Do I apply next round, and questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dynamicmind01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum is amazing! I just found it today, and I am so happy.

I have a few questions about applying to Clinical Psychology PhD programs.

I graduated 3 years ago from a a top tier university.

My GREs are M: 780, V: 750, Psych: 800.

My GPA, to be honest, blows...3.39 (though to be honest, it's ALL my freshman year grades that suck, I was 1500 miles from home and miserable...basically all As after that first rough year)

When I graduated, I taught in a classroom for two years. 4th grade. Kinda was amazing, but not the right career for me. Last summer, I finished my two year contract, and got a job in research.

As of now, I work 40 hours a week in two research labs. I have two first authored publications, and two second author publications, and then a book chapter. My profs in my labs really like me, I think I'll get great letters, and they both have great reputations for getting folks into programs.
My questions are:

1) Am I totally a lost cause with a low GPA like that? I want to apply to programs like Yale, Penn State. I realize those programs are one in a million. Do they do a lot of weed out there? Should a 3.4 be ok for the cut?

2) I have some "clinical experience"---obviously, my own classroom. Also, some of the research work I do now is pretty clinical by nature (I've been trained on the AAI, SCID IV). Is this enough? I can't imagine they really expect more than that.

3) On average, how many offers do folks get, let's say if they apply to ten schools? I know this one girl last year who applied to 20 programs and got nothing, but I think that was because she had low GRES (and was incredibly obnoxious!)

4) I took a few courses while I was out of college and teaching. Just to keep my brain fresh. Two psychology courses, two statistics courses. Can I include these in my GPA calculations?

5) Am I cool to apply the next round? Some guy told me I should get 2 full years of RA experience BEFORE I EVEN APPLY. Isn't that a bit overkill? Because then, after the glide year, I'll have 3 years, plus the 2 I taught.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldnt be worried at all about your GPA. Anyone who would look at your transcript would see the trend and it would probably just remind them of how crappy freshmen year in undergrad was for them as well. .

As far as schools, you mentioned Yale and PSU, which are great schools but only if they have the people and resources to allow you to do what you want to do.

As a far as how many...how many match with your clinical/research goals and how many are also a good fit for you personally?

In sum you should be fine as long as you keep what you really want ahead of you, discern the good advice from the bad, and really love what you see yourself doing with the phd.

So, I can probably apply next Fall? Anything else I can do to improve? Also,what about the GPA undergrad, and the courses I took after? Can I add those courses in to bring it up or not?

As far as schools, you mentioned Yale and PSU, which are great schools but only if they have the people and resources to allow you to do what you want to do.

As a far as how many...how many match with your clinical/research goals and how many are also a good fit for you personally?

+1. It sounds like you might be looking at the application process the wrong way. It's not about what school is "best" overall, it's what school is best for what you want to study. Make sure you figure that out first because the best stats in the world won't get you in unless you also fit the program.

No, you guys misread my post. Maybe it's because I typed that at 4am. I totally understand faculty, orientation match, et cetera. My question is more along the lines of weeding out. For example, I want to apply to work with Ken Levy at PSU. He's 100% match for my orientation, my research goals, et. cetera. But with a 3.3, will my app even make it that far? I realize going to programs is all about match, but I was more concerned about how to think about this issue with a low ball GPA. I guess people are saying with my GREs, I shouldn't worry about it much. I realize this board is not a bunch of soothsayers, so I guess only time will tell. I feel really cool that I just used the word soothsayer :thumbup:

Ah, great, got it. In that case, look at each program's minimum, they should state it explicitly. And I would argue that it matters just how highly ranked/respected your undergrad is. That's not something we talk about much on here but I think there is more leeway for people with low-GPAs from top universities.

Ah, great, got it. In that case, look at each program's minimum, they should state it explicitly. And I would argue that it matters just how highly ranked/respected your undergrad is. That's not something we talk about much on here but I think there is more leeway for people with low-GPAs from top universities.

I second that. I had barely a 3.4 in undergrad but I went to a top tier private school that proactively guarded against grade inflation. When reviewers look at my CV, they ask me about my experience rather than my GPA. All things considered, having around a 3.4 at a great school, especially in light of your GREs, is a good thing and not a bad thing.

As for your question of combining your GPA...it would be inappropriate to combine post-graduate courses with your overall undergrad GPA. However, if you list them on your CV somewhere next to your undergrad stuff, the nature of the courses (stats) and the fact that you did well will be enough to look great. I dont remember any of the programs that I applied to having explicit GPA cut-offs other than one, which was a 3.3 (which is actually where I am now). However, I have heard MANY stories of programs with a GPA "cut-off" that accept people below the cut-off because they are a great fit and have many other stats that bring up their overall application...which, it seems, you have.

Here is the bottom line. GPA and GRE are simply ways to assess the likelihood that an individual has the academic ability and potential to succeed in a grad program. All things considered, with your GPA, combined with classes you took after, and your GRE score, only a real ***** would question your academic ability and potential.

4) I took a few courses while I was out of college and teaching. Just to keep my brain fresh. Two psychology courses, two statistics courses. Can I include these in my GPA calculations?

Were these graduate or undergrad courses?

They were actually high-level undergraduate classes in Statistics. I took four. I think they are relevant because they show my level of ability to do quant psychology work, analyze my own data. I only had one stat course in Undergraduate, and I got a B in it because it was graded on a curve.

I personally would include them in my undergrad GPA since they were undergrad courses. The school will be able to tell this just by looking at your transcripts, so it doesn't seem deceptive to me. I don't know what others think about this. You could even specify both GPA's as cumulative and composite.

My boss told me two years is pretty standard, but I know people who applied right after graduating undergrad and got in. Those are some awesome GREs!

i went to a well-respected, but not "top ranked" undergrad. my gpa was lower than yours. i got into one of those "top ranked / highly respected" phd programs, and no one ever asked me about my gpa. (i, like you, also had good gre scores, research experience, pubs, and a very good research match).

Status
Not open for further replies.