DMU vs. CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zipnogg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that this has been a popular topic in the past, but I would like some input from current applicants/students regarding which school is preferrable.

For me, both seemed to fit equally well.

DMU is attractive because of its top-notch facilities. I had a terrific experience interacting with the faculty and the students of DMU, and I really enjoy the small/medium-city feel (I did my undergrad in Spokane, WA).

CCOM is very appealing because... well, it's in Chicago. Awesome sites. awesome city... it just seems to present more opportunities than Des Moines (I could be terribly wrong; I do not mean to offend anybody). The match CCOM gave me was nothing short of awesome. But I do understand that it is more expensive to both attend CCOM and to live in the area.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

DMU because that is where incredible badasses go. It is kind of a no brainer.

Go to CCOM if you dream about feathers and dancing. Go to DMU if you dream about explosions and car chases.

dmu because that is where incredible badasses go. It is kind of a no brainer.

Go to ccom if you dream about feathers and dancing. Go to dmu if you dream about explosions and car chases.
lmao

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that this has been a popular topic in the past, but I would like some input from current applicants/students regarding which school is preferrable.

For me, both seemed to fit equally well.

DMU is attractive because of its top-notch facilities. I had a terrific experience interacting with the faculty and the students of DMU, and I really enjoy the small/medium-city feel (I did my undergrad in Spokane, WA).

CCOM is very appealing because... well, it's in Chicago. Awesome sites. awesome city... it just seems to present more opportunities than Des Moines (I could be terribly wrong; I do not mean to offend anybody). The match CCOM gave me was nothing short of awesome. But I do understand that it is more expensive to both attend CCOM and to live in the area.

What do you guys think?

Well, if you get accepted to both, you cant go wrong with either. CCOM has pretty great rotation sites but is more expensive. DMU has one of the most awesome fitness centers/gyms ever with a great curriculum. The choice really depends where you are from and what lifestyle you want. If you want to be near a big city, you'll choose CCOM. If you prefer a slightly more rural environment, choose DMU.

Well, if you get accepted to both, you cant go wrong with either. CCOM has pretty great rotation sites but is more expensive. DMU has one of the most awesome fitness centers/gyms ever with a great curriculum. The choice really depends where you are from and what lifestyle you want. If you want to be near a big city, you'll choose CCOM. If you prefer a slightly more rural environment, choose DMU.

I know Des Moines isn't the size of Chicago, but really rural? Wasn't aware that half a million people was rural.

I was between the two but I'm pretty sure I'll choose CCOM despite the higher tuition. It was a great interview experience and remember rotations help you get your foot in the door for residencies... There were a lot of really good hospitals on their rotation list. I volunteered at one even! Plus we won't have to move to a different area every 4 weeks in my 3rd and 4th year. All the sites are decently close to each other, and I'd be so stressed out hunting for apartments while studying.

I was between the two but I'm pretty sure I'll choose CCOM despite the higher tuition. It was a great interview experience and remember rotations help you get your foot in the door for residencies... There were a lot of really good hospitals on their rotation list. I volunteered at one even! Plus we won't have to move to a different area every 4 weeks in my 3rd and 4th year. All the sites are decently close to each other, and I'd be so stressed out hunting for apartments while studying.

There is an explanation concerning how rotations work in the DMU thread. In short, you won't be moving every 4 weeks

Those two schools are very distinct. You should be able to discern for yourself where you will be more comfortable. They are both excellent schools with excellent facilities and both have horrible winters. However ccom does have that amazing anatomy lab with a beautiful 240 view. Your call really. Big city vs rural (yes 500k is rural imo) so no real critical mass of diversity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Those two schools are very distinct. You should be able to discern for yourself where you will be more comfortable. They are both excellent schools with excellent facilities and both have horrible winters. However ccom does have that amazing anatomy lab with a beautiful 240 view. Your call really. Big city vs rural (yes 500k is rural imo) so no real critical mass of diversity.

hahaha i don't know what kind of a city you come from, but judging by the size of the population and the infrastructure the city has, I really wouldn't venture to call Des Moines "rural."

Reactions: 1 user
Ur right I was exaggerating

Another difference is DMU records lectures and CCOM doesn't (although they give you note packets). I'm in the dilemma of choosing one of these two.

I Like DMU for the smaller town feel and cost. But CCOM has those excellent rotations all around Chicago...

