Do doctors wear makeup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never see them do... If anything, just foundation. Is it looked down upon?

Members don't see this ad.

What? Did this really deserve its own thread?

I know some that do, some that don't.

Why does it matter?

Reactions: 13 users
What? Did this really deserve its own thread?

I know some that do, some that don't.

Why does it matter?
Por que no?

Because I loveeee makeup and never see a doctor wearing it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Because I loveeee makeup and never see a doctor wearing it.
It's like you don't even try to not be irritating.

N=1. I volunteer in a CITY hospital (aka where no one has any money) and I see doctors, nurses, PAs, PCTs, etc. wear make up. Do all of them? No. I think I've even seen one or two surgery residents wearing make up. Full mascara? Of course not. But not just foundation. Lipstick and some eyeliner was present.

Just do what you want.

It's like you don't even try to not be irritating.

N=1. I volunteer in a CITY hospital (aka where no one has any money) and I see doctors, nurses, PAs, PCTs, etc. wear make up. Do all of them? No. I think I've even seen one or two surgery residents wearing make up. Full mascara? Of course not. But not just foundation. Lipstick and some eyeliner was present.

Just do what you want.

What do you mean by "full mascara"? I'd say mascara is the least high maintenance make up to wear and foundation is almost always going overboard. It's like you have make up hierarchy backwards. :laugh:

Reactions: 27 users
Ortho resident. Sephora if my f******favorite store. Full makeup everyday. Falsies sometimes too.

Reactions: 15 users
Ortho resident. Sephora if my f******favorite store. Full makeup everyday. Falsies sometimes too.

Went to sephora once, girl bought a pencil that cost more than my weekly groceries

i got like 5 pencils at home baby, old school ticonderogas

Reactions: 30 users

One twelve pack of these lasted me all the way through college.

As to the OP, some doctors wear makeup, others don't. The only thing you absolutely cannot do at many hospitals is fake nails of any sort. Painted nails are also kind of iffy, with some places allowing them only under the condition that the paint is not chipped in the slightest, as chips and cracks can be breeding grounds for bacteria.

Reactions: 6 users
What do you mean by "full mascara"? I'd say mascara is the least high maintenance make up to wear and foundation is almost always going overboard. It's like you have make up hierarchy backwards. :laugh:

While there may be some truth to what you are saying, the perception is not necessarily corollary. Nobody cares about the maintenance; he was referring to the more noticeable form of makeup which people are going to double take at. I would imagine most female doctors wear some form of foundation and/or mascara on a regular basis, however.

Last edited:
While there may be some truth to what you are saying, the perception is not necessarily corollary. Nobody cares about the maintenance; he was referring to the more noticeable form of makeup which people are going to double take at. I would imagine most female doctors wear some form of foundation and/or mascara on a regular basis, however.

I'm not talking about the perception, I'm talking about the reality of wearing makeup. "Nobody cares about the maintenance"? The women who are wearing the makeup care very much about the maintenance. They have to physically apply it to their faces every day (or not). I don't know why people who don't wear makeup at all are weighing in here. It's not like you have any clue.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not talking about the perception, I'm talking about the reality of wearing makeup. "Nobody cares about the maintenance"? The women who are wearing the makeup care very much about the maintenance.

They may care about maintenance, but nobody is asking about it ITT.

She asked if it is looked down upon, so yes, this thread is about perception and only perception.

I don't know why people who don't wear makeup at all are weighing in here. It's not like you have any clue.

Are you so choleric and excitable when someone disagrees with you? Im sorry you lack the ability to respond to the pertinent information of the OPs 14 word question.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I only wear make up when I'm dressed as Dr. Chiffon Beauty

I'm not talking about the perception, I'm talking about the reality of wearing makeup. "Nobody cares about the maintenance"? The women who are wearing the makeup care very much about the maintenance. They have to physically apply it to their faces every day (or not). I don't know why people who don't wear makeup at all are weighing in here. It's not like you have any clue.

I've seen men with makeup on

this made me smile.

Love Sephora too; makeup will remain a part of my life

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, I feel like once we (girls) get past a certain point, showing up to professional school/work bare-faced with no makeup on borders on unprofessional. At least put on some BB cream to smooth out your face and look put together. Don't glam out (that's unprofessional too), but don't show up looking like you just crawled out of bed and didn't bother to look put together. Basically, do your face like you would if you were going on an interview. Most girls I saw on interviews had light makeup on (BB cream/light foundation, light colored lipstick, eyeliner and natural eyeshadow with a tint of blush).

