do asexuals have any representation in medical school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you read them before you copy-paste all those links?

1. There are conflicting studies regarding asexuality discrimination. Also, I am not sure I can trust this journal.
2. I see this as a simple disgusting rape case

. And, of course from LGBT perspective, asexuality does not matter, and its a distraction for LGBT to achieve its goal
3. I don't see this forum very convincing.
4. 'Basically, if an asexual does face discrimination because of his or her orientation, it is most often because there is a false assumption that an asexual is a gay or lesbian' <-- This is the only valid (weak) argument I can see how they are discriminated. They are discriminated because of their homosexual appearances. If an asexual male have romantic relationship with an asexual female, they wont be discriminated.

I never said that discrimination against asexuals was a thing. You asked for information, and I provided a bunch of links that have much more to say on the subject than I could. I've admitted my awareness of this issue is very low.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like the OP trolled you all! I knew it and wanted to prevent this thread from heading there, but ah well.
Regardless, the value of the discussion is clear. It's not as if the OP generated a flame war. Good thing you failed to prevent discourse.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes he did. Otherwise he wouldn't get banned. His intent was clear and his goal was achieved.
You've been on SDN for less than a month. You don't know what an sdn flame war is.

Reactions: 1 users
Damn you got me. Looks like lurking doesn't mean anything much, does it? :angelic:
Not if you've never really seen an sdn flame war because this sure as heck wasn't one. Whatever. Who cares?

Looks like the OP trolled you all! I knew it and wanted to prevent this thread from heading there, but ah well.
All hail the high and mighty Lawper! He was smarter than all of us, called the troll from a mile away. He didn't contribute to the actual discussion that ended up springing from the thread, but damned if he didn't make sure to stop in and gloat, contributing nothing. He is an example we should all strive to imitate.

All hail the high and mighty Lawper! He was smarter than all of us, called the troll from a mile away. He didn't contribute to the actual discussion that ended up springing from the thread, but damned if he didn't make sure to stop in and gloat, contributing nothing. He is an example we should all strive to imitate.

But... but... I did contribute (see in the first page).

Now, I'm being controlled by women so I have to escape now. :zombie:

But... but... I did contribute (see in the first page).

Now, I'm being controlled by women so I have to escape now. :zombie:
You're right, sorry, missed that.

Not that it in any way makes your gloating condescension less annoying, btw.

You're right, sorry, missed that.

Not that it in any way makes your gloating condescension less annoying, btw.

Considering everyone here is already rehashing what was stated, there's nothing else to be added. Such debates also are prone to flaming, controversy, and random crap. That's all I'm saying and I know this will happen as I said in the first page.

Considering everyone here is already rehashing what was stated, there's nothing else to be added. Such debates also are prone to flaming, controversy, and random crap. That's all I'm saying and I know this will happen as I said in the first page.
Which is a completely useless post and serves only to pat yourself on the back. So, congrats. Consider your back thoroughly patted. Here's a cookie. We are all very proud.

I wonder how the bolded would work. Homosexual individuals won't be passing on their genes. I can understand kin selection working for traits like altruism where the individuals might die, but all members would have the altruistic traits so as a whole altruistic populations would have higher fitness. The difference with homosexuality is if everyone is naturally homosexual, no genes pass on at all and if only some are homosexual, those with the homosexual nature will not pass on their genes, so even if there is an advantage, it won't be passed on.

Maybe it is some combination of recessive alleles that occasionally produces homosexual individuals or maybe it has to do with the idea that we all (except for asexuals and those who are attracted to non humans) fall somewhere on an axis between 100% homosexual and 100% heterosexual and having this variance could occasionally lead to homosexual individuals which would allow for such a benefit as you describe, but I don't know how likely that would be.

Oh, we will pass on our genes just to spite you, sir.

Reactions: 4 users
I must say I am struck at how harsh and dismissive you are being in this thread.
Sorry, this last bit here is because I always have and always will despise the 'troll-hunting' mentality. I react similarly in pretty much every thread where someone comes in to call troll or post something about how brilliant they were for recognizing it.

The first bit...I don't know why this topic bugs me. I guess that, even in cases where there is indisputable, widespread, public discrimination, I often feel that the support response is aggressive to the point of actively unhelping their target group. It's just going to happen, as people try everything and occasionally step too far in a few directions. For the most part it works out, and I stay out of it. In this case, where I don't see the evidence for that widespread discrimination, and where I actually feel like my perspective matters, I just don't see the point, and it frustrates me.

A few things:

My bet would be that asexuals have very little representation in medical schools as I believe their incidence in the general population is pretty low.

I think asexuals fit within the LGBTQAlphabetsoup as they exist outside of the traditional heterosexual paradigm. However, they face the dual problem of being treated as not a "real" orientation both in and outside of the community :(

I also dislike the troll hunting business. I think that even though the OP probably wasn't asking a legitimate question, it was still something others may wonder about and everyone seemed to learn something so there is no point in shutting down the discussion

Reactions: 2 users
As an asexual aromantic, I have not used or talked at all aboutmy orientation in the amcas application or essay or secondaries. I dont think personally we feel discrimination in society like the lgbtq's do, because we are essentially invisible.
However, on a personal psychological front, this was the biggest mountain for me to climb. I had to undergo thousands of dollars worth( i assume because did not pay for it) on counseling, hormone tests to check for problems, sperm motility(?) tests and every reproductive related thing you can imagine (and yes everything is supposedly normal). Being left out both physically and mentally out of your social circle and never finding common ground with any gender sort of put me into an isolated bubble. Although I used it to do better in every other thing in my life, it destroys many others.
We need awarness on asexuality especially with family practicioners (mine eventually started asking me if I think my plumbing works ok, instead of whether my sex life is normal during physicals :joyful:), who can then better accomodate people like me when we hit puberty and even into our 20s and 30s, until we are confident in ourselves to give the finger to society and its expectations and start living our independent lives to the fullest extent possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users