

So I was writing an appeal email to the Admissions office and wrote this awesome story about maturing, etc etc. I put [Institution] in place of DMU's name since I was going to use the same letter for KCUMB. I ended up hitting send before changing [Institution] back to DMU-COM. Noticed it the second after it submitted and unfortunately, cannot recall emails through Gmail. I fail at proofreading. Sent them a second email with the fixes and just said that I forgot to include my AACOMAS ID#.

/writes DMU off his list for good and hangs head in shame.

Just realized I have a typo in my secondary...what do I do?? I was thinking of writing a letter with the correction and apologizing? Thoughts?

Oh man, I just totally messed up LOL.

So I was writing an appeal email to the Admissions office and wrote this awesome story about maturing, etc etc. I put [Institution] in place of DMU's name since I was going to use the same letter for KCUMB. I ended up hitting send before changing [Institution] back to DMU-COM. Noticed it the second after it submitted and unfortunately, cannot recall emails through Gmail. I fail at proofreading. Sent them a second email with the fixes and just said that I forgot to include my AACOMAS ID#.

/writes DMU off his list for good and hangs head in shame.

F. That sucks. This is me hoping they overlook your mistake and you get the benefit of the doubt. However, I don't think it looks good. Good luck though and I guess this is why we apply to multiple schools.