Do concentrations within major matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CornellMan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a biology major at my school, and my school does this thing where there are concentrations within the major (cell&molecular bio, biochem, entomology, animal physiology, neurobio, microbio, general bio). Right now I am just signed up as "general biology." Seeing as though the pre-med community is already saturated with biology majors, would choosing a concentration make me stand out more as an applicant. The only thing holding me back is that there might be some difficult, albeit interesting, courses in some of the concentrations. I am confident that I would get a higher GPA with less work if I stay in general bio. Any advice? Also, unrelated but I was just curious if being a bio major would work AGAINST me in the admissions process. I've read different opinions on whether your major actually matters or not to adcoms. For what it's worth, I greatly enjoy biology and would rather not change to something else that would make me more unique.

Members don't see this ad.

Your major doesn't matter, so a concentration would matter even less.

An interesting or unique major or minor could be a talking point in interviews, but biology or a concentration under biology is dime a dozen among premeds.

Reactions: 3 users
Your major doesn't matter. I wouldn't choose a concentration just to try and "stand out", either. Continue with Biology if that is what interests you and you like. Do not switch to something just to stand out and "improve your chances". Tons of people major in Biology, and some Biology majors get in, some don't. That's reality and your major really doesn't matter.