Do 3rd yr gen surgery rotation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chirodocjrd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a DO student trying to set up my 3rd year general surgery rotation and I'd like get some input from residents and attendings. I have the opportunity to do the general surgery rotation at a DO residency program that I am possibly interested in applying to down the road. This residency doesn't hold formal interviews but does an interview when you do an audition rotation at the program. Do you think it would be a smart or poor decision to do my 3rd year general surgery rotation at this residency? I will be doing my surgery selective in August and OB/GYN in September so I will have some surgery experience behind me, but I don't want to hinder my chances if I go there in March and don't perform up to the level they are expecting (ie. a 4th yr auditioning student level). My thought is that the PD may use this opportunity to assess my skills and "interview" me instead of having me do an official audition in the fall of 4th year. I will have done all rotations except Peds and Family med by the time that I would rotate there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a DO student trying to set up my 3rd year general surgery rotation and I'd like get some input from residents and attendings. I have the opportunity to do the general surgery rotation at a DO residency program that I am possibly interested in applying to down the road. This residency doesn't hold formal interviews but does an interview when you do an audition rotation at the program. Do you think it would be a smart or poor decision to do my 3rd year general surgery rotation at this residency? I will be doing my surgery selective in August and OB/GYN in September so I will have some surgery experience behind me, but I don't want to hinder my chances if I go there in March and don't perform up to the level they are expecting (ie. a 4th yr auditioning student level). My thought is that the PD may use this opportunity to assess my skills and "interview" me instead of having me do an official audition in the fall of 4th year. I will have done all rotations except Peds and Family med by the time that I would rotate there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a DO and I don't have any experience in the DO audition area, but if you're trying to make a good impression, I would go as a 4th year so that you'd have a better ability to show your stuff off by that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.