There is an explanation concerning how rotations work in the DMU thread. In short, you won't be moving every 4 weeks

"This isn't exactly all true. First 50% of the students do not stay in Des Moines and only rotate at two hospitals. What really happens is 50% of students are put into a group called non-year long Iowa where you are based out of Des Moines and you may have rotations all around the state and sometimes out of state which happens a lot with OB-Gyn. I know for fact that they don't always provide housing. A lot of places do but not every site.

Even year long sites will require some driving. The school feels that an hour commute one way is an acceptable distance to drive to your rotation site" ---Quote from DMU thread

I guess I may not be moving as often as 4 weeks necessarily, but this ^^ was concerning for me especially because I'm interested in OB-GYN for 4th year. Even if I change my mind I'd still have to go through that rotation 3rd year and likely be sent out of state.

speak more about this gym... i am almost sold.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another difference is DMU records lectures and CCOM doesn't

which is INCREDIBLE. Plus they leave them up all 4 years so when you are studying for boards in your second year you can go back and listen to lectures. Or if you want to impress your new friends on rotations in your fourth year you can bust it out. super valuable.

plus it means you don't have to go to class and i am old enough to know what i need to do in order to succeed. going to class is for squares.

Hold up... CCOM doesn't record lecures?????

Trust me.... that right there is a HUGE disadvantage

Truth!

The lack of recorded lectures would automatically disqualify CCOM for me. My school record lectures and leaves them up all 4 years as well. You don't know how nice it is to be able to go back to a concept you need review on from a previous course and watch it at 2X speed for a quick refresher.

And studying at home is a win all the way around.

Hmmm not sure about this. I remember talking to their student president when I was there and I remember him saying that he only went to twenty% of the lectures. I think he said that the lecture notes are extremely detailed and can go through it much faster than listening to the lecture.

Hmmm not sure about this. I remember talking to their student president when I was there and I remember him saying that he only went to twenty% of the lectures. I think he said that the lecture notes are extremely detailed and can go through it much faster than listening to the lecture.

Having recorded lectures provides an opportunity to have the professor clarify a concept through examples that you might find confusing in the lecture notes. Also, not everyone studies the same way and having the option to revisit a recorded lecture is incredibly convenient and helpful.

Yeah I know. I find it kinda incredible that dmu has so many of it's current students (compared to any other school) patrolling this site to defend any bad mouthing of it's school.

Having recorded lectures provides an opportunity to have the professor clarify a concept through examples that you might find confusing in the lecture notes. Also, not everyone studies the same way and having the option to revisit a recorded lecture is incredibly convenient and helpful.

Very true. Lecture notes are great most of the time, but if they were solely sufficient, then we wouldn't need lectures in med school at all. Some concepts just need to be explained by an expert. I can't even imagine not having recorded lectures for med school.

Yeah I know. I find it kinda incredible that dmu has so many of it's current students (compared to any other school) patrolling this site to defend any bad mouthing of it's school.

Didn't know that sharing an opinion as to why I find having recorded lectures a huge benefit was wrongful. Also, I don't see how explaining the benefit of recorded lectures is defending DMU when so many other schools have this option as well.

Oh well, you're entitled to your own opinion.

Very true. Lecture notes are great most of the time, but if they were solely sufficient, then we wouldn't need lectures in med school at all. Some concepts just need to be explained by an expert. I can't even imagine not having recorded lectures for med school.

Couldn't agree more.

Wow that's awesome DMU leaves them up for that long. I'm starting to lean towards DMU! Got a much better vibe from the students at DMU too.

Didn't know that sharing an opinion as to why I find having recorded lectures a huge benefit was wrongful. Also, I don't see how explaining the benefit of recorded lectures is defending DMU when so many other schools have this option as well.

But I wasn't just talking about this particular topic. In other thread related to DMU, there are always several DMU students constantly going on there defending that school. Maybe that really say something great about the school. IDK. I have not yet heard one criticism about this school from any of the student. Maybe this school engenders that kind of loyalty from their students that other schools don't. Or maybe that's just a typical Midwestern attitude.

speak more about this gym... i am almost sold.

Basketball court, indoor track, tons of fitness machines with iPod docks and televisions on each machine. Fitness room with spinning, and other fitness programs like P90x and insanity. There is a free weight section as well, but I didn't look at it as extensively. They are considered " platinum status" in wellness.

