DoctorLacrosse's Inspirational Comeback Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorLacrosse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

First off I would like to say THANK YOU to all SDN members. Discovering this forum has been a real gift, and the amount of helpful information on here is incredible! I have been lurking for quite some time now (changed account to hide personal details) and figured it was time to seek some more personalized advice. So here is a bit of my background...

I am currently a junior at a decently well-known school. I had my share of trouble adjusting to college, and like everyone else I have been through my fair share of personal family issues. However, I have never been one to make excuses and do not plan to start now. Depression has never been an issue, I am a pleasant and social guy, just did not have my priorities straight it would seem, on top of the aforementioned family issues. Bottom line is I did not work hard enough to earn the grades I need to get into medical school, and that all needs to change now. I am about to start my Spring semester of my junior year, which will be my toughest yet. I am going to work my butt off and I am GOING to do well.

Here are my stats up to this point:
cGPA: 2.98
sGPA: 2.74

Pre-req grades so far:
Chem 1: C
Chem 2: B-
Bio 1: C+
Bio 2: C+
Physics 1: B-
Physics 2: B-

*Have not taken any Organic Chem yet, plan to do so Fall of next year*

Pathetic, I know. I have done the math and just by retaking Chem 1, Bio 1, and Bio 2 and receiving A's, my cGPA would go up to a 3.23 and my sGPA would go up to a 3.3. These numbers do not even include any additional upper division classes I could take to boost those numbers, as well as my major requirement classes that should boost it up also.

My plan to change my life around so far looks like this, but I am unsure if this is the right way to do it. This is a major place I need some advice. Any help would be great. Post-bacc instead? Or is this good?

I am obviously going to need to do some post-bacc work to utilize the grade replacement policy that DO schools offer, but I was debating on the idea of putting off my major requirements in order to do some retakes first. This way I would still be a matriculating student so I would still be able to get financial aid and my class selection will not be limited. I have a unique major, and the way it works at my school is during your last year you finish the major. However, if I chose to do my retakes and finish my pre-reqs next year instead of moving on to my major courses, I could just do my major curriculum the following year and just graduate a year late.

My main question is, is graduating a year late a red flag to adcom? Is it wise to do my "post-bacc" a year early in order to be able to get financial aid as a matriculating student, and then to just graduate a year later? Or should I just continue as planned, graduate on time, and come back here or somewhere else post-bacc to retake classes and finish my pre-reqs?

Another question is, is it wise to retake the pre-reqs I got a B- in? I know for a fact I can do far better than that seeing as how I did not study for any of these classes really and received these grades. With hard work (which I fully intend on starting) I can easily turn these grades around.

Sorry for the long and drawn out story, but please help me with any advice you have to give. Whether it be negative or positive, I am all ears, and I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out. :)

*I also plan to keep updating this thread as more of my story unfolds, so those of you who help me, please be on the lookout for more advice giving opportunities in the future!*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Wow, you've got a lot grade repair to do. Two paths are viable:
Repeat all of the C classes (I'd hold off on the B-'s as I do not know how your school weights them for GPA). From now on, perform at B+/A level. If your GPA is around 3.3 at that piojt, then you're oK for pretty much any DO school.

Alternative is proceed as planned, and then do a post-bac/SMP. Show the AdComs you can handle the rigors of medical school.

good luck!

Here are my stats up to this point:[/B]
cGPA: 3.00
sGPA: 2.74

Pre-req grades so far:
Chem 1: C
Chem 2: B-
Bio 1: C+
Bio 2: C+
Physics 1: B-
Physics 2: B-

*Have not taken any Organic Chem yet, plan to do so Fall of next year*

Pathetic, I know. I have done the math and just by retaking Chem 1, Bio 1, and Bio 2 and receiving A's, my cGPA would go up to a 3.23 and my sGPA would go up to a 3.3. These numbers do not even include any additional upper division classes I could take to boost those numbers, as well as my senior year health science curriculum classes that should boost it up also.

