DO friendly internal medicine university programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intotherain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For prosperity sake and to aid future internal medicine applicants, the following are university programs that have taken at least one DO for internal medicine. Whether or not the acceptance of 1 DO into a program constitutes a "DO friendly" designation remains to be debated, but for reference sake I hope this serves its purpose. Please feel free to contribute any others that I may have missed or unaware of.

Indiana, Iowa, UIC, Wake Forest, Rochester, CCF, OSU, Loyola, Texas A&M, UT-Houston, UPenn, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Temple, UMinn, OHSU, UVM, VCU, GW, Louisville, Georgetown, UVa, UMDNJ-RWJ, UMDNJ-Newark, UWash, Kentucky, Utah, Arizona, Loma Linda, USC, UCDavis, Colorado, UConn, Howard, UMiami, UFlorida, FSU, UCF, USF, Emory, MCG, Rush, SIU, Kansas, LSU, Tulane, JHU-Bayview, UMass, Wayne State, Mayo, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, St. Louis, Creighton, New Mexico, Nebraska, Drexel, Albany, Downstate, Stony Brook, Buffalo, Hofstra NSLIJ, Upstate, Cincinnati, Penn State, MUSC, Tennessee, UT-Southwestern, Texas Tech, UT-San Antonio, MCW, Baylor, UT-Galveston, Wisconsin, Toledo,

**only categorical and PC track applies for above. Prelims don't count.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Baylor, UT-Galveston.

Reactions: 1 user
Might it be easier to list the programs that are _not_ DO friendly? That list is smaller because it consists of mostly the upper tier academic shops.

Members don't see this ad :)
how far did you go back in finding if these places took a DO before? within the last 5 years?

Might it be easier to list the programs that are _not_ DO friendly? That list is smaller because it consists of mostly the upper tier academic shops.

I would look on VSAS. If I recall, there are like 4 that don't accept DO students for externships. I believe Wash U in St Louis is one. That might be a good start for what programs aren't very DO friendly.

There are some schools with conflicting evidence from VSAS and the OP's list of schools - I checked VSAS a few days ago, and both Dartmouth and UVM don't allow DOs to rotate for 2013-2014, but they have previously accepted DOs. UVM is an interesting case because DOs may contact the departments themselves instead of going through VSAS.

I wonder what this means from schools who accept(ed) DOs, but don't let them complete electives at their hospitals.

how far did you go back in finding if these places took a DO before? within the last 5 years?

I can't tell you exactly when but these are some of the places I've heard of DO's matching into in the many years I've been following these threads. if someone can attest to them that would be great. I'm sure it doesn't happen frequently at some of these places, but I still think its a great idea to be aware of them especially for those entering application season.

Last edited:

According to FREIDA, there are 137 university programs in the country. Some of the places that I have personally not heard of DOs matching into (and I could be wrong):

Duke, Michigan, WashU, MGH, BID, UCLA, Stanford, Northwestern, UCSF, UChicago, JHU, Maryland, Tufts, BWH, NYU, Mount Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, UNC, UPMC, Vanderbilt.

Last edited:
According to FREIDA, there are 137 university programs in the country. Some of the places that I have personally not heard of DOs matching into (and I could be wrong):

Duke, Michigan, WashU, MGH, BID, UCLA, Stanford, Northwestern, UCSF, UChicago, JHU, Maryland, Tufts, BWH, NYU, Mount Sinai, Columbia, Cornell, UNC, UPMC, Vanderbilt.

unfortunately Michigan is by far one of the most prejudiced institutions about taking DO's. Ironic when considering the state of Michigan has so many of them

In all honesty, I don't feel these institutions will change their views until they combine medical degrees. If/when that ever happens

unfortunately Michigan is by far one of the most prejudiced institutions about taking DO's. Ironic when considering the state of Michigan has so many of them

yeahh...put NYU right next to Michigan. They even say on their IM Residency FAQ:

Do you accept Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine graduates?
We are sorry, but we do not accept Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine graduates.

