Do adcoms care about the type of science class from which you get a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudysunshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know that med schools want science letters from science professors (bio, chem, physics) but do they have a preference for what type of class it is from? For instance, physical chemistry vs. organic chemistry, or plant bio vs. human physio.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I know that med schools want science letters from science professors (bio, chem, physics) but do they have a preference for what type of class it is from? For instance, physical chemistry vs. organic chemistry, or plant bio vs. human physio.

Doubt it; I'm sure any BCP course will be fine

It's more important to figure out which professors will write you the strongest letters. If you finished in the top 5% of your intro biology class and worked closely with the professor, go with that one over some advanced, 300 person anatomy class that you did okay in and barely knew the professor.

I didn't think it mattered until a premed advisor told me it did, but I don't know how much I trust them...

Adcoms don't care where you got your science letters from. Your premed advisor is a complete idiot. Welcome to SDN.

how about the grade you got in that professor's class?

I got a LOR from a class I got a B+ in but worked closely somewhat with last year

I didn't think it mattered until a premed advisor told me it did, but I don't know how much I trust them...
A good deal of advisors are useless.

No it doesn't matter, the letter should be strong though. Talk to your professor in person to get a feeling as to how strong it will be; they might even let you read it.

To the previous poster, the grade won't matter much especially if you've worked with them afterwards.