My plan to change my life around so far looks like this, but I am unsure if this is the right way to do it. This is a major place I need some advice. Any help would be great. Post-bacc instead? Or is this good?

I am obviously going to need to do some post-bacc work to utilize the grade replacement policy that DO schools offer, but I was debating on the idea of putting off my major requirements in order to do some retakes first. This way I would still be a matriculating student in my fourth year so I would still be able to get financial aid and my class selection will not be limited. I am a Health Science major, and the way it works at my school is during your last year of undergrad here you specialize in a health field. However, if I chose to do my retakes and finish my pre-reqs next year instead of moving on to the health science curriculum, I could just do my health science curriculum the following year and just graduate a year late.

My main question is, is graduating a year late a red flag to adcom? Is it wise to do my "post-bacc" a year early in order to be able to get financial aid as a matriculating student, and then to just graduate a year later? Or should I just continue as planned, graduate on time, and come back here or somewhere else post-bacc to retake classes and finish my pre-reqs?

Another question is, is it wise to retake the pre-reqs I got a B- in? I know for a fact I can do far better than that seeing as how I did not study for any of these classes really and received these grades. With hard work (which I fully intend on starting) I can easily turn these grades around.

Sorry for the long and drawn out story, but please help me with any advice you have to give. Whether it be negative or positive, I am all ears, and I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out. :)

*I also plan to keep updating this thread as more of my story unfolds, so those of you who help me, please be on the lookout for more advice giving opportunities in the future!*

Yeah I know I've dug myself into quite a hole. I plan to turn it all around starting immediately. Thanks for the kind words!

Does that mean it isn't a big deal to do retakes and just graduate a year late rather than a traditional post-bacc?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The semester has just started and I am already working harder than I ever have. Does anyone else have any helpful advice for my situation?

Does that mean it isn't a big deal to do retakes and just graduate a year late rather than a traditional post-bacc?
Either path is fine. Your GPA would be identical after AACOMAS does the calculation and creates an overall application GPA. The advantage of a fifth year of college is maintaining loan eligibility as well as registration priority for the classes you need the most.

Advantage of postbac is that you could do it at a cheaper school if you now have high tuition, but you also might be required to start paying back loans if you are no longer a degree candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response. As you mentioned my tuition is currently very low, so changing schools would not be necessary. Paying back loans would be extremely hard for me to do which is why I figured this would be better, as long as it does not negatively affect me in anyway. Just need to double check with my school to be sure retakes are possible.

Thanks again for the help! Will update my situation once this semester ends, good luck to everyone.

Just to follow-up; graduating late is never an issue for my AdCom colleagues. Life happens, and not everyone is ready to go to college at age 18-19. Good luck.

Thank you for the response. As you mentioned my tuition is currently very low, so changing schools would not be necessary. Paying back loans would be extremely hard for me to do which is why I figured this would be better, as long as it does not negatively affect me in anyway. Just need to double check with my school to be sure retakes are possible.

Thanks again for the help! Will update my situation once this semester ends, good luck to everyone.

Just to follow-up; graduating late is never an issue for my AdCom colleagues. Life happens, and not everyone is ready to go to college at age 18-19. Good luck.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. You've been particularly helpful, I'm glad I posted. Hopefully I'll have some good news to update in a few months. :thumbup:

It seems like your plan is good. Do what you have to do regarding the financial situation. If you could get into a DO program this would be great, as doing a special masters, although these have a high success rate, are costly.

Thank you DrMagic. I'm going to go ahead with this plan and keep working at getting A's. next year will be the most important year of my academic career. I need to do well in my retakes and in orgo. Glad I still have a little bit of time, and SDN!, to get my act together.

Well, for those who have helped me out so far, and for any of those who may be interested, here I am with my first update since implementing my new focus towards school! Overall this past Spring semester went very well, but I know I can still do better. A lot of my old habits started to creep back in towards the end here, but Here's where I'm at after this semester.