But at least they're straightforward about it, helps you to not waste time or money applying there.

cleveland clinic is pretty big too. though it not "university affiliated"

I could possibly see this changing in the future. In the past they've taken a DO in their ophthamology program as well as their typical DO friendly programs (gas, PMR, FM).

IM at UMich is extremely difficult to obtain wether you are a DO or MD, regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could possibly see this changing in the future. In the past they've taken a DO in their ophthamology program as well as their typical DO friendly programs (gas, PMR, FM).

IM at UMich is extremely difficult to obtain wether you are a DO or MD, regardless.

UMich, also matched a DO into their anesthesiology residency program. Small steps but a definite progress within the institution as a whole.

I think its also important to note that most of these programs are considered to be some of the most competitive programs for medicine in the country. Many would argue them to be at least in the top 15 in terms of academic reputation/prestige and so naturally would be difficult for even the most competitive USMD AOA grads. I feel a well qualified DO would have a great shot at many of the programs outside of the top 15 or 20.

Last edited:
For prosperity sake and to aid future internal medicine applicants, the following are university programs that have taken at least one DO for internal medicine. Whether or not the acceptance of 1 DO into a program constitutes a "DO friendly" designation remains to be debated, but for reference sake I hope this serves its purpose. Please feel free to contribute any others that I may have missed or unaware of.

Indiana, Iowa, UIC, Wake Forest, Rochester, CCF, OSU, Loyola, Texas A&M, UT-Houston, UPenn, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Temple, UMinn, OHSU, UVM, VCU, GW, Louisville, Georgetown, UVa, UMDNJ-RWJ, UMDNJ-Newark, UWash, Kentucky, Utah, Arizona, Loma Linda, USC, UCDavis, Colorado, UConn, Howard, UMiami, UFlorida, FSU, UCF, USF, Emory, MCG, Rush, SIU, Kansas, LSU, Tulane, JHU-Bayview, UMass, Wayne State, Mayo, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, St. Louis, Creighton, New Mexico, Nebraska, Drexel, Albany, Downstate, Stony Brook, Buffalo, Hofstra NSLIJ, Upstate, Cincinnati, Penn State, MUSC, Tennessee, UT-Southwestern, Texas Tech, UT-San Antonio, MCW

Tulane's IM residency does not take DO's, but their med-peds program does

Wisconsin had taken a DO ~4-5 years ago (he/she became a chief, in fact) but it seems like no DOs have been taken since.

Hopkins Bayview is really stingy on taking DOs (and it's not a truly 'university' program either), so I guess we could throw in UC Northshore as well.

UPMC apparently took a DO this year...that was a surprise.

Wisconsin had taken a DO ~4-5 years ago (he/she became a chief, in fact) but it seems like no DOs have been taken since.

Hopkins Bayview is really stingy on taking DOs (and it's not a truly 'university' program either), so I guess we could throw in UC Northshore as well.

UPMC apparently took a DO this year...that was a surprise.

thanks for your contribution. Wisconsin is def a great program. I was also surprised by the UPMC match this year at NYCOM but it turns out it was actually at Shadyside, a community program affiliated with pitts. are you referring to another person?

Funny how IM, though less competitive overall than anesthesiology, seems to be less-DO friendly than the latter. Especially since some of these IM programs have a good number of IMGs and FMGs.

Funny how IM, though less competitive overall than anesthesiology, seems to be less-DO friendly than the latter. Especially since some of these IM programs have a good number of IMGs and FMGs.

I think you eluded to this, but there are many more IM programs than Gases. If I remember correctly, medicine has the greatest number of programs. So, the list of non-friendly programs will be longer.

Last edited:

anesthesiology is not competitive, that's a premed and SDN myth.

Avg step 1 / 2 scores for US seniors...
IM: 226 / 237
Anesthesia: 226 / 235

...and that's including all the people matching at crappy community IM programs. university IM programs, especially highly sought after ones due to location or reputation are extremely competitive, way more than the top anesthesia programs

thanks for your contribution. Wisconsin is def a great program. I was also surprised by the UPMC match this year at NYCOM but it turns out it was actually at Shadyside, a community program affiliated with pitts. are you referring to another person?

