DMU vs AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uniquerabbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any input...regarding quality of education, facilities, rotations, etc..

Members don't see this ad.

I think DMU>AZCOM
match-list wise and reputation wise

Both are great programs. DMU is obviously more established, but AZCOM has a good rep thus far and has the backing of Midwestern.

Personally, I love Arizona, but that's just me.

I think AZCOM has better rotations, a lot more variety for 3rd year...I can't see Iowa having a whole lot of exciting cases outside of Des Moines, but I that could be wrong. DMU pretty much confines you to Iowa your third year, which is good in the sense that they can watch over their sites, but I would hate to get stuck out in "the heartland" in a rural hospital for my 3rd year.

I know AZCOM has rotations throughout the west, so that might be a strength.

Overall both schools are great, but you were asking for opinions, and in my opinion, I'd give the edge to AZCOM, mostly because I could see myself actually practicing there someday, versus DSM where I doubt I could ever live.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU = 10k a year cheaper and significantly more established as a school. The downside however is.. it is cold as hell.

Last edited:
I loved both schools and had a hard time deciding between the two.

AZCOM: I really liked the feeling on campus. It was my first interview and I was very impressed with the helpfullness of the staff and everyone I met. I liked the OMM lab better since it had cameras & monitors to see the instructor up close. I really liked the Glendale/Phoenix area. It was nice that we would have been able to pick our rotation sites right away. Although I ended up withdrawing, they had given me my first choice site. Compared to DMU, they were a little behind with technology with all the paper notes and no recorded lectures.

DMU: I also liked the feeling of the campus, but not quite as much as AZCOM. The sim lab was excellent, and the anatomy lab was great and less smelly than others I've seen( as far as anatomy lab smelliness: DMU>AZCOM>>>>>>NSU )
I know several DMU alumni and feel the reputation is probably higher than AZCOM. In the end, I think the lower tuition, recorded lectures, and free laptop won me over to DMU.
And as for the weather - I don't think it's "cold as hell". It'll actually be warmer for me. :)

Go for the cheaper tuition. Go for the cheaper tuition. Go for the cheaper tuition. I thought like you as a hopeful med student (ie: oh boi this skool is so presteejus). Guess what, neither school is prestigious. Not at all. Save your dollars, and get your medical degree. Period the end.

PS: I don't go to either school.

Depends on where you are from. I am from the midwest and when I was accepted to both it was DMU hands down. DMU has a long established reputation combined with a new campus and world class technology. The largest factor that sold me (again besides the location and expenses) was that AZCOM students looked miserable when I interviewed and when asked if they would chose their school again there was a lot of hesitation. Sure there are miserable times (its med school after all) but the absolute vast majority of our students love it here.

You will find pro's and con's about every school you look at so go to the school where you felt the most comfortable.

cheers

Either one will train you well. If there are only minor pros and cons between the two, DMU tuition >>>> AZCOM tuition. People in the class of 2015 will probably be paying ~$60k in tuition at AZCOM by fourth year unless the price of education stagnates or decreases. :rolleyes:
And this is coming from somebody who's generally happy to be at AZCOM and in Arizona for school.

.I can't see Iowa having a whole lot of exciting cases outside of Des Moines, but I that could be wrong. DMU pretty much confines you to Iowa your third year, which is good in the sense that they can watch over their sites, but I would hate to get stuck out in "the heartland" in a rural hospital for my 3rd year.

Not exactly true. I shadowed a D.O. from DMU who did her third year in Cook co. Il. The majority of students do stay in IA for the third year, but as I understand it, there are many opportunities outside of IA.

Go for the cheaper tuition. Go for the cheaper tuition. Go for the cheaper tuition. I thought like you as a hopeful med student (ie: oh boi this skool is so presteejus). Guess what, neither school is prestigious. Not at all. Save your dollars, and get your medical degree. Period the end.

If, after I get it, I were to write a book about getting in, it would be one page long and on it would be this quote. Well said.

I wasn't asking about how prestigious each university was. That is not my concern. By quality of education, I meant the overall first 2 years and what was emphasized most. I hear DMU places a lot of emphasis on OMM and AZCOM is very intensive regarding the basic sciences and board prep (not sure about OMM...which i'm not to hyped up about anyway)

Regarding the facilities, from what I have seen and experienced on my interviews was that AZCOM has very nice sim labs as well (something that DMU seemed to think that this is how they stood apart from other schools) , as well as a nice anatomy lab. Anymore input on what sets DMU apart in this respect would be appreciated.

AZCOM recently allowed you to pick your rotation sites yourself (east/west valley, LA, urbana..etc..) and I am curious as to how these rotations are from people who have experienced them, or if they have at all.

I hear DMU's rotations are pretty solid and they have been doing it for a while. I wouldn't mind being confined to Des Moines for my 3rd year either.

As far as match lists are concerned, I don't really see a difference between the two schools. All matches seem pretty solid at really good programs.

I know AZ is more expensive, but I had a better feeling there on interview day. People seemed happier and more "lively" (playing volleyball, ping pong, etc.)
I also like to experience night life and being close to phoenix (and vegas :D) seems attractive to me, even if I won't have much time for that stuff anyway. I don't know...If anyone can tell me something different about DMU, please enlighten me, but it just seemed like a bit of a ghost town when I was there on interview day...

I guess it seems like by this post that I have already made my decision, but I would really like more input :)

I wasn't asking about how prestigious each university was. That is not my concern. By quality of education, I meant the overall first 2 years and what was emphasized most. I hear DMU places a lot of emphasis on OMM and AZCOM is very intensive regarding the basic sciences and board prep (not sure about OMM...which i'm not to hyped up about anyway)

Regarding the facilities, from what I have seen and experienced on my interviews was that AZCOM has very nice sim labs as well (something that DMU seemed to think that this is how they stood apart from other schools) , as well as a nice anatomy lab. Anymore input on what sets DMU apart in this respect would be appreciated.

AZCOM recently allowed you to pick your rotation sites yourself (east/west valley, LA, urbana..etc..) and I am curious as to how these rotations are from people who have experienced them, or if they have at all.

I hear DMU's rotations are pretty solid and they have been doing it for a while. I wouldn't mind being confined to Des Moines for my 3rd year either.

As far as match lists are concerned, I don't really see a difference between the two schools. All matches seem pretty solid at really good programs.

I know AZ is more expensive, but I had a better feeling there on interview day. People seemed happier and more "lively" (playing volleyball, ping pong, etc.)
I also like to experience night life and being close to phoenix (and vegas :D) seems attractive to me, even if I won't have much time for that stuff anyway. I don't know...If anyone can tell me something different about DMU, please enlighten me, but it just seemed like a bit of a ghost town when I was there on interview day...

I guess it seems like by this post that I have already made my decision, but I would really like more input :)

You typed a lot of stuff. I didn't even bother reading it - that's how confident I am in my advice. Go to the cheaper school. If I didn't make that clear before, consider this post making it clear now.