DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!! Second acceptance so far, but top of the list! Interviewed on 9/9, and thought the interview was kinda shaky, but I guess it paid off! :) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I gotta figure out when I can take time off from work to re-visit Des Moines with my family. Any good place to visit in Des Moines?

lucpm, if you do decide to come to des moines for school, let me know. there are some great areas and you can PM me regarding good places to live and good schools to look into.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!:love: Interviewed 9/9. Honestly this school has everything I want and its gonna take a lot for me to not go here. I loved this school on interview day.

well i think it is pretty clear. Withdrawing my 6 other interviews and will be attending DMU in 2012. oh man.

YEAH BOIII. Haha I'd expect you to be more excited about it than you sound. I bet you're still in shock!

My interview's on Thursday... flying out tomorrow. Wish me luck! :)

Congrats to you as well RavensGal!

waitlisted...bah humbug...oh well, we'll see how it goes...in like 10 months. currently in KC for KCUMB interview--hopefully this goes better!

congrats to those who got accepted!

waitlisted...bah humbug...oh well, we'll see how it goes...in like 10 months. currently in KC for KCUMB interview--hopefully this goes better!

congrats to those who got accepted!

Hello2- sorry to hear about the waitlist, but I am sure you will have some luck.

Toytles- words cannot begin to express how overjoyed I am. Every bit of uneasiness regarding my family is gone. I don't have to move and my kids stay in their school and home. Truly ecstatic.

Everyone else- it really makes me feel good that you were all rooting for me. Seriously. It makes me excited to know that I will one day call you all colleagues. Just an incredible foundation of support. Thanks.

holy balls...........best day of my life. for sure.

Hear ye, hear ye! Let it be known that I, DrIBProfen, accurately predicted and remained unwaivered in confidence with respect to Messr FrkyBgStok's acceptance into DMU.

Congrats.

Since the 9/12-er's got acceptances, hopefully my group (9/15) will hear back soon as well. Does anyone know how often the adcoms meet and send out letters?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who was accepted! Just interviewed here monday, great school, really looking forward to hearing back from them!

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys do the day before the interview? Did you go over questions, or just chillax?

I'm thinking about going over my application and personal statement real quick and that's it. I'm worried I'm not taking this "preparation" too seriously :scared:

Just out of curiosity, what did you guys do the day before the interview? Did you go over questions, or just chillax?

I'm thinking about going over my application and personal statement real quick and that's it. I'm worried I'm not taking this "preparation" too seriously :scared:

I tried preparing for the interview, then I just decided to go over my application and PS. My interview was after lunch (very nice, free lunch) and I felt I had a plenty of time to calm my nerves down. People at the admissions office also try to make you feel comfortable as much as they can and it really helped me a lot.

Just be yourself and relax, you should be fine. Good luck!

I tried preparing for the interview, then I just decided to go over my application and PS. My interview was after lunch (very nice, free lunch) and I felt I had a plenty of time to calm my nerves down. People at the admissions office also try to make you feel comfortable as much as they can and it really helped me a lot.

Just be yourself and relax, you should be fine. Good luck!

Thanks! My flights in a few hours. I can't wait for the weather in des moines... it's been too hot here.

Patiently, well a little more like anxiously, waiting to hear the decisions of the 9/16 interviews. Maybe they will send out the 9/15 and 9/16 together....maybe later this week or early next week...here's to hoping! :)

Congrats to all those accepted, hope to join you all soon!!!

withdrew all of my other applications. nervous for some reason. I haven't paid the seat deposit mainly because of cash flow right now. i think i will feel better after the seat deposit which i hope to pay by the end of the week.

Congrats to everyone! really excited about this interview in October. Hopefully I'll join you guys!

How much was the seat deposit? What were the terms of acceptance?

How much was the seat deposit? What were the terms of acceptance?

