Do grades from Community College count in GPA calculation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tino33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a transfer student in california. I transfered with 90 units at 4.0 GAP from a community college to a UC. But at the UC I now have a 3.6 since they don't count previous work towards your gpa at UC's and I got a few Bs.

Does anyone know if med schools will take that into consideration? or average my GPAs because if they do it would bump me up to close to 3.85!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, the grades that you received from the community college will be factored into your gpa for purposes of your med school application. So good news for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I'm a transfer student in california. I transfered with 90 units at 4.0 GAP from a community college to a UC. But at the UC I now have a 3.6 since they don't count previous work towards your gpa at UC's and I got a few Bs.

Does anyone know if med schools will take that into consideration? or average my GPAs because if they do it would bump me up to close to 3.85!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Thank you,

Looks like you are doing a great job!

Keep it up.

Yes AMCAS takes the overall GPA from all of your college courses regardless of where they were earned.

Is community college the same thing as polytechnic college?

Is community college the same thing as polytechnic college?
not sure but regardless all grades from any "college" count. Whether thats a community college, trade school, tech school, itt tech/devry, vocational, etc etc...

not sure but regardless all grades from any "college" count. Whether thats a community college, trade school, tech school, itt tech/devry, vocational, etc etc...

Thanks man.

Even if it was a non-academic class that your received credit for at a community college it counts. My EMT certification counts as 12 credit-hours of college credit since it was at a community college.

Thats the best news I've heard all week!!! I was freaking out about the GPA and trying to get it to 3.7 but this is awesome! Thank you everyone for the replies.

Even if it was a non-academic class that your received credit for at a community college it counts. My EMT certification counts as 12 credit-hours of college credit since it was at a community college.

Wtf 12. Mine is only 6. Hate.

Sweeeeet. I think I'm gonna take a general ed. English class at community college then. :p

What! You guys got credit for the EMT class?
Not only that, but it also counts as a science class too.

That said, an EMT in my state can do almost as much as a paramedic in some of our adjoining states...

I heard that they factor in that the community college classes are easier. Is that true? if so do you know how they factor it? do they count them as .75 of a grade or what? :)