Do Additional Letters of Recommendations Increase Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gotten three professors I know well to write me letters of recommendations. \

One is my anatomy professor who has asked me to write a ton answering his questions so he can write a good letter. I also have a job where I tutor anatomy (not officially under him) but he knows about it and we meet and talk about it.

One is my Sociology of Health professor. I talked a lot in her class and brought up current events and she liked me.

One is my topics in physiology professor. I talk alot in class answering his questions and attend office hours and he really likes me.

I have friends though that are getting Lab PI letters (didn't do long term research), letters from teachers in high school (I didn't maintain relations) that know them really well, physician letters (i've shadowed physicians but I don't think I did anything of merit for them to write me an LOR).

My problem is I feel inadequate. My GPAs good as well as my ECs but my MCAT will prolli be mediocre (28-29) and I want my application to be superb so I can get into some MD school (I have conditional acceptance at MSUCOM). Will additional letters help. I could probably shadow a physician last minute over this summer starting in May for a month and still have time to get a LOR from him at the earliest time possible. Should I do that? Will it increase my chances? I know that the obvious answer is maybe a little but I was wondering if it's a good idea to try and get an additional one or if it won't make much of a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lololololololololol

Last edited:
Quality over quantity when it comes to applying to medical school. When the Adcoms open your file you want them to find nothing but quality.

Survivor DO