Do + em

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artvandelay786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it relatively easy to get into EM as a DO, meaning are there a fair number of residencies in EM for osteopathic-trained physicians? I know that DO's can go into any specialty but that a large number of DO's do go into primary care. I'm somewhat illiterate on the matter and would appreciate some advice on the matter?

EM is pretty much the only aspect of medicine that really excites me (though I do love many other fields). If you're interested to know, I have the stats for an MD school but am interested in the osteopathic philosophy (it's not really BS, google integrative medicine, very reasonable stuff).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

if you do a search this has been discussed in a few other threads. briefly, EM is increasingly competitive, however it is considered one of the DO friendly specialties. for example, the match list at lecom for last year showed 18 students matching allopathic EM and 25 students matching osteopathic.

if you do a search this has been discussed in a few other threads. briefly, EM is increasingly competitive, however it is considered one of the DO friendly specialties. for example, the match list at lecom for last year showed 18 students matching allopathic EM and 25 students matching osteopathic.

Yes, I was only able to find a few brief mentions of it. But that's very impressive!

Members don't see this ad :)

Nail on the head. Do well and plenty of doors will be open for you in the world of EM as a DO or MD.

TCOM also matches a decent percentage of every class into EM.

I know that DO's can go into any specialty but that a large number of DO's do go into primary care.

True, but this is the case for MDs as well. The majority of us will end up in a primary care residency regardless of degree.

EM, as others have mentioned, is one of the more "DO-friendly" specialties out there. While the field is becoming more and more competitive, there are still plenty of positions being filled by DOs in both matches. Work hard, perform well, and the rest will take care of itself.

I agree that EM is very DO-friendly and in particular this true in Michigan!