DO for Canadians: 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No I havent. I am only going DMC because I live in Windsor. But that's good to know clinicals are in detroit as well.

Did you ever visit the school? I am on the west coast and have not gotten a chance to visit. I've been doing lots of research on the different sites and feel like DMC and Macomb appeal to me more because I won't have to move again during clinical years.

Congratz, my fellow Canadians and future classmates. I was just wondering if you guys ever heard of something called line of credit from Canadian National Bank. My friend told me they provide interest-free loans to students studying in states. Haven't confirmed this information, but i guess it's worth looking into. Are you guys gonna attend the campus tour on Oct 26th?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be attending the Oct. 26, and this National Bank loan may just be my saviour

I heard the same thing about National Bank Line of Credit. A friend of mine got $200,000 with an Australian school acceptance letter. He did need a co-signer though, which is a pain in the butt :scared: Also, he warned me that it may take a long time for the approval process, so you should start as soon as possible if you are interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratz, my fellow Canadians and future classmates. I was just wondering if you guys ever heard of something called line of credit from Canadian National Bank. My friend told me they provide interest-free loans to students studying in states. Haven't confirmed this information, but i guess it's worth looking into. Are you guys gonna attend the campus tour on Oct 26th?
Frostmoon, did you go to UBC as well? When did you graduate?

Frostmoon, did you go to UBC as well? When did you graduate?

Not really, I did my high school in van, but went to University of Toronto afterwards. I just graduated couple months ago...I'm going back to vancouver this winter, if you are interested, we probably could grab a beer and watch a Canucks game~:)

That would be amazing. If you guys find anything out let us know please. I looked into it a little more and it seems that the "no interest" only applies to Quebec residents?

http://www.nbc.ca/bnc/cda/content/0,2662,divId-2_langId-1_navCode-10025,00.html

Just filling out the seconday for Western and I am not sure how to approach this question since I have never shadowed an osteopathic physician. Whileshadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify yourdesire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
How did people who hadn't shadowed osteopathic physicians answered this question? Did you guys talk about how the MD physicians you have followed have solidified your desire to become an osteopath? Or may be how the MD physicians incorporated some osteopathic philosophy? I am not sure how will that sound?

Any input will be much appreciated!

Just filling out the seconday for Western and I am not sure how to approach this question since I have never shadowed an osteopathic physician. Whileshadowing a physician, what did the experience do to solidify yourdesire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
How did people who hadn't shadowed osteopathic physicians answered this question? Did you guys talk about how the MD physicians you have followed have solidified your desire to become an osteopath? Or may be how the MD physicians incorporated some osteopathic philosophy? I am not sure how will that sound?

Any input will be much appreciated!

Yup, that's what I did. Just talked about an MD I shadowed and how he has qualities that are emphasized in the training of osteopathic physicians. I received an interview so I am assuming it will suffice.

On my verified app, one thing that was really wierd was that they put 6 semester hours for prereq courses that I have completed. For instance, I have 2 credits for organic chemistry with lab and those are listed as 6 hours instead of 8, with a deficit of 2 hrs. What is that suppossed to mean? Do I need to take more courses? Or do they list Canadian courses like that but schools automatically consider them as 8 hrs?
As someone replied, I will have to explain it to some schools. But I want to know when should I explain it to them? I am submitting my supp apps at the moment. Should I call them up now or wait until I hear back from them?

On my verified app, one thing that was really wierd was that they put 6 semester hours for prereq courses that I have completed. For instance, I have 2 credits for organic chemistry with lab and those are listed as 6 hours instead of 8, with a deficit of 2 hrs. What is that suppossed to mean? Do I need to take more courses? Or do they list Canadian courses like that but schools automatically consider them as 8 hrs?
As someone replied, I will have to explain it to some schools. But I want to know when should I explain it to them? I am submitting my supp apps at the moment. Should I call them up now or wait until I hear back from them?

It is fine. As long as they see it has the lab component on your AACOMAS then you are fine. If not just give them a call and let them know. You do not have to take more courses.

It is fine. As long as they see it has the lab component on your AACOMAS then you are fine. If not just give them a call and let them know. You do not have to take more courses.