I would wager most people who don't look closely wouldn't notice they're wearing makeup, but they don't look like they just rolled out of bed.

^ I think it's really unfair to say that not wearing makeup is unprofessional. Men don't have to wear makeup, so why do we have to?

They may care about maintenance, but nobody is asking about it ITT.

She asked if it is looked down upon, so yes, this thread is about perception and only perception.

Wow. She asked if doctors wear make up (because she loves to wear it) and if it's looked down up. I disagree that this thread is only about perception and you're being ridiculous if you think threads on SDN always stick to discussing things according to the exact wording of the OP.

Are you so choleric and excitable when someone disagrees with you? Im sorry you lack the ability to respond to the pertinent information of the OPs 14 word question.

What is your problem?

Reactions: 5 users
^ I think it's really unfair to say that not wearing makeup is unprofessional. Men don't have to wear makeup, so why do we have to?

Idk if I would word it this way but I don't disagree. There is just some expectation of polish. If you can do that bare faced, thats fine. But when you look at a professional woman and she looks put together, it just inspires confidence somehow. Not right or fair, just is
imo

Idk if I would word it this way but I don't disagree. There is just some expectation of polish. If you can do that bare faced, thats fine. But when you look at a professional woman and she looks put together, it just inspires confidence somehow. Not right or fair, just is
imo

Of course everybody is expected to look clean and put together, but I don't think a woman has to wear makeup to do that. I don't look like a scary cave troll or something if I don't wear makeup. You can barely tell the difference between professional, natural looking makeup and a bare face. I think a lot of the perception of the difference is within the mind of the woman wearing/not wearing the makeup. Other people might be like, "Something's a little different but I can't tell what it is" similar to getting a slight haircut.

Reactions: 4 users
Honestly, I feel like once we (girls) get past a certain point, showing up to professional school/work bare-faced with no makeup on borders on unprofessional. At least put on some BB cream to smooth out your face and look put together. Don't glam out (that's unprofessional too), but don't show up looking like you just crawled out of bed and didn't bother to look put together. Basically, do your face like you would if you were going on an interview. Most girls I saw on interviews had light makeup on (BB cream/light foundation, light colored lipstick, eyeliner and natural eyeshadow with a tint of blush).

I would wager most people who don't look closely wouldn't notice they're wearing makeup, but they don't look like they just rolled out of bed.

I definitely looked like I rolled out of bed on surgery. I had to be there at 4:30, buses don't run that early so I had to walk over a mile in the middle of winter, and I wasn't about to wake up at 3:30 to throw some makeup on that wouldn't last the entire 14-16 hour day anyway. :p

Not wearing makeup doesn't border on being unprofessional. You shouldn't show up to work with your hair a tangled mess and crusties in your eyes and dried drool coming from your mouth, but plenty of women wear zero makeup to work and it's perfectly fine. I do think makeup can increase confidence, especially if someone has a lot of blemishes or dark circles or something like that, but I wouldn't make women feel bad for not wearing makeup to work when it's often hard enough to get out of the house that early in the morning.

Reactions: 22 users
Of course everybody is expected to look clean and put together, but I don't think a woman has to wear makeup to do that. I don't look like a scary cave troll or something if I don't wear makeup. You can barely tell the difference between professional, natural looking makeup and a bare face. I think a lot of the perception of the difference is within the mind of the woman wearing/not wearing the makeup. Other people might be like, "Something's a little different but I can't tell what it is" similar to getting a slight haircut.

I agree with everything but the last part of your post. Not every woman has an even complexion and things of that nature. For some, a light touch of something is a saving grace. For others it just pulls the look together and its good for the image she projects. Its a part of grooming. She looks like she cares when she goes to work.

Obviously, no one has to wear makeup. But not wearing makeup because men don't? People can tell when they are well groomed vs phoning it in too. I don't see anything wrong with it. Its that extra something imo

Reactions: 3 users
I definitely looked like I rolled out of bed on surgery. I had to be there at 4:30, buses don't run that early so I had to walk over a mile in the middle of winter, and I wasn't about to wake up at 3:30 to throw some makeup on that wouldn't last the entire 14-16 hour day anyway. :p

Not wearing makeup doesn't border on being unprofessional. You shouldn't show up to work with your hair a tangled mess and crusties in your eyes and dried drool coming from your mouth, but plenty of women wear zero makeup to work and it's perfectly fine. I do think makeup can increase confidence, especially if someone has a lot of blemishes or dark circles or something like that, but I wouldn't make women feel bad for not wearing makeup to work when it's often hard enough to get out of the house that early in the morning.

