DO/COMLEX Only/So Cal Target Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kwah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Docs and to-be docs,

I am looking for some advice on my chances of matching a Southern California Internal Medicine allopathic residency program. I'd also like to get a feel for which programs I should be targeting realistically. I scored a 542 on my COMLEX Level 1, and did not take Step 1. I am on the top half of my class at a middle-tiered West Coast DO School and have passed my PE and have gotten Passes on all my rotations from 3rd year including Honors in 2 months of Family Medicine and 2 months of Internal Medicine.

I know without a USMLE score, it is impossible to get into most of the "Research Programs" (UCLA, UCSD, UCI, Harbor-UCLA, and I hear even USC is going more towards MD graduates). What about Loma Linda, UCSF-Fresno, UCR, Scripts, Kaiser Fontana, St. Mary's Long Beach? Think I'll have a shot at any of these? And I'd appreciate if anyone could also comment on the quality of those programs as well. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Docs and to-be docs,

I am looking for some advice on my chances of matching a Southern California Internal Medicine allopathic residency program. I'd also like to get a feel for which programs I should be targeting realistically. I scored a 542 on my COMLEX Level 1, and did not take Step 1. I am on the top half of my class at a middle-tiered West Coast DO School and have passed my PE and have gotten Passes on all my rotations from 3rd year including Honors in 2 months of Family Medicine and 2 months of Internal Medicine.

I know without a USMLE score, it is impossible to get into most of the "Research Programs" (UCLA, UCSD, UCI, Harbor-UCLA, and I hear even USC is going more towards MD graduates). What about Loma Linda, UCSF-Fresno, UCR, Scripts, Kaiser Fontana, St. Mary's Long Beach? Think I'll have a shot at any of these? And I'd appreciate if anyone could also comment on the quality of those programs as well. Thanks!

Firstly, this isn't really the correct subforum for this question. You probably would've been better suited posting this question in the 'Osteopathic' forum or the general IM forum.

I will attempt to answer your question though.

You are right that without a USMLE score you are not going to get considered from a lot of places in Southern California. UCLA, UCSD, and Scripps Green are out of question for DO's in general regardless of USMLE score. You are going to need a USMLE score (and a competitive one at that) to be considered at UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-Olive View, UCI, Kaiser LA, Cedars-Sinai, and USC.

Given your circumstances, unless you are planning to take the USMLE, I would aim at the following remaining SoCal IM programs (in order of increasing likelihood of considering COMLEX only candidates): Loma Linda, UCR, Scripps Mercy, Kaiser Fontana, St. Mary's Long Beach, Santa Barbara Cottage, Huntington Memorial, White Memorial, Eisenhower, Kern, Arrowhead. UCSF-Fresno would fall into this category as well but it's not technically in Southern California.

Just for further advice if I may, if I were in your situation I would definitely apply to programs outside of California, aiming at applying to ~50 programs on the ACGME side of things since the majority of programs will want to see a USMLE score.

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.