Thanks for your reply. I listed it along with the course name, but still aacomas evaluated it to 6 semester hours. Since I put the lab in the course name, I am assuming that the schools will see that the courses have labs with them. Do you think I still need to call them up and make sure? I don't want to have my application delayed or not get reviewed because of it.

docmayer, this is not entirely accurate. Just listing the lab component on your application may be insufficient ESPECIALLY if the lab component is not listed on your transcript as in the case of some universities. If that's the case then you will need to send AACOMAS a letter from the registrar's office stating that the courses you took included a lab component (this is coming straight from the AACOMAS PDF). Still, some USDO schools might have an issue with your 6.0 credit science courses and might require you to submit your transcript for WES evaluation. Be very vigilant with this matter as some schools are still not as familiar with the Canadian system and you should definitely try to resolve this issue with AACOMAS early in the process to avoid issues later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
docmayer, this is not entirely accurate. Just listing the lab component on your application may be insufficient ESPECIALLY if the lab component is not listed on your transcript as in the case of some universities. If that's the case then you will need to send AACOMAS a letter from the registrar's office stating that the courses you took included a lab component (this is coming straight from the AACOMAS PDF). Still, some USDO schools might have an issue with your 6.0 credit science courses and might require you to submit your transcript for WES evaluation. Be very vigilant with this matter as some schools are still not as familiar with the Canadian system and you should definitely try to resolve this issue with AACOMAS early in the process to avoid issues later on.

I had a WES evaluation. I sent them everything and they still gave me 6.0 credits. There is nothing we can do. It is what it is. I called the schools I applied to and they said "As long as the course you took had a lab component, you are fine."

I would believer her!:eek:

hey my fellow canadians!

Last edited:
I am a Canadian Student with a cGPA of 3.82 and a MCAT of 25Q. Is it too late to apply for MSUCOM and if it isn't, would it be in my best interest to apply with these stats? Should I wait till next years cycle? Any advice would be great! Thank you!

It might still be worth a try. Did you submit your primary application yet?If so, all you need to do is add MSUCOM to your list of schools and the secondary will be emailed to you. I submitted my secondary to MSUCOM in mid November and was accepted in December.

I havent yet no - thats the reason why I thinking about waiting till next year. Should I redo the MCAT or apply with it this year and see what happens. Or wait till next year, write again, and apply?

I am a Canadian Student with a cGPA of 3.82 and a MCAT of 25Q. Is it too late to apply for MSUCOM and if it isn't, would it be in my best interest to apply with these stats? Should I wait till next years cycle? Any advice would be great! Thank you!

I would still try--those stats were similar to mine and I am doing fine this year.

id go for it...

1 school isnt that $$$

Even if I haven't started my AACOMAS application at all yet?

Hey guys,
so I originally applies to like 11 D.O schools. my stats are sGPA 3.60 cGPA 3.66 and MCAT:29 (V8/P9/B12).
But Im now only interested on PCOM! that would be my absolute absolute number 1 choice because I have a sibling attending SALUS! (we would be literally 20 mins away)
however I have heard that PCOM is not specifically Canadian friendly and I am already having trouble getting a letter form an academic advisor (which is their weird requirement).. I have not recieved the secondary yet ( i was verifyed 2 days ago) but I have received the secondary form the Georgia Campus ( which I really dont want to fill out because I dont really want to go there..
But I dont know If I have a decent shot at PCOM.

I just wanted some advice!

Hey guys,
so I originally applies to like 11 D.O schools. my stats are sGPA 3.60 cGPA 3.66 and MCAT:29 (V8/P9/B12).
But Im now only interested on PCOM! that would be my absolute absolute number 1 choice because I have a sibling attending SALUS! (we would be literally 20 mins away)
however I have heard that PCOM is not specifically Canadian friendly and I am already having trouble getting a letter form an academic advisor (which is their weird requirement).. I have not recieved the secondary yet ( i was verifyed 2 days ago) but I have received the secondary form the Georgia Campus ( which I really dont want to fill out because I dont really want to go there..
But I dont know If I have a decent shot at PCOM.

I just wanted some advice!

I don't think any Canadians have ever got into the PCOM main campus. Sorry but if you don't have dual citizenship, you are not going to get in.

I don't think any Canadians have ever got into the PCOM main campus. Sorry but if you don't have dual citizenship, you are not going to get in.

What about the possibility of transferring from the Ga campus to the main in 2nd year? is that a possibility?

To anyone who attends or has been to LMU, how did you guys get there? Did anyone actually drive all the way down? ;)

Flight hotel and car rental was 400 bucks. Can't beat that.

