DO friendly ACGME programs in the northeast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyorkgiants

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what university programs are friendly to DO students in the northeast with Step 1 scores in the 240-245 range? Would it be helpful to do an audition rotation at one of these hospitals?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are tons of NYCOM grads in and around the NYC programs. Stony Brook, NYHQ, Hackensack, NYMC are all worth looking into.

There's a ton of DO friendly residencies in the northeast, including Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany. Audition rotations are always a huge help unless you have a terrible personality

I was going to say I know of people from my school matching to Albany, Rochester, NYMC, NYHQ, Maimonides, SIUH, Brooklyn Hospital (maybe skip this one), Hackensack and Stony Brook. that's just one schools recent spots in/near NY.

It does seem a few places dont often take DOs, but there are tons who do.

I was going to say I know of people from my school matching to Albany, Rochester, NYMC, NYHQ, Maimonides, SIUH, Brooklyn Hospital (maybe skip this one), Hackensack and Stony Brook. that's just one schools recent spots in/near NY.

It does seem a few places dont often take DOs, but there are tons who do.

Current EM applicant here. Stony Brook has no DOs in any of their residency classes or residency leadership, and only one in their faculty. A classmate who interviewed there was told by the senior resident that the academic executives instruct PDs not to take DOs, or else give a really good reason.

I'm curious why you suggest skipping Brooklyn Hospital?

Current EM applicant here. Stony Brook has no DOs in any of their residency classes or residency leadership, and only one in their faculty. A classmate who interviewed there was told by the senior resident that the academic executives instruct PDs not to take DOs, or else give a really good reason.

I'm curious why you suggest skipping Brooklyn Hospital?

The stony brook one is from having DO attendings who are relatively young and trained there. But I can't comment on current PDs. I know North Shore LIJ (one of their two programs) had a similar thing: New PD, New priorities.

And a good number of my friends, and myself, all agree that Brooklyn Hospital was the only place we interviewed and did not rank because we would be immensely unhappy there. Seemed like a mess of a program. They had a new PD, so maybe they're changing, but I interviewed early on in his tenure and didn't see anything I liked at that point except it's location. Maybe two years later its different