$500 by December 15th, the other 500 by may first. Have all your prereqs done by matriculation and have your transcripts sent (again?) to the school to verify graduation and such

congratz to everyone accepted! cant wait to see this school in a few weeks....seems like a great place! though super hard to fly into lol i swear i searched for a cheap flight and delta wanted me to fly from LA to Atlanta and then to Des Moines hahaha it still is def high up on my list

So I just got to my hotel in des moines. Watching Seinfeld, eating a chocolate bar. Life is good. :)

I reserved a cab to pick me up at the hotel at 7:50... it takes 15 minutes according to google maps to get to DMU, so I'm probably going to get there super early. I hope this is okay!

Quick question... where should I tell the cab driver to drop me off at DMU? Is there an actual "front door"? And where should I go once I'm in? It doesn't say in the email.

Sorry for sounding paranoid. I just like to be mentally prepared. :)

P.S. - You wouldn't be saying Stok's avatar is annoying if you were confronted by that ninja baby. HYAAA!! :laugh:

So I just got to my hotel in des moines. Watching Seinfeld, eating a chocolate bar. Life is good. :)

I reserved a cab to pick me up at the hotel at 7:50... it takes 15 minutes according to google maps to get to DMU, so I'm probably going to get there super early. I hope this is okay!

Quick question... where should I tell the cab driver to drop me off at DMU? Is there an actual "front door"? And where should I go once I'm in? It doesn't say in the email.

Sorry for sounding paranoid. I just like to be mentally prepared. :)

P.S. - You wouldn't be saying Stok's avatar is annoying if you were confronted by that ninja baby. HYAAA!! :laugh:

Have them drop you off at the Academic Center. It is a circle drive and it is closer to 35th St. When you get inside the door there will be a purple sign directing you to the Enrollment Office for your interview.

If you come in a different door, there will still be signs telling you where to go for your interview (I think they are at almost every entrance)

Have them drop you off at the Academic Center. It is a circle drive and it is closer to 35th St. When you get inside the door there will be a purple sign directing you to the Enrollment Office for your interview.

If you come in a different door, there will still be signs telling you where to go for your interview (I think they are at almost every entrance)

Great! Thanks!!! :thumbup:

ACCEPTED!!! Congrats to everyone who got in, especially FrkyBgStok, I know you were excited for this one dude : D I'm really stoked about getting into this school and still remains as one of my top choicesOut of curiosity who else interviewed on 9/8 with me and are you planning on cancelling your other interviews at this point??? I'm likely going to cancel my other 3 (RVU, LECOM, KCOM) this week but was wondering what other ppl are doing. This was my 2nd acceptance but I think that DMU fits me much better than the other school. Again congrats to everyone, best day ever!!!!

Congrats Member! I love when people are super excited about their acceptances. It makes it seem like they deserve it THAT much more!! Good for you (and Stok)!! :)

I have a quick question... I asked earlier but I don't think I got a response.

I was wondering if I had to call for a taxi ahead of time if I need one to pick me up from DMU to take me to the airport. Or will there be taxi's already available at DMU? I won't be able to sleep with this on my mind... lol. :(

Congrats Member! I love when people are super excited about their acceptances. It makes it seem like they deserve it THAT much more!! Good for you (and Stok)!! :)

I was wondering if I had to call for a taxi ahead of time if I need one to pick me up from DMU to take me to the airport. Or will there be taxi's already available at DMU? I won't be able to sleep with this on my mind... lol. :(

I didn't see any Taxi's. I would call for one. You will get a sheet that has your interview time. Ask around and figure out a good time for a taxi. Good Luck. Great campus.

I called a taxi after my interview and they were there in like five minutes.

My interview is tomorrow! I'll be getting on a plane today and spending the night in Des Moines...oh my gosh! I can't believe it is happening already! :eek:

for those accepted, does anyone know when should expect to hear if we got scholarships?