Anatomy & Physiology 1: A
Intro Psychology: A
Business Law: A
Geology: A
Physiology: B
Bio Lab 2: B

GPA: 3.71

Pretty upset with my physiology and bio lab grades, but clearly it was a learning semester, and I finally know just how much it takes to earn A's. I'm extremely happy with the turn out, and I am officially on my way out of the hole that i dug myself into! Excited to start my summer courses, and looking forward to Orgo next semester. Also, was just offered a position in a local hospital as a CNA, which I am so excited about! Thank you to those who have offered advice so far, hopefully more good news coming in the future!

Reactions: 2 users
Overall this now puts me at a 3.128 cGPA and a 2.957 sGPA, assuming geology and anatomy count as science courses. With my retakes in the fall, I will be well on my way to where I need to be. Definitely excited!

Does anyone know if geology and anatomy & phys are science courses?

Overall this now puts me at a 3.128 cGPA and a 2.957 sGPA, assuming geology and anatomy count as science courses. With my retakes in the fall, I will be well on my way to where I need to be. Definitely excited!

Congratulations on turning things around! That is really impressive! I know anatomy and physiology will be considered science courses, not positive about geology, but I would assume so. I think there is a list (maybe on the AACOMAS website) about what is/is not considered part of the sGPA. Sorry I can't be more help....mostly just wanted to say congrats! Don't beat yourself up too much about the B's, I am assuming the Bio Lab is only 1 credit (at least that's how much labs were worth at my university), so that shouldn't be too big of a problem, and like you said it was a learning semester. You are on the right path! Keep us updated :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on turning things around! That is really impressive! I know anatomy and physiology will be considered science courses, not positive about geology, but I would assume so. I think there is a list (maybe on the AACOMAS website) about what is/is not considered part of the sGPA. Sorry I can't be more help....mostly just wanted to say congrats! Don't beat yourself up too much about the B's, I am assuming the Bio Lab is only 1 credit (at least that's how much labs were worth at my university), so that shouldn't be too big of a problem, and like you said it was a learning semester. You are on the right path! Keep us updated :thumbup:

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer me some encouragement! It was definitely not as difficult as I had imagined to do well, and I knew I could do it with a little effort. Just a few more steps to take to become a (hopefully) 4.0 student haha :laugh:

Also, I just found the list you mentioned about AACOMAS science courses, and geology is indeed on there! Thanks again for the kind words! Will definitely be updating this as much as possible, just want to beat the odds. :thumbup:

both do for DO school

So my summer session of classes just finished, and I'm back with another little update. I took two classes, getting A's in both of them. Love watching my GPA rise!!

Officially puts me at a 3.19 cGPA and a 3.03 sGPA. Next year will be the toughest/most important for me, so I will be keeping the hard work going. Thanks to all who've helped so far!

Last edited:
Congrats! :soexcited:

What cycle are you applying?

Congrats! :soexcited:

What cycle are you applying?

haha thank you! believe me, I'm excited myself lol. I haven't decided if I should apply next year or the following year. applying the following year would give me a gap year, though I feel my application will be significantly better if I wait to apply. I want to be one and done so I just may have to calculate how things will look for each year and decide then. may call for another SDN thread haha ;)

Thank you for the encouragement!

Great job on the improvements. Your hard work will pay off. I'm in a similar situation (with GPA repair), so I'll follow your updates and hope to hear of some good news when the time comes! Good luck

Great job on the improvements. Your hard work will pay off. I'm in a similar situation (with GPA repair), so I'll follow your updates and hope to hear of some good news when the time comes! Good luck

Yeah definitely. I'll try to keep up with your story as well. I like to keep the notion in my mind that those of us who fought to make it will someday (hopefully) make the best doctors haha. Good luck on your journey, it'll all be worth it!

So here with another end of the semester update for those who have helped me a ton along the way. Unfortunately this one isn't as good as I hoped it would be. but here it is anyway...

Gen Chem 1 (retook a C): A-
Bio 1 (retook C+): B+
Intro to Engineering: A
Orgo 1: B-
TA for anatomy and phys credit: A
Research credit: A

This gave me a semester GPA of 3.42. The retakes brought my AACOMAS cGPA to 3.35 and my sGPA to 3.30. Here is my dilemma however...