100% agree.

I agree with everything but the last part of your post. Not every woman has an even complexion and things of that nature. For some, a light touch of something is a saving grace. For others it just pulls the look together and its good for the image she projects. Its a part of grooming. She looks like she cares when she goes to work.

Obviously, no one has to wear makeup. But not wearing makeup because men don't? People can tell when they are well groomed vs phoning it in too. I don't see anything wrong with it. Its that extra something imo

I didn't say women should not be wearing makeup just because men don't. Lol. It's their choice either way and it shouldn't be a professional requirement. I don't think we actually disagree on anything here, but for some reason you keep making a point of picking out small parts of my posts to disagree with...

You can never go wrong with the right BB cream in your shade. One thing for sure, always always always moisturize your lips. I'm sorry, but that's one thing that bothers the crap out of me in both men and women.

For some reason I thought you went to school in texas

To elaborate on my last point, it's true that SOME women can look put together without makeup/barely any makeup on. But there are also some that will look like they rolled out of bed or something if they don't. Just have some self-awareness and make yourself look well put-together. If that involves makeup, so be it.

It's like the passive aggressive "you look tired today" comment. It's basically saying you don't look as well "put together". Some people are blessed with even skin tone and look great bare-faced, some people will have dark spots and eye-bags that need to be remedied with makeup. That's what I mean by some people without makeup will look borderline unprofessional.

Last edited:

I guess I am lazy but interview make up on a daily basis... :uhno:

Reactions: 1 users
not hefty :rofl:

Try a Papermate Envy 0.7mm. It's got a good, solid feel:

41JOw4hfYhL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

My personal favorite for many years though has been the Pentel Sharp 0.7mm

P205A_1_1.png

Although I'm now thinking about switching over to the Zebra M-301 0.5mm. I also may or may not be obsessed with mechanical pencils ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Try a Papermate Envy 0.7mm. It's got a good, solid feel:

41JOw4hfYhL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

My personal favorite for many years though has been the Pentel Sharp 0.7mm

P205A_1_1.png

Although I'm now thinking about switching over to the Zebra M-301 0.5mm. I also may or may not be obsessed with mechanical pencils ;)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

It's like the passive aggressive "you look tired today" comment. It's basically saying you don't look as well "put together". Some people are blessed with even skin tone and look great bare-faced, some people will have dark spots and eye-bags that need to be remedied with makeup. That's what I mean by some people without makeup will look borderline unprofessional.

My point is that in a lot of cases, the light makeup only makes a subtle difference and the only person who notices is the woman wearing the makeup. So many times a friend of mine will be like trying to hide their face in shame because they think they look totally disgusting without makeup but they actually look totally fine. Nice, even.

My point is that in a lot of cases, the light makeup only makes a subtle difference and the only person who notices is the woman wearing the makeup. So many times a friend of mine will be like trying to hide their face in shame because they think they look totally disgusting without makeup but they actually look totally fine. Nice, even.

lol ok this is why you think I'm nitpicking on your posts. Ok sure your friends may be this way but some of my friends look like death warmed over without a little foundation. Me I have sparse lashes and brows. If they are not addressed I look like I had an unfortunate incident with a fire. Singed. People notice when you look polished. Maybe not in an obvious Kim K glitter lid sort of way but they sure as hell do notice when you don't handle your.. situation lol.

Consider yourself lucky that this is not a concern you have or better yet, don't be stingy and share your beauty nomakeup secrets!

I wear make up, but if someone tells me I need to to look out together I'm going to slap them.

No woman needs to wear make up.
As long as you brush your hair and do something with it I think you're professional enough.
There is a double standard to say women need to wear make up to be professional, but men don't.
Let's just not go there.

Op, if you wear smokey eyes to the hospital then that's wrong. But neutral make up is fine.

Reactions: 10 users
I wear make up, but if someone tells me I need to to look out together I'm going to slap them.

No woman needs to wear make up.
As long as you brush your hair and do something with it I think you're professional enough.
There is a double standard to say women need to wear make up to be professional, but men don't.
Let's just not go there.

Op, if you wear smokey eyes to the hospital then that's wrong. But neutral make up is fine.

except lol I definitely didn't say that so....

I also don't think people walk around telling other people they need to look put together. This is a professional career and the image one puts forth makes an impact. Image is important. You can be an excellent doctor with circles under your eyes if thats what you feel like doing. Again, like I actually said above, no one has to do anything. I just don't see any problem with some polish.

