Do adcoms see ethnicity on transcripts and mcat reports?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahLLO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle, and while I put down Asian for college and the mcat, I don't want to put down an ethnicity for AMCAS. I just want to put decline to answer. Will amcas or the adcoms see my ethnicity on other forms?

Members don't see this ad.

Ethnicity/Race questions from schools and MCAT are collected for internal statistics and government required reporting. They are not on MCAT or Transcripts. Answering or declining on AMCAS what matter as it is not reported to medical schools on the application.

So med schools will not see that I put Asian at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean on the application. I had thought that they saw it during app review.
Gonnif is one of the most knowledgable people around, if he says they can't see it I would take that as true unless someone presented documented proof otherwise.
Of course if your name is stereotypically Asian that would be a big clue to them.
The main thing is don't lie

If you decline to answer, it doesn't matter what you wrote elsewhere, you have a right not to answer the question. AMCAS "knows" what every one of the 50,000+ who take the MCAT list as ethnicity and of course they have access to every AMCAS application but I'd be shocked if they ever had the time and inclination to match things up. On the application, it is just a demographic characteristic that is used for statistical purposes.

Reactions: 1 user
They might get some idea if/when you show up for an interview.

Also I don't look Asian
Gonnif is one of the most knowledgable people around, if he says they can't see it I would take that as true unless someone presented documented proof otherwise.
Of course if your name is stereotypically Asian that would be a big clue to them.
The main thing is don't lie

My name doesn't indicate i'm asian. Is it lying when I put decline to answer though? I'm not saying i'm NA or black. I feel like it's there for a reason.

If you decline to answer, it doesn't matter what you wrote elsewhere, you have a right not to answer the question. AMCAS "knows" what every one of the 50,000+ who take the MCAT list as ethnicity and of course they have access to every AMCAS application but I'd be shocked if they ever had the time and inclination to match things up. On the application, it is just a demographic characteristic that is used for statistical purposes.

Thanks!

Also I don't look Asian

My name doesn't indicate i'm asian. Is it lying when I put decline to answer though? I'm not saying i'm NA or black. I feel like it's there for a reason.
No it's not lying to decline to answer. People have many reasons not to answer that question.