Flight hotel and car rental was 400 bucks. Can't beat that.

Woah, now that's a deal!

I don't know where you departed from but the cheapest flight I could find is at least around 650-- flights only. Which site did you use?

Sooo has everyone already submitted secondaries? Am I the only one left?

Woah, now that's a deal!

I don't know where you departed from but the cheapest flight I could find is at least around 650-- flights only. Which site did you use?

If I were to just book a flight, it would be 650 for me. But if I book a car and hotel and flight package it was 400. I know, it doesn't make sense. And that was for a 3 day car rental and 2 nights at a hotel. Use priceline.com and search "vacation packages" to include flight and hotel and car rentals. I flew out of detroit and into tyson-mcghee airport.

Just curious. Is there no do school in canada? are you guys planning on taking out pvr loans or does canadian government offer financial aid?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using SDN Mobile

Zoner:

There are no DO schools in Canada. I am hopeful to just use private loans for my schooling. I am not sure how others plan to financd

You guys plan on practicing in the us?

Will be using a LOC and OSAP. I hope that will cover everything because I have no other support. I plan on practicing in MI because it borders my home town; although, plans change.

Anyone gather any information on this? Is it only to Quebec residents? Also, is it possible for Canadians to live in the US for one year (during MS1) and then qualify for instate tuition? How does that work?

I would also like to know the answer to this for my fellow Canadian applicants.

Anyone gather any information on this? Is it only to Quebec residents? Also, is it possible for Canadians to live in the US for one year (during MS1) and then qualify for instate tuition? How does that work?

Hey docmayer, I think it's not limited to Quebec residents. My friend lived in Toronto and got that loans. I think it had a upper limit of 200,000. I'm not sure about the living in US and getting qualified for in-state tuition idea, could you shed more light on that? Also I heard if you chose to practice in states after you graduate, the school would actually give back part of your tuition fee (something like 150,000). I am very skeptical about this tho. LOL.

Hey docmayer, I think it's not limited to Quebec residents. My friend lived in Toronto and got that loans. I think it had a upper limit of 200,000. I'm not sure about the living in US and getting qualified for in-state tuition idea, could you shed more light on that? Also I heard if you chose to practice in states after you graduate, the school would actually give back part of your tuition fee (something like 150,000). I am very skeptical about this tho. LOL.

Oh goodness, that would be AMAZING. I am going to look into the "interest free" loan once my exam period settles down. However, if anyone finds any info on this please let me know.

Also, is it possible for Canadians to live in the US for one year (during MS1) and then qualify for instate tuition? How does that work?

No u get locked into tuition at matriculation.

additionally even if u didn't get locked in, being on a student visa you cannot establish residency anyways.

I know this because I did my ug in usa. I've actually been living in california the last 11 years and am still not considered a resident of california.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

If I were to just book a flight, it would be 650 for me. But if I book a car and hotel and flight package it was 400. I know, it doesn't make sense. And that was for a 3 day car rental and 2 nights at a hotel. Use priceline.com and search "vacation packages" to include flight and hotel and car rentals. I flew out of detroit and into tyson-mcghee airport.

Thanks man.

Congrats on your acceptances! Must be so stoked :laugh:

Last edited:
Oh goodness, that would be AMAZING. I am going to look into the "interest free" loan once my exam period settles down. However, if anyone finds any info on this please let me know.
Have either of you heard of a LOC higher than 200K?

Have either of you heard of a LOC higher than 200K?

CIBC gives 250k, but you need a cosigner. I am hoping they will give a little more if my moms house gets put on collateral. Sigh...MSU Y U SO EXPENSIVE??!!?!? :scared:

What's the tuition rate at MSU for Canadians?

CIBC gives 250k, but you need a cosigner. I am hoping they will give a little more if my moms house gets put on collateral. Sigh...MSU Y U SO EXPENSIVE??!!?!? :scared:
On the CIBC website they quote $225,000. Did they tell you $250,000 in person?

Don't forget living expenses, those can add up quite a bit!

On the CIBC website they quote $225,000. Did they tell you $250,000 in person?

Someone posted in DO for Canadians FB page and said they were told in person you can qualify for 250k.

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how friendly is UNECOM for Canadians? I have a supplemental sitting around and I am too lazy to fill it out if I know there are little to no chances.