DO applicant success

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dowell1840

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was wondering of anyone could give me some feedback. Ive been very strongly considering applying to a DO program. My science gpa (if I calculated right, im pretty sure I did) is around a 3.6ish but my other and overall is lower. Which gpa do they place more weight on generally; or is everything considered the same? Also, I have some Doctors lined up to shadow, willhave alot of volunteer experience, no professional experience sadly, and have a strong extracurricular background. Im mainly concerned with my other and overall gpas since they are around 3.2 almost 3.3 . I have not taken the MCAt because I wont be applying to a program for probably 1-2 years but I want to be prepared and strengthen my application with whatever I need. I know you can go back and take classes. If I have to I will but the classes I did horribly in are not science related at all, so I dont know if its worth it.

Any help or feedback appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for my Science GPA I meant to write 3.3ish. I was typing on my phone so I didnt realize it until now!

A 3.2 or 3.3 is not a bad GPA at all and with a good MCAT score you should be competitive at DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I juat didn't know how much consideration they gave to each gpa or if all were kind of looked at the same. I mean my science and nonscience aren't vastly different, just maybe .1 something percent

GPAs are competitive. Score in the high 20s on MCAT and you're fine anywhere.

Hello! I was wondering of anyone could give me some feedback. Ive been very strongly considering applying to a DO program. My science gpa (if I calculated right, im pretty sure I did) is around a 3.6ish but my other and overall is lower. Which gpa do they place more weight on generally; or is everything considered the same? Also, I have some Doctors lined up to shadow, willhave alot of volunteer experience, no professional experience sadly, and have a strong extracurricular background. Im mainly concerned with my other and overall gpas since they are around 3.2 almost 3.3 . I have not taken the MCAt because I wont be applying to a program for probably 1-2 years but I want to be prepared and strengthen my application with whatever I need. I know you can go back and take classes. If I have to I will but the classes I did horribly in are not science related at all, so I dont know if its worth it.

Any help or feedback appreciated! Thanks!