Clearly I did not do as well in any of these classes as I planned on doing. Orgo became a very big burden on me and I did all that I could to do well on the final, even ignoring my other two finals for my retakes until the last minute, and it didn't pay off. I did poorly in that class and got slightly lower grades in the others because of it. Am I screwed for not acing my retakes? is this B- in orgo going to kill me too? Obviously I have to do better in Orgo 2 so I plan on working my butt off to prove I can handle the course, even if my school makes it seem impossible to do well in it. Please offer any advice you may have. Harsh honesty welcome as well. Thanks guys :(

Last edited:
So here with another end of the semester update for those who have helped me a ton along the way. Unfortunately this one isn't as good as I hoped it would be. but here it is anyway...

Gen Chem 1 (retook a C): A-
Bio 1 (retook C+): B+
Intro to Engineering: A
Orgo 1: B-
TA for anatomy and phys credit: A
Clinical Research credit: A

This gave me a semester GPA of 3.42. The retakes brought my AACOMAS cGPA to 3.35 and my sGPA to 3.30. Here is my dilemma however...

Clearly I did not do as well in any of these classes as I planned on doing. Orgo became a very big burden on me and I did all that I could to do well on the final, even ignoring my other two finals for my retakes until the last minute, and it didn't pay off. I did poorly in that class and got slightly lower grades in the others because of it. Am I screwed for not acing my retakes? is this B- in orgo going to kill me too? Obviously I have to do better in Orgo 2 so I plan on working my balls off to prove I can handle the course, even if my school makes it seem impossible to do well in it. Please offer any advice you may have. Harsh honesty welcome as well. Thanks guys :(

You're doing fine. Quit fussing. Plenty of people with your GPA's have gotten in with 23's and 24's.

You're doing fine. Quit fussing. Plenty of people with your GPA's have gotten in with 23's and 24's.

I know that my gpas seem okay, but I'm just worried because my retakes weren't great, and a lot of my pre-req grades are pretty bad. Now with orgo joining the list, I just feel like I shot myself in the foot.

I know that my gpas seem okay, but I'm just worried because my retakes weren't great, and a lot of my pre-req grades are pretty bad. Now with orgo joining the list, I just feel like I shot myself in the foot.

your overall performance is what matters.

your overall performance is what matters.

Really? I've heard adcoms circle orgo specifically sometimes, and definitely check pre-req grades as the most important. I'm hoping you're right though.

The way most colleges are overcrowded these days, there is no such thing as graduating "late" from undergrad anymore and I don't know anyone that did it in under 4 years plus a semester or two, so you're fine in that regard. Do not take any science courses in summer break; it is very hard to do better in them than if you did them in a regular-length semester.

Retake the C classes, saving your hardest C- classes for last, since a C is a C unless you make it into an A, in my experience with the whole n=1 thing. Keep the B classes as they are. If you're doing a bunch of retakes, it will be difficult to get into a Post-Bacc program as they will say that there's not much they can do for you if you're already repeating a bunch of classes.

Shoot for an MCAT of 32+ by asking others that got around there how they studied. If you can't get around 32 after 2 tries, apply all of DO except for the state of Ohio which is notorious for automatic rejection of OOS apps, and get at least one DO shadowing experience under your belt for as long as possible and make sure you ask for a "STRONG LIKE BLUE MOUNTAIN COFFEE" LOR from him/her and be a great doctor.

Bringing in a bag or two for wouldn't hurt:

http://www.bluemountaincoffee.com/index.cfm?method=Products_ProductDetail&id=13

You kicked a** on your retakes, as far as I'm concerned, so just take a consistent 12-14 unit load for the rest of your undergrad to show that you can accommodate whatever made you have less than stellar grades in the first place and make the classes the term just before your MCAT "lighter" ones so you have the maximum chance of studying. I also recommend getting an honest assessment of your study methods and ruling out any learning disabilities with a professional psychiatrist either through your UG or out in private practice that specializes in these sorts of things. It can only help and is much better if you catch this now.

