Do adcoms view married students w/ children positively?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Herme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've just been preparing for an interview I have coming up at MN and Midwestern, and was wondering how adcoms view applicants who are married. We recently had our first baby as well. I'm probably just overthinking it, but it seems like they could go either way on it. Having a better idea where adcoms tend to stand will definitely affect many of my answers to common interview questions.

Thoughts please?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in any insight into this as well since I'm married with a kid and have an interview next month as well.

Regardless of what adcoms think, being married, and even more so, having a child, has made me about 20 times more disciplined, determined, studious, humble, and committed to dentistry. More importantly it has translated into a big upward trend in GPA and a good DAT score. Hopefully they can recognize that.

I'm interested in any insight into this as well since I'm married with a kid and have an interview next month as well.

Regardless of what adcoms think, being married, and even more so, having a child, has made me about 20 times more disciplined, determined, studious, humble, and committed to dentistry. More importantly it has translated into a big upward trend in GPA and a good DAT score. Hopefully they can recognize that.
I think you answered your own question. As long as you can present your case in that light you are good to go. What DS is NOT looking for is immaturity and childish behavior. Not to say - everyone should get married before DS but once you put a positive spin on this stage of your life it would be considered as such.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they do.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I just don't want them to think "Oh, this guy has all kinds of responsibility outside of school. What if he can't handle all of it." Stuff like that. Probably just paranoid. To me, having a family makes me that much more motivated to succeed.

I have no knowledge of this personally, but I did have a classmate in his late 20s who had a family and interviewed at a dental school.

He said that he didn't feel it was an issue at all except for one of his interviewers, who grilled him pretty hard about it and he said he felt a little uneasy about it afterwards. He definitely felt that interviewer wasn't looking at it in a positive light.

Obviously I don't think this is very common. However, if you do get an interviewer like that, make sure to highlight the good things about it (learned to take on more responsibility, more determination/hard work, etc.) just like alanan said and be confident in your answers.

I was just wondering, do you married people expect to work and go to dental school, or what is the plan? marry a rich wife who can support the family or live from loans for the next 4 years? It must be so hard to be in dental school and have a family. I can't even imagine that.

Why exactly would being married with children a positive thing in terms of admissions into a school?

I was just wondering, do you married people expect to work and go to dental school, or what is the plan? marry a rich wife who can support the family or live from loans for the next 4 years? It must be so hard to be in dental school and have a family. I can't even imagine that.

Why can't you imagine it? I wouldn't want it any other way! When you are married, you don't have to worry about the dating scene if you want companionship. You always have someone close to you that will be there for you on days you need someone to vent to. It is just plane wonderful having there to take your mind off things when times are tough in school. As far as kids go in d-school, I cannot speak from experience. But every parent I know of in school does well in school. Being a parent makes them more motivated and makes them prioritize everything. I can tell you from experience that just the thought of being a parent can change how you feel about your schooling. I recently found out my wife was pregnant with twins (2 1/2 months along now). Even though I love dental school, I am more motivated than ever now as I have two babies on the way that I will need to support. I cannot wait to have to deal with the juggles of being a father and a student.

Yes, finances can be tight in school when you have a family, but it is very doable. You just have to be frugal with everything. I am fortnate to not be in this situation sice I am ont he navy HSCP and my wife is a pharmacist, but I know the people I know with families wouldn't change their situation for anything. They gain more in life having their children than they lose by not having a lot of money while in school.

Why exactly would being married with children a positive thing in terms of admissions into a school?

For the most part, the married students with familes are the more mature students and tend to be more motivated. having a family tends to keep the d-school students more grounded and forces students to know how to prioritize. They may not always be the top of the class, but for the most part they do excell in d-school. Knowing this is the case historically, the adcoms do take this into account and that is why I feel they consider having a family a positive thing.

Well said NAVYDDS!

And Congratulations on the twins. We have a 3 month old, twins will be an adventure for sure! :)

I also have been offered the HPSP from the navy, so that's my plan also. The scholarship is amazing, and I can't even imagine the financial burden it would take off of my shoulders to allow me to just focus on dental school.

Good Luck with everything!

It is definately possible. my brother-in-law just graduated last year with 3 kids. They had a bunch of friends with kids that did it. I have an 18 month old and we are hoping to have another one before school starts. I totally agree with those who have said that being married with kids has only helped you be a better student. It might take a little more sacrifice, but it is so worth it! Boo ya to responsibility!

At MWU I would say married with kids comes off as a positive thing. not an advantage of any kind, but as a positive thing you have going on in your life.

well since we are talking about married applicants here. Have you heard from anyone saying that their classmates are married couple who are attending the same D-school?

How positive or negative do you think a married couple would be viewed in the eyes of adcom? Do you think it should be mentioned to the committee in the interview? I know graduate schools are very forgiving. In fact, they let both in at the same time, if only one gets in and one doesn't (it doesn't mean the one who doesn't is not a competitive candidate; you have to keep in mind, some schools only take 5-6 grad students)

Members don't see this ad :)
It was certainly a positive in my interviews. In 4/6 interviews women were present and 2 of my interviews were conducted only by women. They loved talking about my family and where we were at in our lives and where we wanted to go. At my NYU interview this topic dominated my interview. Another interview was conducted by a sort of aggressive man and so I didn't really hit on the family stuff that much.

well since we are talking about married applicants here. Have you heard from anyone saying that their classmates are married couple who are attending the same D-school?