I sincerely don't care if someone chooses not to groom themselves in a certain way. We all know how biases with image works irl. Pick this fight with someone else lol

I never see them do... If anything, just foundation. Is it looked down upon?

I wear makeup everyday. Not full foundation, just a little face makeup(or it comes off on my mask), no lipstick(same reason) but as much eyeliner eyeshadow mascara etc as I can get away with

I look really young without makeup. And if I have a mask on, all anyone can see are my eyes anyway.

Plus, this is how I get away with wearing scrubs to work everyday. If I do my hair and makeup, with my white coat on, patients think I'm all dressed up

Reactions: 7 users
ITT OP thinks that doctors are something other than human beings

Reactions: 3 users
lol ok this is why you think I'm nitpicking on your posts. Ok sure your friends may be this way but some of my friends look like death warmed over without a little foundation. Me I have sparse lashes and brows. If they are not addressed I look like I had an unfortunate incident with a fire. Singed. People notice when you look polished. Maybe not in an obvious Kim K glitter lid sort of way but they sure as hell do notice when you don't handle your.. situation lol.

Consider yourself lucky that this is not a concern you have or better yet, don't be stingy and share your beauty nomakeup secrets!

I guess I'm just frustrated with you because I haven't said that women should never wear makeup, only that they shouldn't be told that they have to wear it to be professional. If you want to wear makeup, go for it!

My beauty nomakeup secret is just that I feel comfortable with the way I look without makeup. That's it. I'm not perfect looking, and I'm fine with that. I look nice and clean. I think it's been better for my skin in the long run that I haven't been clogging my pores with makeup for the last 30 years. People routinely guess that I'm about 10 years younger than I actually am when they look at me. They think my sister who is 8 years younger is the older sister and she has always worn a lot of makeup.

Reactions: 6 users
I guess I'm just frustrated with you because I haven't said that women should never wear makeup, only that they shouldn't be told that they have to wear it to be professional. If you want to wear makeup, go for it!

My beauty nomakeup secret is just that I feel comfortable with the way I look without makeup. That's it. I'm not perfect looking, and I'm fine with that. I look nice and clean. I think it's been better for my skin in the long run that I haven't been clogging my pores with makeup for the last 30 years. People routinely guess that I'm about 10 years younger than I actually am when they look at me. They think my sister who is 8 years younger is the older sister and she has always worn a lot of makeup.

Alright.

You're quoting me but you're not responding to things I actually said so I won't go back and forth on it; you can just look up the thread if you feel like it and address the person you actually disagree with

I don't think that a woman who chooses to appear a certain way as a professional means she's not comfortable with how she looks without makeup. I'm starting to think I'm missing something here. A guy who gets his shoes shined and suits tailored has a different look from a guy who wore his from off the rack. They are both dressed for the job but its a different look and a different level of polish. I know in the business world this is so well understood. I can't imagine how this is any different for professionals in medicine. If you don't care, then it doesn't matter but of course there is a difference. Do what feels right for you.

I also think someone who likes to present herself this way can have great skin if she cares for it. Win/win.

Lol ok I'm going to stop here because it really sounds like I care about this infinitely more than I really do. I'm not that invested.
OP, I don't think anything is wrong with wearing something everyday if thats what makes you feel good.

Alright.

You're quoting me but you're not responding to things I actually said so I won't go back and forth on it; you can just look up the thread if you feel like it and address the person you actually disagree with.

I don't think that a woman who chooses to appear a certain way as a professional means she's not comfortable with how she looks without makeup. I'm starting to think I'm missing something here. A guy who gets his shoes shined and suits tailored has a different look from a guy who wore his from off the rack. They are both dressed for the job but its a different look and a different level of polish. I know in the business world this is so well understood. I can't imagine how this is any different for professionals in medicine. If you don't care, then it doesn't matter but of course there is a difference. Do what feels right for you.

I also think someone who likes to present herself this way can have great skin if she cares for it. Win/win.

Lol ok I'm going to stop here because it really sounds like I care about this infinitely more than I really do. I'm not that invested.
OP, I don't think anything is wrong with wearing something everyday if thats what makes you feel good.

What on earth. This whole conversation is such a mess. You're definitely missing something here.

Last edited:
Makeup should be applied if you have a busted face

Busted face + makeup => Average face

Makeup should be applied if you have a busted face

Busted face + makeup => Average face
uh not at all... last time I checked people are not born with smoky eyelids or red lips.

uh not at all... last time I checked people are not born with smoky eyelids or red lips.

My statement applies to both genders. Don't take it personally.