Do dental schools curve grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaFleur

All flavor. No bite.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether there are any dental schools that grade their students on a curve, and if so, which ones they are.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering whether there are any dental schools that grade their students on a curve, and if so, which ones they are.

Thanks so much!

Depends on the professor I believe. For example only one teacher actually gave us points back for questions that more than half the class got wrong. But most teachers do give points back if a legitimate argument can be made for a question.

At NYU, it's usually handled by an item analysis, where a question is considered if a disproportionate number of students got it wrong. Occasionally a curve is done at the end of the course, but it's never advertised. Ultimately it depends on the professor.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks so much!

it typically doesn't matter, because, at most schools, you are ranked against your classmates anyway

Depends on the professor I believe. For example only one teacher actually gave us points back for questions that more than half the class got wrong. But most teachers do give points back if a legitimate argument can be made for a question.

Is this what people consider a curve? I would consider this a scale.. where everyone gets bumped up a few points...

Isn't a "curve" a standard deviation? Ie. adjusting the grades to produce an even distribution over a binomial distribution table? That would require something much more complex than adding a few points to everyone's test.

Is this what people consider a curve? I would consider this a scale.. where everyone gets bumped up a few points...

Isn't a "curve" a standard deviation? Ie. adjusting the grades to produce an even distribution over a binomial distribution table? That would require something much more complex than adding a few points to everyone's test.

At my school, I have never heard of that way..

We either have a curved grading scale (as in instead of 90-100 being an A it will be like 88-100 or something) or we are added a curve on some tests to boost the average (like add 4 points to everyones test)

Grading on a "curve" has become a general term for modifying the grade of a class based on class performance. Your correct that the original term is most likely using the bell curve, but it has since become inclusive from my understanding. I could be wrong though. :thumbup:

This is what I was wondering about. I've had it happen in a couple of my undergrad classes, so I was wondering whether it happens in dental school too.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

You're right. It isn't a curve but everyone calls it a curve. Curves should probably never happen especially in dental school; i.e someone could get a low A and because of the curve end up with a B in the course. That is not fair.

someone could get a low A and because of the curve end up with a B in the course. That is not fair.

This is exactly what I'm talking about/what has happened to me in the past.

So the consensus is that it depends on the professor and that in dental school you're ranked against your classmates anyway, so in the end it doesn't really matter because you are going to be stacked against everyone else anyway (top 10% of class, top 25% of class, etc)?

Thanks for the replies, y'all! I really appreciate it!

This is exactly what I'm talking about/what has happened to me in the past.

So the consensus is that it depends on the professor and that in dental school you're ranked against your classmates anyway, so in the end it doesn't really matter because you are going to be stacked against everyone else anyway (top 10% of class, top 25% of class, etc)?

Thanks for the replies, y'all! I really appreciate it!

This lower of marks and putting students on a curve has never happened to us at my dental school.

If they are going to adjust our grades, they will raise our grades. Say the class average is an 85, they may add 2 or 3% to everyone's grades. I don't think they've EVER lowered our marks on tests, but I'd say about 1/5 of the tests they will give us an additional few points. And then another 1/3 of the tests we have we'll have some kind of bonus question(s) that will also add a few points to everyone's tests..

Sometimes if on the midterm everyone did well on, then the odd faculty will say they are making the final a bit harder (this may happen 1/10 - 1/15 tests). Sometimes we guess that faculty do this, but we can't be certain. I suppose that is a way to bring everyone's grades down...