Do admission requirements have to be completed before application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noroozi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

Do dental schools require the required courses to be completed by the time they receive the application or it is possible to just be enrolled in the required courses, in other words be taking one of the required courses? I ask because i won't be able to have a full year of organic and inorganic chemistry completed by the time i apply in my 3rd year, but i do plan to be enrolled in spring chemistry courses. I know this might vary from school to school but i was wondering if any of you had information on this.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

No - but 80% of it should be, its common to have incomplete coursework. You can apply if you have couple of Gchem and Organic courses to complete, but the burden is on you to convince the adcoms that you will do good in those planned courses - and that means you have to show some good grades on the ones you have already taken when you apply. Otherwise, it's a "wait-and-see" situatuition.

I left Physics and a few minor classes until my last semester...I finished all the core Gen/Org. Chemistry, Biology, and upper-division biology classes first so that the adcom could see my progess.

All your requirements must be fulfilled before the start of dental schools. However, because the adcom uses mainly the pre-requisities grades to determine if you get an interview or not, so it is good to get most of them completed before September of your enrollment year.