Do I even have a chance? please give me your input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr Doc Turr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior in college now. I am planning on taking the MCAT in either April or May.

My school GPA is 3.034 ( I know, its low)

I put my grades into a reliable AMCAS GPA calculator and it shows my GPA as 2.97. My science GPA is even lower at 2.73 (brutal)

I have a good, but not great amount of volunteer hours as well.

My GPA has been on a slight, slight incline since the end of my sophomore year. I still have 40 credits to take so that might increase my GPA... BUT the AMCAS will only factor in my grades after this semester if I apply this summer. So, not much of a difference there.

I am going to study my heart out for the MCAT and my question is...

Would a great MCAT score give me a chance to get into medicals school, or should I just give it up and try again next year?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree. Take more time to work on your GPA.

Even a 45 MCAT score will not rescue a non-competitive GPA like yours for MD schools. You're barely on life support for the newest DO schools as well.

You will need to ace everything from now on. A powerful rising trend might help, but as you point out, you've only had a minimal rise.

I suggest that you retake all F/D/C science coursework and try DO schools. But if you're boning for an MD, acing a post-bac or SMP, plus MCAT are mandated.

Apply with the best possible package, even if it means delaying a year. med schools aren't going anywhere.

Also, fix whatever deficits you have that got you into this mess.

I'm a junior in college now. I am planning on taking the MCAT in either April or May.

My school GPA is 3.034 ( I know, its low)

I put my grades into a reliable AMCAS GPA calculator and it shows my GPA as 2.97. My science GPA is even lower at 2.73 (brutal)

I have a good, but not great amount of volunteer hours as well.

My GPA has been on a slight, slight incline since the end of my sophomore year. I still have 40 credits to take so that might increase my GPA... BUT the AMCAS will only factor in my grades after this semester if I apply this summer. So, not much of a difference there.

I am going to study my heart out for the MCAT and my question is...

Would a great MCAT score give me a chance to get into medicals school, or should I just give it up and try again next year?

Reactions: 1 user