Ah. Yeah I figured the UPMC match had to be at one of the affiliates. Somebody on one of the boards was trying to claim there was a DO match at the UPMC mothership, but I haven't seen any real evidence backing this up.

Indiana, Iowa, UIC, Wake Forest, Rochester, CCF, OSU, Loyola, Texas A&M, UT-Houston, UPenn, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Temple, UMinn, OHSU, UVM, VCU, GW, Louisville, Georgetown, UVa, UMDNJ-RWJ, UMDNJ-Newark, UWash, Kentucky, Utah, Arizona, Loma Linda, USC, UCDavis, Colorado, UConn, Howard, UMiami, UFlorida, FSU, UCF, USF, Emory, MCG, Rush, SIU, Kansas, LSU, Tulane, JHU-Bayview, UMass, Wayne State, Mayo, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, St. Louis, Creighton, New Mexico, Nebraska, Drexel, Albany, Downstate, Stony Brook, Buffalo, Hofstra NSLIJ, Upstate, Cincinnati, Penn State, MUSC, Tennessee, UT-Southwestern, Texas Tech, UT-San Antonio, MCW

I have only seen Yale take DOs in there primary care IM program. I have not seen Yale take any for their categorical tract program.

For Brown, I have not seen their IM program take any DOs at all (whether it is categorical or primary care tract).

As for UT Southwestern, I have not seen them take any DOs in their IM categorical tract at their main university hospital program in Dallas. They did take a DO graduate from TCOM, but it was a prelim (one year) spot and she is supposed to continue with neurology afterwards. However, UT Southwestern does match DOs at their other IM program in Austin (it is under the Seton hospital).

You can add Baylor College of Medicine -- they have taken a DO before.
http://www.bcm.edu/medicine/residency/index.cfm?pmid=12007

That was three years ago. I have noticed that they have not taken any DOs last year or the previous year. Also, it looks like they have cut down the matching of foreign medical graduates recently into their IM program (based on last year's and the previous year's resident roster list).

what is the different between categorical and primary IM residency for me if i were to pursue a fellowship afterwards? is primary more difficult to get a fellowship?

Just remembering some things from when I applied...SIU-Carbondale and UI-Peoria have both taken DOs (UI-Peoria in fact has a $10k signing bonus if you're an American grad)...these aren't the most 'academic' programs, but they're not truly community programs either.

Toledo takes DOs, although they basically appear to be an FMG sweatshop by their previous rosters.

Hennepin County takes DOs...I interviewed there...it's also not a truly 'academic' program, but it's very good...arguably one of the best community progs in the country...experience is solid and fellowship matching is very good.

MCG also has taken DOs, as has East Carolina University (IIRC).

I keep hearing rumors that Jefferson took a DO for IM this year...but again, I haven't seen any direct evidence of this.

Just remembering some things from when I applied...SIU-Carbondale and UI-Peoria have both taken DOs (UI-Peoria in fact has a $10k signing bonus if you're an American grad)...these aren't the most 'academic' programs, but they're not truly community programs either.

Toledo takes DOs, although they basically appear to be an FMG sweatshop by their previous rosters.

Hennepin County takes DOs...I interviewed there...it's also not a truly 'academic' program, but it's very good...arguably one of the best community progs in the country...experience is solid and fellowship matching is very good.

MCG also has taken DOs, as has East Carolina University (IIRC).

I keep hearing rumors that Jefferson took a DO for IM this year...but again, I haven't seen any direct evidence of this.

What defines academic and community programs?

if there is a university attached (strong ties) with the hospital

There is definitely a spectrum.

Academic programs are traditionally based at a Hospital run by the school they're affiliated with. These programs also often send residents to VA hospitals, community hospitals, and (uncommonly) county hospitals which often serve the indigent.

Some universities do not have hospitals, so they contract with a community hospital, but everything else is the "academic" setting.

Some community programs are large and send residents to multiple institutions.

Others are at one hospital only.

There is definitely a spectrum.

