DO dermatology process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doremee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year in an osteopathic program. There's a lot of info out there for MD students about how to get into an MD dermatology residency - the timeline, general reqs, where to rotate, general advice, etc. I can't seem to find anything similar about the DO dermatology pathway, and my classmates are being super secretive about their interest in derm and aren't sharing anything...

What resources are out there? The whole process just seems so confusing and nerve-wracking. I can't even figure out if the application / interview process for derm residency happens at the same time as for internship (during 4th year, like the MD way), or whether some/all ? DO derm residencies interview during internship?

Also, some comments here suggest that DO derm programs accept applicants outside of the match, and that some might even have their slots "reserved" several years in advance?!

Appreciate any info and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you truly love dermatology then nurse > NP > derm residency would have been your easiest path.

But, if you're like 99% of dermatologists out there and you just love money and a good lifestyle then your best bet is to look at the ACGME website (https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/Report/18) and see which former AOA programs are going to merge/have gotten pre-accreditation (So far there's 2 programs). The ACGME programs currently are closed off to DO applicants.

Next, you will need to rotate and make the attendings/residents love you. It's all about the "fit." Otherwise, most people I know who ended up in derm did a 1 year "research year" after medical school. As far as I know, there are a few of these "research years" floating around out there that people have done and then been successful in getting derm. Oh and shoot for 700+ / 250+ on your boards. Also, being physically attractive seems to help and even more so if you're female.

Unfortunately, dermatology is going to be almost impossible for DOs to match with the merger.

Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
For DO derm, I've heard there are multiple ways of getting into dermatology.

The most common route is to apply for a TRI at a program that also has a dermatology residency. You apply for the dermatology residency during intern year. These programs tend to take applicants from in-house. There is a lot of risk involved because there are usually more TRI spots than derm spots.

I've also heard of dermatology residencies that would prefer graduates of family medicine residencies. If you search SDN, you will find a post about this.

In the DO world, you definitely need to do audition rotations and make strong connections with programs and influential people. This is how people get "pre-matches" or reserved slots for the future.

Members don't see this ad :)

The most common route is to apply for a TRI at a program that also has a dermatology residency. You apply for the dermatology residency during intern year. These programs tend to take applicants from in-house. There is a lot of risk involved because there are usually more TRI spots than derm spots.

I've also heard of dermatology residencies that would prefer graduates of family medicine residencies. If you search SDN, you will find a post about this.

In the DO world, you definitely need to do audition rotations and make strong connections with programs and influential people. This is how people get "pre-matches" or reserved slots for the future.

It blows my mind people go through this much crap for the most boring specialty in medicine.

Reactions: 11 users

Not exactly from what I have read. There were one or two programs who had applicants that wanted to match into their derm program, but had very few who wanted to do the family medicine program of the same hospital . So these programs would tell them to do the family medicine program first before doing their derm program. Really appalling...

Well anyway, audition rotations seem to be key for the competitive AOA residencies. Main thing is to go to a school which allow for a high amount of audition rotations.

Not exactly from what I have read. There were one or two programs who had applicants that wanted to match into their derm program, but had very few who wanted to do the family medicine program of the same hospital . So these programs would tell them to do the family medicine program first before doing their derm program. Really appalling...

Well anyway, audition rotations seem to be key for the competitive AOA residencies. Main thing is to go to a school which allow for a high amount of audition rotations.