I recommend get a First Aid for USMLE Step 1 book, any year past 2006 will do, and see if you can use it to research some of the subjects in your MCAT guides. Overkill...yes; helpful...also yes and much cheaper than the useless Kaplan or Princeton Review courses. Kill OChem 2 and Biochem no matter what load you have to do to accommodate this and this may improve your chances too.

You're doing fine, go DO and we'd be glad to have you with us!

I greatly appreciate the reply JGimpel, so thank you! I certainly do not have a learning disability of any kind, believe me when I tell you haha. Just a lazy first couple of years. I do indeed plan on killing the MCAT when that time comes, and after one more retake I think I'll be all set on those. Just gotta finish orgo 2 and biochem strongly like you said.

Your last sentence there was the most appreciated one of all I must say. Seems like the big difference between allopathic and osteopathic students is that sense of "acceptance" vs. "you're not good enough". Thanks again for the words of wisdom!

Hey I just wanted to say congratulations and good luck with your final semesters! You really turned your grades around. This is an inspiration for me because I am in a very very similar situation that you were in last year when you were a Junior. (I'm a current Junior entering the spring semester with a cGPA of 3.05).
I'm going to continue to read your posts as motivation for me and to keep updated about what happens with your application cycle. My full dilemma is a few threads under you titled "Need deep-rooted advice" if you want to see how similar our situations are.

I'm also considering a post-bacc program or SMP of some sort. So let me know what others tell you is best since you're a year ahead of me.

Again congratulations on the turn-around and keep up the hard work. I can only hope to get my s*** together like you did.

I greatly appreciate the reply JGimpel, so thank you! I certainly do not have a learning disability of any kind, believe me when I tell you haha. Just a lazy first couple of years. I do indeed plan on killing the MCAT when that time comes, and after one more retake I think I'll be all set on those. Just gotta finish orgo 2 and biochem strongly like you said.

Your last sentence there was the most appreciated one of all I must say. Seems like the big difference between allopathic and osteopathic students is that sense of "acceptance" vs. "you're not good enough". Thanks again for the words of wisdom!

I'm glad the advice was helpful. I mainly recommended getting the professional assessment of your study and cognitive skills because that can be a cause of a general downward trend or stagnation of GPA in more challenging UG subjects, but since you were very forthcoming about your lack of effort and willingness to put a lot more into it from this point forward, that's behind you and DON'T LOOSE MOMENTUM from now on; deal? Hmm, does that last sentence sound like exactly what an interviewer wants to hear...? Frame it in that context and you'll have that stuff ironed out during your interview.

Hey I just wanted to say congratulations and good luck with your final semesters! You really turned your grades around. This is an inspiration for me because I am in a very very similar situation that you were in last year when you were a Junior. (I'm a current Junior entering the spring semester with a cGPA of 3.05).
I'm going to continue to read your posts as motivation for me and to keep updated about what happens with your application cycle. My full dilemma is a few threads under you titled "Need deep-rooted advice" if you want to see how similar our situations are.

I'm also considering a post-bacc program or SMP of some sort. So let me know what others tell you is best since you're a year ahead of me.

Again congratulations on the turn-around and keep up the hard work. I can only hope to get my s*** together like you did.

I'm glad my situation could be of help to you, thats exactly why I'm doing it in this thread this way. If you are dead set on MD I'd look into an SMP, otherwise please just retake your poor grades like I'm doing and go DO. you get to be a doctor and not lose years of your life chasing a somewhat unrealistic goal. in the end that's for you to decide, and ill be keeping up with your story as well man! Thanks and good luck.

Do not take any science courses in summer break; it is very hard to do better in them than if you did them in a regular-length semester.

this. I tried to take orgo 1 post-bac after not touching any chemistry in three years. I got slaughtered and withdrew just in time. retook it the following fall semester and got a B+.

Seems like the big difference between allopathic and osteopathic students is that sense of "acceptance" vs. "you're not good enough". Thanks again for the words of wisdom!

