DO and prestigious north east fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wardles888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
Im in a DO school in the north east and I did not take the usmle because I felt that most psychiatry residencies were complex accepting except for ivies who do not take DOs period. I have heard that they take DOs for fellowships sometimes and I would love that opportunity if possible. I was wondering if my lack of usmle would take me out of the running for a fellowship at a place like Columbia, Yale, nyu, etc. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys
Im in a DO school in the north east and I did not take the usmle because I felt that most psychiatry residencies were complex accepting except for ivies who do not take DOs period. I have heard that they take DOs for fellowships sometimes and I would love that opportunity if possible. I was wondering if my lack of usmle would take me out of the running for a fellowship at a place like Columbia, Yale, nyu, etc. thanks!

Ivy programs gladly take qualified DO candidates, Harvard and Yale come to mind. Second, its the comlex, not complex. I would like to give you the benefit of doubt, but with a one post history and given the content of the post I suspect a troll.

To answer your question, (in the present moment) for an applicant seeking to do an ACGME fellowship it is more convenient to do an ACGME accredited residency rather than an AOA one. This will be less an issue in 2017 or so when the planned AOA-ACGME merger occurs, and all post graduate training for US-trained physicians MD/DO will be overseen by the ACGME alone.

Last edited:
Ivy programs gladly take qualified DO candidates, Harvard and Yale come to mind. Second, its the comlex, not complex. I would like to give you the benefit of doubt, but with a one post history and given the content of the post I suspect a troll.
What is this? It's easy to misspell comlex, especially if you're on a device that autocorrects. Why would you think this is a troll? It doesn't even make sense. This is a rather simple question that shouldn't get people all riled up.

I'm glad you edited in that second paragraph because I don't know why some are so quick to call troll when am actual answer is just as easy to give.

Members don't see this ad :)
Autocorrect changed comlex to complex and I didn't notice. I plan on doing an acgme residency; many acgme residencies take comlex without usmle. I'm just wondering if it will be a problem for me later down the line. I heard Columbia and nyu don't take DOs for residency period, regardless of whether they took the usmle but they do take them for fellowships.

I don’t think fellowships pay a lot of attention to USMLE scores or Comlex for that matter. By the end of adult psych training, you have been licensed for a few years and it is much more about where did you do your training and how you did. USMLEs and Comlex reflect the quality of medical school education for the most part. After four years of psychiatry residency, the quality of your undergraduate medical education is about as relevant as where you went to high school when applying to medical school. They ask for scores and they look at them sure, but if you have really high scores and then screwed up, they will not help, and if you did so so on scores and really rocked your training, no one will care about scores.