DO and Ophthalmology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Docsted

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do Ophthalmology as a DO physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is possible. There are DO ophthalmology residency programs and DO Physicians also apply and match to allopathic residency programs. The difficulty is that you have a much smaller pool of available residencies to choose from. Ophtho is already a very competitive field. This year there were approx 430 available allopathic spots and the match rate for US Seniors was about 75% or so. There are about 110 or so allopathic residencies in the country, but you will not be looked at by 2/3 of them because you are DO. That said, I personally went on 15 interviews at a range of programs and a few lower tier programs had DO physicians on staff.

You will need exceptional grades, have to take both the comlex and the step exams and score very well, and research is a big plus. Its not impossible, but certainly its an uphill battle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I am a DO and an ophthalmologist.

If you are in California, you can meet many of my colleagues who will be meeting for our 96th Annual Clinical Assembly in Indian Wells, CA from May 9-13.

Or check out aocoohns.org for some information.

You guys have been incredibly helpful. Thank you so much! Its my passion in life, I hope I can get there someday. I look up to you guys big time.

OpthoBean,

Where did you do your residency?

thanks
-sc

I trained in Detroit at MSU-COM Detroit Osteopathic Ophthalmology Consortium (POH/St. John).

You can, but you shouldn't since the DO programs are inferior in all the ways that count.

Reactions: 1 user