Academic programs are traditionally based at a Hospital run by the school they're affiliated with. These programs also often send residents to VA hospitals, community hospitals, and (uncommonly) county hospitals which often serve the indigent.

Some universities do not have hospitals, so they contract with a community hospital, but everything else is the "academic" setting.

Some community programs are large and send residents to multiple institutions.

Others are at one hospital only.

This! Not to mention that there are a lot of university (academic) IM programs that like to keep their IM residents for fellowship afterwards. Also, I feel like there are more opportunities for research at academic programs (in comparison to a community program at just one hospital).

UChicago took a DCOM student from 2012 match. He/she is at the Evanston campus

UChicago took a DCOM student from 2012 match. He/she is at the Evanston campus

UC Northshore =/= U Chicago, sorry. The Northshore campus has lots of DOs, the other one...nope.

UC Northshore =/= U Chicago, sorry. The Northshore campus has lots of DOs, the other one...nope.

:thumbup:

This is a common mistake that is fairly annoying. The hospitals and medical schools share some blame for their branding/marketing decisions.

UCSF-Fresno is not the same as UCSF.
Mayo AZ != Mayo.
CCF FL != CCF.
JHU Bayview/Sinai != JHU (Osler).
Also, I've had many a facepalm to see "Harvard" listed without the associated GME program. It's a medical school, not a hospital, with several affiliates (MGH, BWH, BCH, BIDMC, CHA).

:thumbup:

This is a common mistake that is fairly annoying. The hospitals and medical schools share some blame for their branding/marketing decisions.

UCSF-Fresno is not the same as UCSF.
Mayo AZ != Mayo.
CCF FL != CCF.
JHU Bayview/Sinai != JHU (Osler).
Also, I've had many a facepalm to see "Harvard" listed without the associated GME program. It's a medical school, not a hospital, with several affiliates (MGH, BWH, BCH, BIDMC, CHA).

With respect to the more recent matriculants, this may be a bit misleading. Bayview is becoming more selective as their PGY-1s and 2s come from strong schools - UCSF, Michigan, Mt. Sinai, & Yale to name a few. Though missing from the list are HMS, UPenn, Columbia which are found in Osler's list.

Point is, they seem to be a bit more similar as of late.

Bayview: http://www.hopkinsbayview.org/medicine/residency/currentresidents.html

Osler: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Medicine/hstrainingprogram/alumni/newsletters/2012_spring.pdf

Last edited:
Odd, why is one of the chief residents a DO then?

He's the only one, though. Don't know the story there, maybe connections? Nobody has followed him and I doubt it's for a lack of applicants.

Odd, why is one of the chief residents a DO then?

He was med/peds, and then did a chief year in medicine.

Here's from their IM residency's website:

"1. Applicants to Tulane must be graduates from AAMC-accredited US medical schools who will have successfully completed their medical school curriculum with distinction by June of 2012."

"1. Applicants to Tulane must be graduates from AAMC-accredited US medical schools who will have successfully completed their medical school curriculum with distinction by June of 2012."

I'm feeling a bit superior after reading that because even my lowly DO self knows the AAMC doesn't accredit medical schools (the LCME does). That and my usmle scores are higher than their listed 232 average. Your loss, Tulane, because I love NOLA and would have totally gone there if they had given me the chance! Pure foolishness.

So they are willing to take a DO as a chief resident who came from the med peds program but won't take a DO directly? That's ridiculous, it sounds like someone needs to review their policy.

If a DO can be good enough to be a chief resident, why not let DO's apply?

So they are willing to take a DO as a chief resident who came from the med peds program but won't take a DO directly? That's ridiculous, it sounds like someone needs to review their policy.

If a DO can be good enough to be a chief resident, why not let DO's apply?

you do realize that chief resident is mostly an administrative job right? you make schedules, resolve conflicts, order free lunches, organize orientation and social events, organize and sometimes lead educational activities.

you do realize that chief resident is mostly an administrative job right? you make schedules, resolve conflicts, order free lunches, organize orientation and social events, organize and sometimes lead educational activities.

Doesn't change anything.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but this thread got me looking, and I guess University of Connecticut's IM program is dual-accredited.

