Do alumni hold any sway whatsoever in admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryhavoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was at a convention today presenting research (not mine, I was a representative for the lab I work with, as I explained).

I got to talking about the subject with some older lady for maybe 15 minutes, and she asked where I wanted to go to medical school. I said my top choice school name, but then I said, "But I don't think I'm going to bother applying, my MCAT was too low for that school."

She took down my name and said she would put in a good word, as she went there, and told me to apply anyway.

I'm confused. It isn't like she can write me a letter of recommendation based off of one conversation. Plus, if anything, I would think random alumni calling in would hurt an applicant more than it would help, wouldn't it?

This one random doctor couldn't hold any sway, could she?

Members don't see this ad.

Very unlikely. Was her name Geffen, Gates, Icahn?
No, I thought not. Does anyone know if this could hurt me, though? I was wondering some random doctor who used to go there calling in would reek of nepotism and hurt my application.

Almost made me wish I gave a fake name.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I thought not. Does anyone know if this could hurt me, though? I was wondering some random doctor who used to go there calling in would reek of nepotism and hurt my application.

Most likely the recommendation will be ignored. It won't hurt you. The chances it'll help you are very slim, but every school is different.

Reactions: 1 users

How is it nepotism? You weren't related to the lady. But no it will not hurt you. Stop stressing.

Nope.

In situations where the interested party has any sway, like, one of our students trying to help a sibling, we may give the person an interview out of courtesy, and then low wait list the candidate.

The Dean will then tell the recommender that the candidate was too weak.

So I was at a convention today presenting research (not mine, I was a representative for the lab I work with, as I explained).

I got to talking about the subject with some older lady for maybe 15 minutes, and she asked where I wanted to go to medical school. I said my top choice school name, but then I said, "But I don't think I'm going to bother applying, my MCAT was too low for that school."

She took down my name and said she would put in a good word, as she went there, and told me to apply anyway.

I'm confused. It isn't like she can write me a letter of recommendation based off of one conversation. Plus, if anything, I would think random alumni calling in would hurt an applicant more than it would help, wouldn't it?

This one random doctor couldn't hold any sway, could she?