I think that's just because you're more likely to see gunners land in allopathic ;)

this. I tried to take orgo 1 post-bac after not touching any chemistry in three years. I got slaughtered and withdrew just in time. retook it the following fall semester and got a B+.

I think that's just because you're more likely to see gunners land in allopathic ;)

hahaha this is true. but gunners or not it just seems like allopathic students are always quick to say you have no shot do something else. I'm not particularly one who likes to hear that so DO students are refreshing lol.

So with each passing semester I like to do a little update on my progress just incase there's anyone out there in a similar position who actually cares. I had a heavy semester with work and everything, but I'm content with how it ended up. Here are the grades:

-Microbiology (Upper Div): A-
-Reproductive Biology (Upper Div): A-
-Orgo 2: B
-Chem Lab 2: A-
-Islam class (Gen Ed req): A
-Science in Society (Gen Ed req): A
-TA credit (not in GPA): A
-Research credit (not in GPA): A

Semester GPA (18 GPA credits): 3.64

Overall D.O. cGPA: 3.36
Overall D.O. sGPA: 3.31

I calculated my GPA wrong last semester so didn't see too much of a gain now that I did it correctly, but it happens. Only plan on going up from here, with biochem next semester and a bunch of fun major classes I have to take. More chances to prove myself.

Clearly I was extremely busy this semester. Continued working 24 hours a week as a CNA in my hospital. Did clinical research for 5 hours a week. As well as volunteering 2 hours a week. All this with school was not fun, but I am proud of the work ethic I showed myself I can have with the right motivation.

I start studying for my MCAT in 3 days as well, ill be taking it in early September. Excited to get going on that. I really, really want to crush that test.

Thanks again for all of the help from those who have been around to offer their invaluable advice. This has almost become like a little journal for myself, so if anyone actually reads it that'll just be a bonus haha. Thanks guys :thumbup:

Congrats on turning around your life. Kick that MCAT's ass and become the best doctor you can be!

get a 24 (in other words: dont bomb) and you should be fine.

congrats on the comeback! Can I ask, what was different? How did you get from being a B C student to A and occasional B student?

Congrats on turning around your life. Kick that MCAT's ass and become the best doctor you can be!

Thank you, I really appreciate that. I start MCAT studying next week and i'm nervous to say the least lol. I've seen too many brilliant people get completely defeated by this test, hoping I can end up one of the lucky ones with some hard work. I don't plan on stopping until I reach my goal. I've followed your story a bit as well, and I truly wish you the best of luck in the future!

congrats on the comeback! Can I ask, what was different? How did you get from being a B C student to A and occasional B student?

Thanks for the comment and the congrats! To be honest, there was a lot different, mostly mentally. In the beginning of college I had this really self-entitled attitude. "Oh, I did absolutely nothing in high school and ended up graduating top 10 with an academic scholarship to a great college, so I'll continue to do nothing and will graduate with a 4.0." Needless to say it didn't work out that way, and the problem is I kept up with this belief that eventually it would just start working for way too long, basically killing my dreams one semester at a time before I woke up and realized I was screwed. I actually can recall my EXACT moment of clarity haha. Some would call me insane for doing the same garbage and expecting different results. Being a division 1 athlete in the beginning didn't help either. I was too caught up in sports and going out and partying, expecting academics to just fall into place. I was humbled quickly, but not quickly enough.

I came back the following semester and realized I had to actually do the work to earn good grades. I studied for a few days prior to each exam instead of studying the day before or the day of. I actually submitted homework and went to classes and paid attention. Did all extra credit (when/if ever available) and sought out help when I needed it. It became a do-or-die mentality day in and day out. "Do you want it? Okay, then go get it." I think with the proper mentality anyone can turn their academic career around, unfortunately for me it just took far too long to get to that point. You live and you learn, and I do believe it was meant to happen this way. I've become a much more humble and hardworking person because of it all, though I do still regret it every single day that I walk this earth.