If their chief resident is a DO, it means they take DO's.

If their chief resident is a DO, it means they take DO's.

No, the reason this guy is being discussed is the program in which he is a chief does not take DOs. Try reading at least the posts on the last page of the thread before you decide to post a comment.

No, the reason this guy is being discussed is the program in which he is a chief does not take DOs. Try reading at least the posts on the last page of the thread before you decide to post a comment.

I did... Trying to follow your logic. They don't take DOs in there IM program even though they are a very DO friendly program overall (not just IM) and they have a DO currently in there program? :confused: Doesn't really make sense man.

I did... Trying to follow your logic. They don't take DOs in there IM program even though they are a very DO friendly program overall (not just IM) and they have a DO currently in there program? :confused: Doesn't really make sense man.

It's SDN. Nobody takes DOs.

Using this thread as a reference, I've subjectively ranked IM programs that have accepted DOs in the past. This rank is based solely on academic reputation and admit it will be subject to much debate. Please feel free to rearrange as you see it while making sure to include your reason.

Tier 1a:
UPenn, UWash, Yale, UTSW, Mayo

Tier 1b:
Brown, UVa, Wake Forest, Dartmouth, OHSU, Wisconsin, Colorado, Emory, Baylor

--
Tier 2a:
Iowa, Ohio State, Rochester, Indiana, Minnesota, Georgetown, Temple, RWJ, Utah, VCU, GWU, Tulane

Tier 2b:
UVM, Rush, UIC, Loyola, Tulane, CCF, UMDNJ-Newark, UCDavis, Tulane, MCW, Penn State, MCG, UT-Houston, Cincinnati, Florida, USC

--
Tier 3a:
UConn, Louisville, UMiami, UMass, Hofstra North Shore-LIJ, Creighton, Oklahoma, MUSC, LSU, FSU, Texas A&M, Arizona,

Tier 3b:
Stony Brook, Upstate, New Mexico, SIU, , Kansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, St. Louis, Wayne State, Texas Tech, Tennessee, UCF, USF, Mississippi, Missouri, Loma Linda

--
Tier 4:
Downstate, Drexel, Albany, Buffalo, Howard, St. Louis,

Using this thread as a reference, I've subjectively ranked IM programs that have accepted DOs in the past. This rank is based solely on academic reputation and admit it will be subject to much debate. Please feel free to rearrange as you see it while making sure to include your reason.

Not a bad list. But, as a DO who just matched into one of these programs and interviewed at a lot of them, I'll throw in my two cents.

Tier 1a:
UPenn, UWash, Yale, UTSW,

Tier 1b:
Mayo, Brown, UVa, Wake Forest, Dartmouth, OHSU, Wisconsin, Colorado, Emory, Baylor

--
Tier 2a:
Iowa, Ohio State, Rochester, Indiana, Minnesota, Georgetown, Temple, RWJ, Utah, VCU, Tulane, UF-Gainesville

Tier 2b
UVM, Rush, UIC, Loyola, UMDNJ-Newark, UCDavis, MCW, Penn State, UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, USC

--
Tier 3a:
UMiami, UMass, MUSC, New Mexico, Cincinnati, Kentucky, GWU, Louisville, CCF, Tennessee, USF, Nebraska, Creighton, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Stony Brook, Upstate, Arizona, LSU, Hofstra North Shore-LIJ

Tier 3b:
Kansas, MCG, UConn, St. Louis, Wayne State, Texas Tech, Mississippi, Missouri, Loma Linda,

--
Tier 4a:
Downstate, Drexel, Albany, Buffalo, Howard, St. Louis, ECU, UTMB

Tier 4b:
SIU, EVMS

In the end, you'll be fine if you match at any of these programs (and many other university programs) if that's where you want to be.

FSU is a brand new IM program and didn't take DOs when I last looked; maybe their policy has changed, but it's almost entirely FMGs anyways. UCF hasn't even started their IM residency yet.

Other university programs that take DOs, but don't fit into any tier: South Dakota, South Alabama, Western Michigan, VT-Carilion, Mercer, ETSU