Do DOs really have to wear different colored scrubs than MDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not and have never tucked in my scrubs, including when I was on my surgery or ICU rotations during training. In the OR, you're wearing a sterile gown over the scrubs anyway, so it's not like your scrub top is going to accidentally fall into the open field! Maybe it is a regional/hospital culture thing as well as a specialty culture thing.

Slobs, all of you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Nurses are far more likely to tuck scrubs in our OR than docs.

In our OR, we have ghastly grey and ICU blue scrubs. They don't mean anything. The grey were issued to everyone a few years ago, trying to get everyone to wear the same color and stop wearing their own personal scrubs in from home. A lot of our docs refused to wear hospital laundered scrubs, and would wear whatever colors and patterns they pleased. So, we decided that everyone had to wear the same color and the color picked was an awful grey. Well, that lasted not long. So, they put in a scrub machine full of blue scrubs and everyone was supposed to wear those. Except some people still preferred the grey, because they had more/better placed pockets. So, our OR is regularly full of blue scrub wearers with a handful of grey wearers running around.

So, was OP in my OR? We do have a number of DOs, one of whom is a frequent grey scrub wearer.

Reactions: 1 users
I do not and have never tucked in my scrubs, including when I was on my surgery or ICU rotations during training. In the OR, you're wearing a sterile gown over the scrubs anyway, so it's not like your scrub top is going to accidentally fall into the open field! Maybe it is a regional/hospital culture thing as well as a specialty culture thing.

No way. I (and every other female here) do not want to have to get completely undressed every time I need to take a pee.
that's why they invented the poop chute duh
large_003_bum.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen ortho, surgery, and obgyn attendings not tuck in their scrubs at the hospital. Never saw a nurse tuck theirs in. Our hospital scrubs that pretty much all physicians wore had short shirts. They would not have stayed tucked in. I am in the south and a female by the way. Some weekend calls I would wear a t-**** with my scrub bottoms and white coat. We had an IM attending that would round in camo pants with his white coat. We are very relaxed here.

I've seen ortho, surgery, and obgyn attendings not tuck in their scrubs at the hospital. Never saw a nurse tuck theirs in. Our hospital scrubs that pretty much all physicians wore had short shirts. They would not have stayed tucked in. I am in the south and a female by the way. Some weekend calls I would wear a t-**** with my scrub bottoms and white coat. We had an IM attending that would round in camo pants with his white coat. We are very relaxed here.
Really so short you can't tuck them in?

I've only seen that when the scrubs at worn at hip level rather than the natural waist (either makes with pot bellies wearing them low or young females rolling the waist to wear them at hip level). I suppose if you had a very long torso I could see it as well.

Are you pre med or a nursing student?

Nurses wear printed scrubs (they also don't tuck them in).

I'm premed. I'll probably just wear this around the house... untucked of course!

OP its true DOs have to wear inferior grey scrubs. However the AOA was discussing with the AMA about a possible scrub merger. However at the current time the scrubs colors differiante between MDs and DOs.

Best bet would be to go to an MD school so you don't have to wear inferior scrubs.

For the love of god don't go to a DO school. Honestly wtf. What sane person has this kinda thing cross their minds.

Says the one w/ A. T. Still for an avatar! :whistle:

Back to scrub tucking vs untucking. As with every other shirt in existence, whether it should be tucked depends partly upon its style.

Nurses working on inpatient units usually wear scrub tops with lots of pockets, because how else are they supposed to carry everything? Doctors on inpatient units who aren't rounding in between OR cases generally wear professional dress. It would look asinine to tuck a scrub top that has all its pockets at the hips, therefore nurses don't tuck them.