Sorry for the long, drawn out response, but I just want to explain as well as I can for anyone out there in a similar position. Don't give up, just change. It is possible and it is not as difficult as you might think it is. Just get your real life MENTALITY to match where your dreams are, and you'll be okay. Don't make the same mistakes that I've made and change as soon as you see there's a problem... Thank you again for the comment :thumbup:

Reactions: 3 users
get a 24 (in other words: dont bomb) and you should be fine.

I'm aiming as high as possible, with the hopes that maybe MD could even be somewhat in reach if I can work hard and crush it.

Quick question to anyone with experience or knowledge... if I'm able to raise by MD GPAs to around 3.3, and can manage a decent mcat, is MD possible? what kind of mcat would I need to have a shot?

Last edited:
Quick question to anyone with experience or knowledge... if I'm able to raise by MD GPAs to around 3.3 cGPA/3.1sGPA, and can manage a decent mcat, is MD possible? what kind of mcat would I need to have a shot?

I'll be marking both white and Hispanic URM on the app if that matters. Thanks
What kind of Hispanic and what kind of decent MCAT do you anticipate?

What kind of Hispanic and what kind of decent MCAT do you anticipate?

i'm half URM... and I really have nothing to go off of since I start studying tomorrow. I obviously want to break into mid 30s territory, but so does everyone else haha. Just wondering if even with, say, a 33, is it even worth applying MD with my GPAs?

Last edited:
i'm half Puerto Rican... and I really have nothing to go off of since I start studying tomorrow. I obviously want to break into mid 30s territory, but so does everyone else haha. Just wondering if even with, say, a 33, is it even worth applying MD with my GPAs?
Do you have language skills and evidence of committment to this community? I ask because the 4 Puerto Rican schools have the following MCAT 10 and 90% ranges: Ponce:18-27;
SJB: 19-24, UCC: 19-27, UPR: 22-30. You need to speak Spanish, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm half Puerto Rican... and I really have nothing to go off of since I start studying tomorrow. I obviously want to break into mid 30s territory, but so does everyone else haha. Just wondering if even with, say, a 33, is it even worth applying MD with my GPAs?

If you don't speak Spanish and haven't been involved in that community, your app won't be treated any differently.

If you don't speak Spanish and haven't been involved in that community, your app won't be treated any differently.

I do not speak Spanish unfortunately, so Puerto Rican schools wouldn't be for me.

However, I've volunteered in the community.

Last edited:
not to be that guy, but anyone with advice on the matter?

Acing all midterms so far this semester. got a 94 on biochem midterm, class average was a 52. ill take it lol.

Hope I can keep up the 4.0 I have going! my GPA could really use a solid semester like this. Hope everyone else is doing well this semester so far as well!

So as this semester has finally ended, I'd like to do my usual little journal update here. this has become helpful for me to keep track of where I've been and where I'm going, and hopefully it will further help anyone in a similar position to myself. just started studying for my MCAT as well, ill be taking the beast March 22 and applying this June!! wow that's scary to say. lets hope for a solid score, as many are telling me even low tier MD may be possible if I'm able to crush it.

Heres how my Fall semester ended up. only really took one science course as I'm finishing up my major requirements, but I was decently pleased with the turn out. two more science courses next semester with major classes and ill be all set to graduate! time to start getting my application stuff together.

-5 non-science Major Courses (3 credits each): A, A, A-, A-, B
-Biochemistry + Lab (4 credits): A
-Semester GPA: 3.75

Ecstatic about biochem. I worked so hard for that grade and really hope it shows some maturity as well as an ability to handle a course directly related to medical school. I really am upset about that B in this other stupid class. I felt I earned much better but no curve left the class average at a C. dumb, but no choice but to move forward.

-My overall GPAs right now are as follows:

DO cGPA: 3.40
DO sGPA: 3.34

MD cGPA: 3.24
MD sGPA: 3.00

Going to do my absolute best in this final semester, then it'll be up to destiny from there. Staying realistic, but lets hope for the best! Hope everyone's semester and holiday season went well, and if I can help anyone in anyway, let me know! Good luck to all.

Last edited:
Good job, keep up the good work!