DO Friendly Critical Care Programs on the West Coast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slycaper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any DO friendly critical care programs on the west coast? I'll be applying to medicine and anesthesia programs as a EM resident. I've been through quite a few of the programs sites and I'm not seeing many. Anyone out there in a CC program as a DO on the west coast?

Members don't see this ad.

My friend, I'm not sure anyone has enough experience with this as it is to even make that kind of recommendation, being as EM into CC is so "new". The added context of being a DO is just too obscure. Being as there are really very few on the west coast, even when you add medicine to the anesthesia spots, apply to them all, why not??

My friend, I'm not sure anyone has enough experience with this as it is to even make that kind of recommendation, being as EM into CC is so "new". The added context of being a DO is just too obscure. Being as there are really very few on the west coast, even when you add medicine to the anesthesia spots, apply to them all, why not??

I'd really like to be on the west coast (I'll apply broadly) so I probably will but historically from what I've gathered the west coast California specifically is not DO friendly in any specialty. I just wanted to check and see if things are changing or at the fellowship level things were different.

I'd really like to be on the west coast (I'll apply broadly) so I probably will but historically from what I've gathered the west coast California specifically is not DO friendly in any specialty. I just wanted to check and see if things are changing or at the fellowship level things were different.

Yes, there is that reputation for sure, and I don't know that it's simply because there are so few big academic centers comparatively? Anyhow, even with critical care begin to heat up more in relative competitiveness, most of the IM people are still gravitating towards pulm/crit and as I understand it anesthesia critical care still sometimes has trouble filling their spots, BUT some of the better known and well regarded anesthesia programs are on the west coast. My guess is that you'll find a medicine program that will care more about filling their spots than about any DO.

I mean, it's just getting to the point these days that DO isn't really that big of a distinction. At least it doesn't seem that way to me. I hope it doesn't hold you back. Good luck.