In units where scrubs are worn by physicians and nurses alike, they don't usually have lower pockets. Just the single chest pocket which dumps your pen and anything else you are foolish enough to put there every time you lean forward too far. Those are made to be tucked, though many still wear them untucked. Tucked or untucked, you should be able to keep your shirt out of the sterile field with equal success, just by paying attention to where your body is in relation to the field. Most of our contaminations don't come from accidental brushing of untucked scrubs. They happen due to the ignorance of people who aren't used to the environment and don't know what to avoid, or due to disrespect on the part of VIPs who should know better but seem to think that they are too important to have germs. People who brush the C-arm with their shoulders as they muscle past it to get to the back of the room, rather than watching where they are going. Tucked shirts don't fix self-importance or lack of a surgical conscience.

Disclosure: I'm a non-tucker. Too many years wearing the shirts with good pockets made me more comfortable untucked. I already wear pajamas (scrubs) to work, so it is hard to argue that anything is going to make that less slovenly. I do have a co-worker who irons and starches her OR scrubs, so she looks like she is wearing ironed pajamas. Classy.

In units where scrubs are worn by physicians and nurses alike, they don't usually have lower pockets. Just the single chest pocket which dumps your pen and anything else you are foolish enough to put there every time you lean forward too far.

Woe unto the poor fool who puts their iPhone into the chest pocket.

Woe also to the oblivious female who puts heavy objects into the chest pocket and leans forward, seemingly unawares as to the impact of gravity upon the neckline.

Really so short you can't tuck them in?

I've only seen that when the scrubs at worn at hip level rather than the natural waist (either makes with pot bellies wearing them low or young females rolling the waist to wear them at hip level). I suppose if you had a very long torso I could see it as well.

The scrub tops were short not the pants (well unless you were over 6 ft).

Members don't see this ad :)
The scrub tops were short not the pants (well unless you were over 6 ft).

Yes, I understand that.

My point was that except in cases of extremely long torsos, very heavy "apple shaped" people, women with extremely large breasts or people wearing their scrubs around their hips instead of the natural waist, I've never seen scrub tops too short and I've worked at numerous hospitals throughout the US. I've had issues with female medical students rolling down the pants to "hip hugger" level and then their shirt is too shirt, exposing their g strings. :rolleyes:

I was just surprised that's all and was wondering if any of the above were the reason.

Yes, I understand that.

My point was that except in cases of extremely long torsos, very heavy "apple shaped" people, women with extremely large breasts or people wearing their scrubs around their hips instead of the natural waist, I've never seen scrub tops too short and I've worked at numerous hospitals throughout the US. I've had issues with female medical students rolling down the pants to "hip hugger" level and then their shirt is too shirt, exposing their g strings. :rolleyes:

I was just surprised that's all and was wondering if any of the above were the reason.

so when you see such medical students, do you warn/caution them? do you think they are doing it to attract young and/or rich males?

so when you see such medical students, do you warn/caution them?

Yes.

do you think they are doing it to attract young and/or rich males?

Why would a female medical student feel the need to attract "rich males" when she has the capability of making her own money? Besides, young males are rarely rich. You must be thinking of female nursing students.

Rather than assume they are doing it for some ulterior motive, I think they just don't realize how low they are.

Yes.

Why would a female medical student feel the need to attract "rich males" when she has the capability of making her own money? Besides, young males are rarely rich. You must be thinking of female nursing students.

Rather than assume they are doing it for some ulterior motive, I think they just don't realize how low they are.

Okay thank you. I was just remembering a TV show I watched where they were describing young male convicts wearing their pants low and showing their bum to signify that the "backdoor was open for business" for other male convicts.

I was wondering if these female students might be exhibiting similar behavior. It seems strange that they can just walk around showing their G strings and not be aware of it.

Okay thank you. I was just remembering a TV show I watched where they were describing young male convicts wearing their pants low and showing their bum to signify that the "backdoor was open for business" for other male convicts.
:whoa:

I was wondering if these female students might be exhibiting similar behavior. It seems strange that they can just walk around showing their G strings and not be aware of it.

Its not like they're walking around showing it.

When they bend over, the shirt rides up and the underwear shows. Simple as that.

Last edited:
:whoa:

Its not like they're walking around showing it.