But I wasn't just talking about this particular topic. In other thread related to DMU, there are always several DMU students constantly going on there defending that school. Maybe that really say something great about the school. IDK. I have not yet heard one criticism about this school from any of the student. Maybe this school engenders that kind of loyalty from their students that other schools don't. Or maybe that's just a typical Midwestern attitude.

since you already made your views on DMU clear and were rejected perhaps you could leave this thread to the other students also trying to make this decision who like hearing the input of the med students. just an idea

Zoner,

For Cripes sake, if you don't like school X, then go to a different school Y.
HOW HARD IS THAT?

If you keep dissing and nitpicking on school X, then expect return fire from their students and grads.

Is this Zoner dude for real or is he trolling you guys????

Zoner,

For Cripes sake, if you don't like school X, then go to a different school Y.
HOW HARD IS THAT?

If you keep dissing and nitpicking on school X, then expect return fire from their students and grads.

Is this Zoner dude for real or is he trolling you guys????

wthell?

the only problem i had with DMU was its location. plus, i didn't say anything negative about the school but the contrary. i was merely defending CCOM. the op's question was dmu vs ccom. since i have been to both schools, i was giving my opinions. what are you trying to do, censor anything that doesn't paint certain school in s positive light?

btw, who the hell r u kidding...? only three posts so far and all of them something against my posts? i seriously think you are the one trolling?

and i was only pointing out how fervently dmu's students defend their school more than any other school

those of you getting all fired up should really calm down... we can discuss pros and cons of schools in a civilized manner. We're all trying to become physicians by attending the best schools that fit us. Inputs are great, we can agree to disagree, but there's no need to get all heated up.

Basketball court, indoor track, tons of fitness machines with iPod docks and televisions on each machine. Fitness room with spinning, and other fitness programs like P90x and insanity. There is a free weight section as well, but I didn't look at it as extensively. They are considered " platinum status" in wellness.
i interview there in a few weeks. they better show me this miraculous gym of theirs. the fitness center sits above simulation labs in my priority list..

i interview there in a few weeks. they better show me this miraculous gym of theirs. the fitness center sits above simulation labs in my priority list..

I guess I can elaborate on DMU's Wellness Center.

The ground floor basket ball court is dynamic in that it is also used for indoor soccer games, volley ball, and basket ball. On the ground floor you will also find a fitness room where they hold a bunch of different fitness classes including spinning classes, zumba, etc. This room is also stocked with a bunch of standing punching bags (base=water filled) that suffices for those of you who want to practice combat sports/martial arts or those who just want to beat the hell out of something after an exam. A friend and I also found some grappling mats hidden in the back of one of the closets :)

Upstairs can be split into two section, both connected by the upstairs indoor track. On one side you have the cardio equipment that includes a bunch of stair-masters, elliptical machines, treadmills, etc. You get the point!

The other section is what I call the "weight lifting" side. They have a bunch of machines, cables, and a bunch of free weights. There are 3 flat benches for bench press, 1 incline bench, 1 decline, and only 1 squat rack. There is also a leg press as well as a smith machine. To be honest, the weight lifting side isn't anything spectacular. It has everything you need to reach your personal fitness goals and although there is only 1 squat rack, it's usually available when you need it. The dumbbells go up to 120 lbs and there are more than enough adjustable benches for you to complete whatever dumbbell-based exercise you are interested in performing.

and...that sums it up!

N there is a full on gourmet kitchen on the first floor

The ground floor basket ball court. Connected by the upstairs indoor track. There are 3 flat benches for bench press, 1 incline bench, 1 decline, and only 1 squat rack. The dumbbells go up to 120 lbs and there are more than enough adjustable benches for you to complete whatever dumbbell-based exercise you are interested in performing.

and...that sums it up!

that was very informative and definitely sums it up. thank you. ;)

They currently do not but I know for a fact from speaking with people here that this is something they have specifically mentioned that they are looking to change and implant to have streaming lectures and recorded options for possibly as soon as next years entering class.
so do not hang your hat on the whole they do not record lectures thing as that is a situation that is in flux

i was politely prodded to poke my head in here and place some input based on the fact that well i have been at midwestern for 5 years (if you i include my masters program) and can provide good insight into both the academic as well as rotation spect since i am now fully entrenched in that aspect of things.

first let me say that you have to be comfortable with where you go. that is not a decision that i nor any thread can make for you. you have to be comfortable with where you are, because that is by far the key to your success. if you feel outcast or uncomfortable there then you will find yourself struggling....no mater how stellar the school or facility.

