Do employers care about your GPA? How do they know you are good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigbirdo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that employerss don't really care about GPA as long as you have good hand skills. How true is this? Everyone I saw at dental school is concerned about their GPA then. How do the employers know if you are good when you don't have a good GPA? Tell to do a procedure?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 10 offices and only 1 asked for my GPA (3.2). And the dentist at that office came off as a 5-star douche.

So no (at least for me), they did not care about my GPA.

They do not care for the most part. They will make judgement based upon your character, how you act, appearance, and working interview, as well as how comfortable and confident you appear.

Never heard of an employer looking at gpa that hard. The #1 concern they'll probably have is: can this guy make me money?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard that employerss don't really care about GPA as long as you have good hand skills. How true is this? Everyone I saw at dental school is concerned about their GPA then. How do the employers know if you are good when you don't have a good GPA? Tell to do a procedure?

References and working interviews

How common are working interviews? Are these more often with smaller associate positions or corporate jobs? Are they typically for a day or more than that? Thanks!

How common are working interviews? Are these more often with smaller associate positions or corporate jobs? Are they typically for a day or more than that? Thanks!

Some are a day, some 2 days. I worked for one corporate that hired me without any working interview, didn't really care to have one or not. They're good though to get a feel for the office but never quite reflect the true office a month or two down the line, at least in my case. Both parties are kinda testing the waters.

The vast majority of potential employers aren't concerned with your GPA. A fair number of potential employers will only ask where you went to dental school out of just simple small talk during an interview.

What most employers are looking for, is are you licensed (and if not, when will you be licensed), and then what kind of person you appear to be (personality wise) and what are your basic treatment philosophies. Many potential employers will be far more interested in how your personality and treatment philosophy will mesh with the existing personalities and treatment philosophy that established patients of the practice are accustomed too than what grade you got on a pharmacology exam in your 2nd year of dental school

Reactions: 1 users