How positive or negative do you think a married couple would be viewed in the eyes of adcom? Do you think it should be mentioned to the committee in the interview? I know graduate schools are very forgiving. In fact, they let both in at the same time, if only one gets in and one doesn't (it doesn't mean the one who doesn't is not a competitive candidate; you have to keep in mind, some schools only take 5-6 grad students)

I knew a couple last year at BYU that each got into like 4 or 5 schools together. They both had about a 3.7 and ~20AA. I don't know if they talked about it in their interviews or not though.

thanks for letting me know.. at least I know it can be done... do you happen to know which schools they both got into? thanks

brb starting a family -- any female volunteers? :D

my interview is in 3 months. Any volunteers?

thanks for letting me know.. at least I know it can be done... do you happen to know which schools they both got into? thanks

Ummm... Yeah they were both Utah residents and I know for sure they got into Case, Nova, and UNLV. I know there were 1 or 2 more schools but I don't remember which ones.

I will be married in the near, near future and I was hesitant on mentioning it in my interview. However, I feel it has made me more mature and responsible since I am in a stable part of my life. I have no worries and I am just set on one goal, getting into Dental School. I am lucky in that I do not have kids (I do want them later though just not yet!) now so I can divide all my attention to school and still come home to the love of my life. :oops:

I hope an NY school sends me an interview soon though...

Does anyone know if you're more likely to get accepted to a school closer to your home? (I am from NY) if you are married/engaged because if you got an interview I am assuming you have your foot in the door already, so why would they separate two lovers?!

I hope they don't :oops:( I would be devastated!!

DAT: 21 TS: 22 / GPA 3.8

I will be married in the near, near future and I was hesitant on mentioning it in my interview. However, I feel it has made me more mature and responsible since I am in a stable part of my life. I have no worries and I am just set on one goal, getting into Dental School. I am lucky in that I do not have kids (I do want them later though just not yet!) now so I can divide all my attention to school and still come home to the love of my life. :oops:

I hope an NY school sends me an interview soon though...

Does anyone know if you're more likely to get accepted to a school closer to your home? (I am from NY) if you are married/engaged because if you got an interview I am assuming you have your foot in the door already, so why would they separate two lovers?!

I hope they don't :oops:( I would be devastated!!

DAT: 21 TS: 22 / GPA 3.8

If you get accepted I'm pretty sure it'll be because you're qualified and they like you, NOT because they don't want to separate two lovers...

i'm nowhere near close to marriage/kids, but i'm finding this thread interesting. i'm assuming (though of course i could be wrong) that all of you on here applying/already in with spouses and kids are males. but i'm wondering about mothers with very young children - how could adcoms view that since they're usually the primary caregivers?

i'm nowhere near close to marriage/kids, but i'm finding this thread interesting. i'm assuming (though of course i could be wrong) that all of you on here applying/already in with spouses and kids are males. but i'm wondering about mothers with very young children - how could adcoms view that since they're usually the primary caregivers?

I'm friends with a couple of the mothers in my class but I don't really know how it played out back in the admissions process. At NYU we break into clinics 3rd and 4th years (I think there are 5) and and almost half of the people in my clinic are married, maybe a third of those have kids. I really think it can only help unless you are the octamom in which case you have bigger problems.

If you get accepted I'm pretty sure it'll be because you're qualified and they like you, NOT because they don't want to separate two lovers...

If you read correctly I said "MORE LIKELY"

Obviously the initial interview is based on numbers.

For the most part, the married students with familes are the more mature students and tend to be more motivated. having a family tends to keep the d-school students more grounded and forces students to know how to prioritize. They may not always be the top of the class, but for the most part they do excell in d-school. Knowing this is the case historically, the adcoms do take this into account and that is why I feel they consider having a family a positive thing.

I asked that question knowing exactly how people would answer the question. However, I just don't think those qualities come with being married or having kids. Motivation and ability are two distinct qualities, and being motivated doesn't mean you're capable. At the professional school level, we're already dealing with motivated people, and those qualities exist in many people, unmarried or married.

At my dental class, EVERY student near the top of the class are single and unmarried. Perhaps that's a coincidence. Perhaps it's age, because peoples' minds tend to be faster when they're younger. The youthful may be unmarried, less mature, less learned in life, etc; but their minds are razor sharp.

The youthful may be unmarried, less mature, less learned in life, etc; but their minds are razor sharp.

Oh no! I'm already losing my mind at the ripe old age of 26. It's all downhill from here!:laugh:

I asked that question knowing exactly how people would answer the question. However, I just don't think those qualities come with being married or having kids. Motivation and ability are two distinct qualities, and being motivated doesn't mean you're capable. At the professional school level, we're already dealing with motivated people, and those qualities exist in many people, unmarried or married.

At my dental class, EVERY student near the top of the class are single and unmarried. Perhaps that's a coincidence. Perhaps it's age, because peoples' minds tend to be faster when they're younger. The youthful may be unmarried, less mature, less learned in life, etc; but their minds are razor sharp.

Studies show the "sharpest" your mind will be is 30+. Don't ask for articles and what not, just google it.
But I do think having kids (or even a spouse) during dental school will pull your grades down because you will have an extra job.

Studies show the "sharpest" your mind will be is 30+. Don't ask for articles and what not, just google it.
But I do think having kids (or even a spouse) during dental school will pull your grades down because you will have an extra job.

These studies were probably conducted by old people. And they probably took too long to interpret the data that they just made something up. Or they couldn't find their reading glasses and see the actual results. Anyway, isn't it your bedtime already in the east coast?

These studies were probably conducted by old people. And they probably took too long to interpret the data that they just made something up. Or they couldn't find their reading glasses and see the actual results. Anyway, isn't it your bedtime already in the east coast?

:thumbup: :laugh::laugh:

I'm on west coast.

as far as i know, adcoms hate children. so if you have children, i recommend you not saying you have any.

hehe

but seriously i met a lot more ppl during my interviews last year who were married and/or had children than i thought i would, so i'm going to assume it definitely doesn't hurt