Yes, you are right. Away auditions are key to matching DO derm.... and high board scores... and research... and looks. In no particular order.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok I'm an osteopathic derm resident and it seems that there is some misinformation/ confusion about the process. You must do a TRI (traditional rotating internship) before you can do any do derm residency. You must apply through ERAS to TRI as a 4th year med student and then again through ERAS during your TRI to derm. A couple of programs, maybe 2/31 derm residencies required a family medicine residency before allowing you to do their derm residency. This practice is being phased out for the most part and I would not really worry about it. Yes, boards, research, and audition rotations are imp0rtant like any specialty. Some ppl will do a year of research, but I'd say most do research during med school. Derm does not really do the early match or whatever you call it, where ppl know where they are going before match day. It may occur, but to a much lower degree than some other specialties. Some programs do prefer their own TRI residents for their derm spots, but its not as important as the other factors previously mentioned and it is certainly not a guarantee that you will get into that program. As far as the attractiveness level, I'm not a woman, but I think you are right on the mark there! ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Ok I'm an osteopathic derm resident and it seems that there is some misinformation/ confusion about the process. You must do a TRI (traditional rotating internship) before you can do any do derm residency. You must apply through ERAS to TRI as a 4th year med student and then again through ERAS during your TRI to derm. A couple of programs, maybe 2/31 derm residencies required a family medicine residency before allowing you to do their derm residency. This practice is being phased out for the most part and I would not really worry about it. Yes, boards, research, and audition rotations are imp0rtant like any specialty. Some ppl will do a year of research, but I'd say most do research during med school. Derm does not really do the early match or whatever you call it, where ppl know where they are going before match day. It may occur, but to a much lower degree than some other specialties. Some programs do prefer their own TRI residents for their derm spots, but its not as important as the other factors previously mentioned and it is certainly not a guarantee that you will get into that program. As far as the attractiveness level, I'm not a woman, but I think you are right on the mark there! ;)

Just out of curiosity, is there talk of which programs are even going to exist? There are only 2 DO derm programs listed on the pre-accreditation website and they'd need to declare/submit this year to meet the 2020 deadline. As far as I know/remember, MD/ACGME derm programs will probably at most take 1-2 DO students a year. This seems to me to mean that new derm DOs will become unicorns. No?

I have been following some other merger specialties and have seen only 3/9 neurosurgery programs listed (I believe 2 programs merged with existing ACGME programs though) and similar percentages for ENT, Ortho, and Urology. It appears that unless I'm missing something that all of these sub-specialties are losing > 50% of their original spots. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks so much for the feedback. It really helps a lot!

As far as internship, is a TRI year the only option for derm-bound residents? I think on the MD side they also have prelim internal medicine (and, to some extent, prelim peds and prelim surgery). The reason I ask is in the event that derm never works out (even with extra research years, etc), would the TRI count towards one of the primary care residencies? Or would I have to start over with the new interns if I was to switch into, for example, internal medicine?

Thanks again!

I can't pretend to know the future, but I do not think the majority of do derm programs will have much trouble being accepted into the MD accreditation. I believe most are in the process of applying now. I do not think derm DOs will become unicorns in the future, as even if these programs start accepting MDs they will still probably prefer DOs, just as MD programs prefer MDs, but who knows?? Yes the only path to a do derm spot is the TRI. It is somewhat of a gamble because if you do not match derm and want to apply to something else some programs may accept your TRI year for credit while others won't.

If you truly love dermatology then nurse > NP > derm residency would have been your easiest path.

But, if you're like 99% of dermatologists out there and you just love money and a good lifestyle then your best bet is to look at the ACGME website (ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)) and see which former AOA programs are going to merge/have gotten pre-accreditation (So far there's 2 programs). The ACGME programs currently are closed off to DO applicants.

Next, you will need to rotate and make the attendings/residents love you. It's all about the "fit." Otherwise, most people I know who ended up in derm did a 1 year "research year" after medical school. As far as I know, there are a few of these "research years" floating around out there that people have done and then been successful in getting derm. Oh and shoot for 700+ / 250+ on your boards. Also, being physically attractive seems to help and even more so if you're female.

Unfortunately, dermatology is going to be almost impossible for DOs to match with the merger.

Good luck.
I know someone who just matched MD dermatology program( she is a DO) yesterday. It can be done!

But, if you're like 99% of dermatologists out there and you just love money and a good lifestyle then your best bet is to look at the ACGME website (ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)) and see which former AOA programs are going to merge/have gotten pre-accreditation (So far there's 2 programs). The ACGME programs currently are closed off to DO applicants.

Good luck.

TCOM had 2 people match ACGME Derm yesterday too!

EDIT: turns out, they both matched to our new ACGME home program

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
TCOM had 2 people match ACGME Derm yesterday too!
That's great! It's not impossible. This person didn't even have stellar step one scores. But did excellent in everything else and did away rotations, planning dermatology from day one.

That's great! It's not impossible. This person didn't even have stellar step one scores. But did excellent in everything else and did away rotations, planning dermatology from day one.

Did she match at her away?