When they bend over, the shirt rides up and the underwear shoes. Simple as that.

okay I understand.

also I know it's shocking but that is how 2 males have sex and unfortunately male rape is quite common in prison. Unfortunately in any place where there is limited or no access to women, men will start raping other men for sexual pleasure and release. some of the men become "betches" (they do this to ensure their own survival) and even may put make up on and start talking in a feminine voice.

In pakistan, afghanistan, and other places in the middle east, young and old men will have sex with street boys (this is rampant and very common) to relieve their sexual tensions. Again in those areas, access to women is severely restricted. Young unmarried men in those areas have no outlet for sex except with young boys since pre-marital sex with women can lead to your head being chopped off.

okay I understand.

also I know it's shocking but that is how 2 males have sex and unfortunately male rape is quite common in prison. Unfortunately in any place where there is limited or no access to women, men will start raping other men for sexual pleasure and release. some of the men become "betches" (they do this to ensure their own survival) and even may put make up on and start talking in a feminine voice.

In pakistan, afghanistan, and other places in the middle east, young and old men will have sex with street boys (this is rampant and very common) to relieve their sexual tensions. Again in those areas, access to women is severely restricted. Young unmarried men in those areas have no outlet for sex except with young boys since pre-marital sex with women can lead to your head being chopped off.
Bill-Cosby-confused-gif.gif

Reactions: 3 users

Okay, so this is going to come as a shock, but men aren't all barely restrained animals who immediately begin raping anyone available if they don't have a regular sexual partner. I'm not saying that rape never happens in prison, but it is a lot less common than commonly believed. Similarly for pederasty in the middle east. You are ill-informed, repeating popular but inaccurate stereotypes, and generally making a dingus of yourself. Maybe reconsider whether you want to have posted that.

Reactions: 4 users
Okay, so this is going to come as a shock, but men aren't all barely restrained animals who immediately begin raping anyone available if they don't have a regular sexual partner. I'm not saying that rape never happens in prison, but it is a lot less common than commonly believed. Similarly for pederasty in the middle east. You are ill-informed, repeating popular but inaccurate stereotypes, and generally making a dingus of yourself. Maybe reconsider whether you want to have posted that.

As a male. I would be the last person to perpetuate negative male stereotypes. Also, female prisons also have a rampant problem of females raping other females.

Please look at these links if you think I'm lying:

Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread. PM me if you want to debate this issue.

okay I understand.

8697_f81a.gif

I'm fairly surprised this thread is still open, tbh.

lol why would you think female residents adopt 'prison culture'?

Anyway fun thread. Imagine an interviewee derailing a relevant discussion into a lecture on the sociology of prison rape while you just sit and listen.

lol why would you think female residents adopt 'prison culture'?

Anyway fun thread. Imagine an interviewee derailing a relevant discussion into a lecture on the sociology of prison rape while you just sit and listen.

human nature is more universal than you may think

human nature is more universal than you may think

same goes for your inane hatred and scapegoating URMs as a way to undermine the context of our achievements bc you haven't gotten IIs.

same goes for your inane hatred and scapegoating URMs as a way to undermine the context of our achievements bc you haven't gotten IIs.

I hope you understand that you are derailing your own thread. Anyway, I don't hate URMs and I do believe that there needs to be a higher percentage of URMs in the physician workforce. I just think there is a better way than the one we implement today. Anyway, PM me if you want to discuss it, we should keep this thread on point.

okay I understand.

Are you really lecturing me on human sexuality and breath of behaviors amongst males and in particular, incarcerated males or those without access to female sexual partners?LOL.

Let me assure you as a former doctoral candidate in psychology, a board-certified surgeon, as well as an intelligent adult American woman, I am quite aware of every single thing you've mentioned and probably much more

Reactions: 3 users
Or when they don't tie their scrubs tight enough, and drop trou in the OR one day. As happened to one of my co-interns.

Yep that happened to one of my orthopedic co interns as well.

He was standing on the bed in the trauma bay trying to replace a hip and down his scrub bottoms went. Bill was cute; good times, good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.