Had my interview today!! I can't even describe how in love I am with this school. My mom picked me up from the airport and asked how it was... and I couldn't even find a word good enough to do the school justice. The sim labs are AMAZING, the surgery department is so awesome... and the entire atmosphere is just incredible. The people are amazing, the structure and "feel" of the school is extraordinary, and there are so many opportunities there!

My interview was pretty okay I guess. I'm sure I did better than I thought... I usually give myself a mental beating after these kinds of things. I definitley had some face-palm moments where I was like "did I seriously just say that??" But it was SUPER laid back. I had 2 students and 1 teacher. The students were awesome! I wish I could talk to them all day, they were so cool. The professor was really great too! The questions weren't difficult, mainly just about my application, challenges I faced, there was 1 ethical question but it wasn't too difficult.

I do regret one thing I said because I mentioned that trust was one of my weaknesses when I didn't need to say it at all, but we'll see if it comes back to bite me. :scared:

Man I hope I get accepted here... such an incredible school. :xf:

Had my interview today!! I can't even describe how in love I am with this school. My mom picked me up from the airport and asked how it was... and I couldn't even find a word good enough to do the school justice. The sim labs are AMAZING, the surgery department is so awesome... and the entire atmosphere is just incredible. The people are amazing, the structure and "feel" of the school is extraordinary, and there are so many opportunities there!

My interview was pretty okay I guess. I'm sure I did better than I thought... I usually give myself a mental beating after these kinds of things. I definitley had some face-palm moments where I was like "did I seriously just say that??" But it was SUPER laid back. I had 2 students and 1 teacher. The students were awesome! I wish I could talk to them all day, they were so cool. The professor was really great too! The questions weren't difficult, mainly just about my application, challenges I faced, there was 1 ethical question but it wasn't too difficult.

I do regret one thing I said because I mentioned that trust was one of my weaknesses when I didn't need to say it at all, but we'll see if it comes back to bite me. :scared:

Man I hope I get accepted here... such an incredible school. :xf:

In addition...Is it just me or were the girls extremely attractive here as well?

Now you understand why I was stupid for this school. And no offense to the ladies or other schools, but DMU. Has the best looking class I have seen.

Yeah I would definitely agree. Toytles, my interview was last week.

So is anyone else feeling pretty certain about this school? I think I may start a facebook page when more people start claiming DMU 2016.

And I know I have been whoring this thread pretty bad, but when would be too soon to get some DMU apparel?

So is anyone else feeling pretty certain about this school? I think I may start a facebook page when more people start claiming DMU 2016.

And I know I have been whoring this thread pretty bad, but when would be too soon to get some DMU apparel?

Lol I enjoy your posts Stok. Like I said before to someone else, it's always fun to read how excited someone is about getting accepted to their top choice. :)

It's probably too early to start a facebook page... but as for DMU apparel, I don't think it's ever too early to start rocking da DMU.

Speaking of DMU, I wrote brief (2-3 paragraph) thank you letters to my interviewers. They were awesome, so I enjoyed writing them. I emailed them to allow the possibility of them responding, and one of the student interviewers did respond. That's always a good feeling. :)

Hopefully they can look past some of my dumb interview answers... haha. :laugh: How long does it normally take to hear back? 2 weeks? UGHHH, that's a fast turn around compared to other schools but even 2 DAYS is too long...

Hopefully they can look past some of my dumb interview answers... haha. :laugh: How long does it normally take to hear back? 2 weeks? UGHHH, that's a fast turn around compared to other schools but even 2 DAYS is too long...

I just had my two week anniversary and I'm still waiting. They told us 1-3 weeks. I'm guessing it depends on where the committee meeting falls compared to your interview.

When I was interviewed, they said 2-3 weeks. I received my acceptance in exactly 15 days and I believe earlier interviewees also received their acceptance in less than 3 weeks. Hang in there, this waiting part is hard but it's worth the wait.

On an unrelated note, I have been comteplating canceling my other interview at my home state. It's a tough decision to make, knowing how much I want to attend DMU next year.

Last edited: