DO chances, 3.36 cGPA, 3.52 sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladybug1552

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm applying to DO schools this June and wondering what my chances are. I'll be graduating next term with a degree in biology and minors in French and chemistry. I currently have a 3.36 cumulative (DO GPA with retaken classes only counted), 3.52 science GPA, 3.1 non-science GPA. I've been getting 30's on the practice MCAT exams and will be taking it in June and am shooting for a 31-32.

Shadowing:
I've been shadowing a family practice DO since September and will have 80 hours by the time I apply.
Shadowed a surgeon for 10 hours

Volunteering:
Volunteered as a mentor to middle school girls interested in science for 3 years (3 hrs/wk)
Volunteered as a conversation table leader for international students for 3 years (3 hrs/wk)
Volunteered as a science mentor to middle school students at the local DO school for 1 year (1 hr/wk)

Job:
Worked at a restaurant the first two years of college (10 hrs/wk)
Working as a red cross instructor/emergency aid at university sporting events for the past year (10 hrs/wk)

Other EC's/random stuff:
Heavily involved in my science sorority for 3 years, held officer position for 1 year
Studied abroad for a term
Work out almost daily
Was intramural team manager freshman year

I'm mostly worried about my low non-science GPA (3.1), lower cumulative GPA (3.36) and lack of volunteer clinical experience. Would it be worth it for me to volunteer at a clinic this summer (it'd be too late to list it on my application but at least I could mention it in an interview)? Any other obvious holes in my application? Do you think I'll have to apply broadly to get interviews?

I appreciate any help :)

Members don't see this ad.

I say about 26+ should get you in somewhere. Lack of clinical volunteering is bad, but at least you have other volunteering and 80 hours of shadowing to make up for it.