CCOM truly has a family feel. i know some places say that but here it is a living breathing thing. when you are accepted you become part of the midwestern family. there is a unique cohesiveness among the students here, not only within your class but also with the class above you and the class below you. this is fostered by the big sib project in which each first year student is paired up with a second year student for advice and insight. there is also what they call a COMcoach program where you can ask for a coach which may be a third or fourth year student if youwanta dictional insight on rotations or matching or COMLEX or USMLE or whatever you need they are there for you. we watch each others backs - people constantly post resources and study guides that they made on our class Facebook page.

the faculty here really do have an open door policy. you can literally go to any faculty member at any time and ask them a question. as long as they do not have a meeting to go to or a class to attend they will sit down and talk with you. some recommend appointments but if you have an emergency you can ask them a question. this not only applies to the faculty but the deans as well. i had the unfortunate situation in my first year of having my grandmother become very seriouslyill right before finals week in my winter quarter where my family and i was not sure she would make it through the weekend. i literally walked right over to the deans office and was seen by one of the deans who helped me tremendously even to the point of making sure i knew how to contact her if the worse thing happened over the weekend. i know this situation is rare, but the point here remains - when your back is against the wall and things have gone to heck in a hand basket the faculty here will step up to the plate and be behind you 1001%. that alone is worth its weight in gold imho.

the fact that i had preselected sites for my rotations was really cool. i could choose city vs suburb vs rural. if you are not sure what type of medicine you may want to practice it is a phenomenal way to be able to experience different situations.

i also love that the faulty here is willing to change. they listen to feedback and make changes - even mid course - for your class or the next class. yes it can be frustrating to be the first class to go through this change but the fact that they are willing to change is amazing.

no school is perfect - DMU is not perfect but then again neither is CCOM. each school will have its own quirks and pitfalls. some of them you do not discover until after you are there. but those little annoyances are not so big when you are happy where you are - they are huge if you are not happy where you are.

moral of the story: go where you are happy and success will follow you

I'm sad we didn't get to see ccom's gym on the tour. Can anyone comment?

They don't have a gym building but have work out rooms with all the machines and weights you will ever need. they also have full size basketball court and tennis court as well on their campus. Plus you are smack in the middle of a rich suburb with all the chain whatever you need very close to the school. I work out ALOT and thought what they had was more than sufficient. Not only that the campus is immaculate and I dare say beautiful.

Last edited:
They don't have a gym building but have work out rooms with all the machines and weights you will ever need. they also have full size basketball court and tennis court as well on their campus. Plus you are smack in the middle of a rich suburb with all the chain whatever you need very close to the school. I work out ALOT and thought what they had was more than sufficient. Not only that the campus is immaculate and I dare say beautiful.

pics or i don't believe. jkjk.

DMU because that is where incredible badasses go. It is kind of a no brainer.

Go to CCOM if you dream about feathers and dancing. Go to DMU if you dream about explosions and car chases.

Lol

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Seems this is true... consider me officially withdrawn from CCOM.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I asked about anatomy and those are definitely recorded. That was really the only one I was concerned about.

anyone else deciding between these schools? such a tough choice. :(

The ground floor basket ball court is dynamic in that it is also used for indoor soccer games, volley ball, and basket ball. On the ground floor you will also find a fitness room where they hold a bunch of different fitness classes including spinning classes, zumba, etc. This room is also stocked with a bunch of standing punching bags (base=water filled) that suffices for those of you who want to practice combat sports/martial arts or those who just want to beat the hell out of something after an exam. A friend and I also found some grappling mats hidden in the back of one of the closets :)

Upstairs can be split into two section, both connected by the upstairs indoor track. On one side you have the cardio equipment that includes a bunch of stair-masters, elliptical machines, treadmills, etc. You get the point!

The other section is what I call the "weight lifting" side. They have a bunch of machines, cables, and a bunch of free weights. There are 3 flat benches for bench press, 1 incline bench, 1 decline, and only 1 squat rack. There is also a leg press as well as a smith machine. To be honest, the weight lifting side isn't anything spectacular. It has everything you need to reach your personal fitness goals and although there is only 1 squat rack, it's usually available when you need it. The dumbbells go up to 120 lbs and there are more than enough adjustable benches for you to complete whatever dumbbell-based exercise you are interested in performing.

and...that sums it up!

Only one squat rack? But where am I going to curl???

And..... I think this is the first time I've bumped a dead thread. Call me the necromancer!

One squat rack? DMU DYEL?
10/10 thread would bump.
"We're all gnna make it brahs"

Haha I just moved into my apartment in DSM! Wool! Might swing by the wellness center tomorrow