Do dental schools care what degree you have (studio artist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc art

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a BFA illustration major that has been shadowing the family cosmetic dentist and want Togo into the field.
I'm planning to try and get into SFSU pre dental program and was wondering if this the best investment without a biology undergrad (gpa 3.5)

Will colleges like UOW, San Francisco, USC, or Tuft be discouraged by my undergrad degree?
I was thinking of calling and asking but I would appreciate a response from members of the forum too.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any science background at all?

If not, then your gonna need to at least take some pre-reqs.

Will schools be discouraged about it. I don't think they'll care given if your pre-reqs are good. They may ask about it.

The other thing you may have to worry about. If it comes down to a candidate with a 3.5 in bio vs your 3.5 in studio art more than likely the bio student will beat you out for a spot.

I know my school doesn't care about your degree background, but they do care about the rigor of your courses. A 3.5 in education and a 3.5 in chemical engineering are not exactly the same.

Go take your pre-reqs and see how you do. If you do well, then rock the DAT and apply.

Just play up the art angle as something that would help you manuel dexterity and visual skills.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I will :)