DO going PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoReMiFaSo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[PM&R interest thread for D.O.s]

Hi, I'm about to be an OMS1 in a week. Any upperclassman could comment on specializing in PM&R as a D.O.? What to do in med school? PM&R related exposure/opportunities while in med school? PM&R as an elective rotation? Matching into PM&R? PM&R residency experience? etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Your school might have a PM&R club you can join. If not, try to start one. If it's still what you want to do in 4th year, schedule audition rotations at places you are considering for residency. This is the one field where DOs might even have an advantage over MDs at ACGME residencies. Get to know as many people in the field as possible (the PM&R club is a good start for this).

Reactions: 1 users
You will likely find this helpful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pm-r-advice-to-applicants.1114792/

Any upperclassman could comment on specializing in PM&R as a D.O.?
PM&R is one of the most DO friendly specialties. You definitely have a chance to match if you play your cards right.

What to do in med school?
Be a great medical student. Get great board scores.

PM&R related exposure/opportunities while in med school?
Depends on your area, but I check for affiliate PM&R sites. If there aren't any, then you can attempt to establish one locally.

PM&R as an elective rotation?
Absolutely. If you have never rotated in PM&R, you will be unlikely to match. A PM&R letter of rec is a large determinant of who gets residency interviews. Not only do you need one...you need it to be strong.

Matching into PM&R?
Read the link above and it will give you what you need to know.

PM&R residency experience? etc...
Not in residency yet...but it's a great field for someone interested in wellness, quality of life (for your patients), and musculoskeletal medicine. I have yet to come across a PM&R resident or attending who is unhappy...which says quite a bit.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
j4pac, thank you sensei! Your links are tremendously helpful, especially all the math you cranked out and the various references checked, already saved them into word docs to keep.

Reactions: 1 user
Like Jpac said.

for the first 2 years, just focus on coursework and the best step 1 score you can get.

Audition rotations and PM&R for Selectives are great, go for it.

Yes Doc, will do! My school starts early. I'm less than one week removed from commencing OMSI. Gonna dive in head first into the pool of anatomy+histology+embryology trifecta. For some reason my school thinks this combination of classes is the most perfect "welcome to med school kid" gift... -.-

Your school does not start early. Most DO schools start in a week or so. I start Aug. 3rd. The school that does start early is AT Still. Classes started right after the July 4th weekend.
I'm also interested in PM&R. I was told to not worry about specialty until I aced the boards. Preferably both the USMLE and COMLEX.

Yes Doc, will do! My school starts early. I'm less than one week removed from commencing OMSI. Gonna dive in head first into the pool of anatomy+histology+embryology trifecta. For some reason my school thinks this combination of classes is the most perfect "welcome to med school kid" gift... -.-

[PM&R interest thread for D.O.s]

Hi, I'm about to be an OMS1 in a week. Any upperclassman could comment on specializing in PM&R as a D.O.? What to do in med school? PM&R related exposure/opportunities while in med school? PM&R as an elective rotation? Matching into PM&R? PM&R residency experience? etc...
I am an OMS-II interested in PM&R and I cold emailed a bunch of rehab and neuro PI's and landed some research this summer. The research will help a little, I think, but more importantly the connections I made with physicians will be awesome. Good luck starting your first year!

Reactions: 1 users
Tons and tons and tons of DO's go into PM&R. Three Interns at my program went into that out of 10 interns. It's very common and very popular specialty.

Reactions: 1 user